UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Yikes on prospects of 2020 CFB season?
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation Yikes on prospects of 2020 CFB season?
This...this is not good...

Iowa Pausing Ticket Sales for 2020 Season
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020 09:18 PM by blazr.)
06-23-2020 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
RE: Yikes on prospects of 2020 CFB season?
Better get those season ticket orders in quickly if this is going to be the trend.

Navy has switched from selling tickets to having folks fill out an interest form. Also, their game against Notre Dame will be played in Annapolis this year because the trip to Ireland was canceled.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020 09:20 AM by BlazerFromMD.)
06-23-2020 09:14 AM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

Fortunately, we have a 70k seat stadium available to spread out our ~25 - 30k fan base. We may not have room, unless space is reserved, for the opponent’s fan base.
06-23-2020 09:49 AM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
1. Watch the difficulty that the professional leagues are going to have restarting.
2. Watch for threat of legal action around the exposure of scholarship athletes to the virus.
3. Watch the US daily COVID deaths. Currently it has been trending down, but has started to flat-line. Total coronavirus cases have trended down, started the flat-line, and now are ticking up.
4. Many of the major universities (much like us) are associated with major hospitals, and they are dealing with the overflow of COVID patients from surrounding areas. There will be significant pressure from the major money-makers of university systems (doctors) on the chancellors and presidents to not add to the hospital stress by having crowds of any size.

If we have a football season this year, it won't resemble normal.
06-23-2020 10:59 AM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(06-23-2020 09:49 AM)MAN4UAB Wrote:  Fortunately, we have a 70k seat stadium available to spread out our ~25 - 30k fan base. We may not have room, unless space is reserved, for the opponent’s fan base.

I don’t think we have a problem at all. My fear is that enough P5 programs shut it down that the NCAA shuts it all down. Or even just considering UAB, if some of the G5/CUSA schools, with smaller stadiums, on our schedule shut things down it’s all chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-23-2020 11:04 AM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(06-23-2020 10:59 AM)GreenMississippi Wrote:  2. Watch for threat of legal action around the exposure of scholarship athletes to the virus.

I say this cynically but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this is covered in the waiver schools are having athletes sign when they return to training

06-23-2020 11:09 AM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
I don't believe those waivers will hold up in court. I'm leaning towards we aren't having college football this fall. The pro leagues can more easily force their players to be in certain places at certain times. Keeping 18-22 years out of group settings is not going to be easy. The last thing the NCAA needs is to start up a limited season, and then have multiple teams get hit with the virus in large numbers.
06-23-2020 11:24 AM
Blazer Engineer Offline
Skull Splitter

(06-23-2020 09:49 AM)MAN4UAB Wrote:  Fortunately, we have a 70k seat stadium available to spread out our ~25 - 30k fan base. We may not have room, unless space is reserved, for the opponent’s fan base.

yeah I need to socially distance from the folks across the isle from me..lol
06-23-2020 11:28 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I think the big hammer yet to drop is when a football player gets seriously ill from this or even dies. The imagery of a d1 football player on a ventilator while his teammates are told to practice is all its going to take to shut the whole thing down.
06-23-2020 11:32 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(06-23-2020 11:04 AM)blazr Wrote:  

I don’t think we have a problem at all. My fear is that enough P5 programs shut it down that the NCAA shuts it all down. Or even just considering UAB, if some of the G5/CUSA schools, with smaller stadiums, on our schedule shut things down it’s all chaos.

I don't know about the rest of Division I, but UAB (ADMI tv interview with Fox6 in late April) (and much more quietly UAT (press release during the NFL draft) are on record that they have made decision to play a full football schedule this fall regardless of what the NCAA or conferences decide. The only caveat was that the dates and opponents may change. They stated they had spoken to enough "like minded" universities in the region that playing a full schedule was certainly doable.

By the way, the NCAA is on record that it is steering clear will not be making any blanket decisions regarding the 2020 football season. That decision has been solely left to the individual schools and each state.
06-23-2020 11:33 AM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(06-23-2020 11:33 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  

I don't know about the rest of Division I, but UAB (ADMI tv interview with Fox6 in late April) (and much more quietly UAT (press release during the NFL draft) are on record that they have made decision to play a full football schedule this fall regardless of what the NCAA or conferences decide. The only caveat was that the dates and opponents may change. They stated they had spoken to enough "like minded" universities in the region that playing a full schedule was certainly doable.

By the way, the NCAA is on record that it is steering clear will not be making any blanket decisions regarding the 2020 football season. That decision has been solely left to the individual schools and each state.

So we might actually play UA in football??? 03-lmfao
06-23-2020 12:32 PM
Advertisement

MAN4UAB Offline
All American

(06-23-2020 11:28 AM)Blazer Engineer Wrote:  

yeah I need to socially distance from the folks across the isle from me..lol

I thought that’s what the offseason was for????? Lol
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020 12:37 PM by MAN4UAB.)
06-23-2020 12:32 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
(06-23-2020 12:32 PM)blazerwkr Wrote:  
(06-23-2020 11:33 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  

So we might actually play UA in football??? 03-lmfao

We laugh, but "like-minded" universities might be limited to the southeast and a few outliers. I think more likely is the SEC playing an all-SEC schedule, and the other schools playing a cobbled schedule. But if it is more than just Vanderbilt deciding not to play, some of the C*USA, AAC, and Sun Belt schools might end up with an SEC-heavy schedule. A rump season like this is a pretty good excuse to play a real-yet-exhibition game with your in-state rival that you'd never play otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020 12:46 PM by GreenMississippi.)
06-23-2020 12:45 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
I’m sad that blazerman or blazin bham arent here to add their two cents.
06-23-2020 12:55 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Surely you don’t need me here to bring traffic back to the site with opposing views. Let’s just remain quiet while the season gets cancelled for political reasons and then we start to lose sports permanently. I’m sure those kids on scholarship will enjoy finding a different school to play for next summer.
06-23-2020 01:53 PM
BatesUAB Online
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
(06-23-2020 01:53 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  Let’s just remain quiet while the season gets cancelled for political reasons and then we start to lose sports permanently.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you (or anybody else for that matter) bloviating on an internet message board has absolutely zero effect on the outcome. You might as well be standing in a field yelling at cows, which most of here would prefer to the nonsense we've seen from you and others when this topic comes up. So if you're going to do it, please do it where the rest of us don't have to hear it.

For my part, I've resigned myself to the fact we aren't playing ball this year. It's the old "don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed" mentality. I expect to have a lot more free time and money this fall, and if I do get to end up watching the Blazers play, well, call it a pleasant surprise.
06-23-2020 02:10 PM
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
03-lmfao03-lmfao like a moth to the flame...

can you PLEASE just stop calling yourself a UAB fan and leave the board?
06-23-2020 03:01 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

Well that escalated quickly...
06-23-2020 09:18 PM
HooBlazer Offline
Water Engineer

I have been optimistic until the last week. Looking at the national COVID numbers and the reports of players testing positive, the inability to quarantine players, and the diversity of schools and settings where football takes place, I do not think there will be football in the fall.
06-23-2020 09:57 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I think pro leagues will force through because they are professional players being paid to take the risk. I just dont see how you can do the same thing with amateur players though. Hope I'm wrong. We are going to have the best team we've had in the Clark era this year and I REALLY want to see this team play.
06-23-2020 10:05 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.