Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Professional collegiate league
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Professional collegiate league
https://thepcleague.com/

League trying to start up next year and getting the one and dones with the idea that with social media, these players are very marketable. Looking to start with 8 teams according to AJC article.

I hope it succeeds. These people don't need to be in college. And they can get paid without going overseas.
06-22-2020 10:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Professional collegiate league
8 teams? They can't get 80 players who have NBA potential to play for them instead of going to college. There aren't that many freshmen in college in any given year with NBA potential. The 2019 NBA draft selected 14 freshmen.

The NBA G-League is trying to fill one team with potential one-and-done NBA prospects, and they don't yet have a complete roster, even though they're going to pay each player $125,000.
06-22-2020 11:19 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I don’t think these guys necessarily want to recruit exclusively 1-and-done players. I think they are going after any kid who can play at a high collegiate level. Their carrot is immediate compensation. They definitely have hopes and expectations that some of their players will get drafted, but not necessarily at age 18 or 19.

They want the kids that will start at a P5 or Big East school then bounce around the G-League or international teams for a few years, and maybe play sparingly on a NBA roster. The perk they seem to be offering is that their league will cap at 22 year olds so all of the competition will be developmental players, not grown adults.
06-23-2020 06:33 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Yeah, making it a U23 league makes it more attractive to players who are not ready for the competition level of EuroLeague or even the G-League.

In terms of getting the best players they can get, they should look at underclassmen who declare for the NBA draft but are not chosen. Last year there were 90 underclassmen (ie, not seniors) who declared for the draft and stayed in the draft, making them ineligible to play any more college hoops. 42 of those 90 were chosen in the draft. The 48 who were not chosen would be a solid group for this U23 league, of course some would opt to play in Europe or Australia if they continue playing at all.
06-23-2020 12:57 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline

(06-23-2020 12:57 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Yeah, making it a U23 league makes it more attractive to players who are not ready for the competition level of EuroLeague or even the G-League.

In terms of getting the best players they can get, they should look at underclassmen who declare for the NBA draft but are not chosen. Last year there were 90 underclassmen (ie, not seniors) who declared for the draft and stayed in the draft, making them ineligible to play any more college hoops. 42 of those 90 were chosen in the draft. The 48 who were not chosen would be a solid group for this U23 league, of course some would opt to play in Europe or Australia if they continue playing at all.

Those 48 would be a great place to start.

I’m curious as to what their promotional plan is. How do they plan on gaining traction in those 8 markets and then of course, what’s the broadcast plan?
06-23-2020 01:06 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
It was supposed to be this summer, but they postponed before the virus hit.

There was an AJC article where they were showing this one player who signed with Duke had more exposure on social media than Duke and there was a HS or all-star game that got more viewership than a Duke game. So the idea is to use social media to drum up interest, play over the summer where they aren't competing with the NBA, pay them 50-150k and try to make a profit.
06-23-2020 02:32 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

At an average of 100K a player x 15 players x 8 teams that’s $12M in salary for just your players and that’s not counting payroll taxes, medical insurance, etc that the league would need to make. Not to mention the tuition they are promising as well as a training and coaching staff.

Maybe they trim the rosters or trim the salaries down but operating this league could be pricy.
06-23-2020 02:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.