Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Covid issue hits the University of Houston
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Covid issue hits the University of Houston
Stewart Mandel
@slmandel

NEWS: The University of Houston is immediately suspending all voluntary workouts after six symptomatic student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19.

5:16 PM · Jun 12, 2020·TweetDeck

Stewart Mandel
@slmandel
·
8m

This is the first one I've seen where the athletes were symptomatic.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020 04:32 PM by TerryD.)
06-12-2020 04:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Covid issue hits the University of Houston
Wow - symptomatic...

I wonder if they just forgot the a
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020 04:34 PM by dbackjon.)
06-12-2020 04:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
This will be the story of this athletic season. Who can stay healthy and virus free?
06-12-2020 04:34 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
If they're not on their deathbed, nothing really to see here.
06-12-2020 05:27 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-12-2020 05:27 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  If they're not on their deathbed, nothing really to see here.

Wow, that is ******* disgusting.

You know people (including healthy young adults) can have lasting side affects from Covid?
06-12-2020 05:51 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(06-12-2020 05:27 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  If they're not on their deathbed, nothing really to see here.

There is, if you're a Houston fan.

In addition, what's happened at Houston could just as easily happen to your Broncos.

There is something to see here, especially given the fact that 8 Alabama/Auburn players have tested positive, as well.

Moreover, for every athlete who contracts Covid-19 as a result of practicing with teammates and failing to take adequate precautions, there could be dozens of other students and staff on campus who become sick. Some entire campuses could be adversely affected.

Some college presidents may question whether its worth having a FB season if it would involve increased risk of a campus-wide epidemic.
06-12-2020 06:39 PM
Advertisement

jedclampett Offline
All American

(06-12-2020 04:34 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  This will be the story of this athletic season. Who can stay healthy and virus free?

exactly.
06-12-2020 06:40 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
(06-12-2020 04:33 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Wow - symptomatic...

No I think that was accurate. From what I can tell, they didn't test the athletes when they got on campus at the beginning of the month. They screened them but didn't test them unless they had a temperature of 100.2 or higher. That's how a lot of schools are planning on doing this, but some are testing everyone as a precaution.

So 6 of their athletes were working out with teammates and started demonstrating symptoms that led to them getting tested - whether it was fever, a cough, or whatever.

I posted on the Rice site that I think athletic departments need to test all of the student-athletes before they begin the workouts. It's probably expensive, but I wonder if campuses will think it's a worthwhile expense because it will give them a good guide as to how things might look in 2 months when all of the students return to campus.
06-12-2020 06:59 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-12-2020 06:59 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  
(06-12-2020 04:33 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Wow - symptomatic...

No I think that was accurate. From what I can tell, they didn't test the athletes when they got on campus at the beginning of the month. They screened them but didn't test them unless they had a temperature of 100.2 or higher. That's how a lot of schools are planning on doing this, but some are testing everyone as a precaution.

So 6 of their athletes were working out with teammates and started demonstrating symptoms that led to them getting tested - whether it was fever, a cough, or whatever.

I posted on the Rice site that I think athletic departments need to test all of the student-athletes before they begin the workouts. It's probably expensive, but I wonder if campuses will think it's a worthwhile expense because it will give them a good guide as to how things might look in 2 months when all of the students return to campus.

Wow - they are opening themselves up for major liability
06-12-2020 07:02 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Well---this is what happens when you dont have a plan beyond "crossing your fingers and hoping for the best". We apparently didnt even bother testing our kids when they reported and had no ongoing regular periodic testing plan set up....the only "plan" in place was to test just those that exhibited actual symptoms. So, learn a lesson at our expense---the "Crossing Your Fingers and Hoping for the Best Plan" appears to have a significant failure rate. Apparently, its a significant expense---but if you want to play this year---your going to have to do it.

Ive said this from the start---my belief continues to be the season will start on time but will never be completed. There are over 13K FBS football players---and that doesnt include coaches, families, and support staff (and their families). I suspect most, if not all teams will be dealing with outbreaks and quarantines by the mid-way point of the season.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020 08:12 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-12-2020 08:03 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(06-12-2020 08:03 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Well---this is what happens when you dont have a plan beyond "crossing your fingers and hoping for the best". We apparently didnt even bother testing our kids when they reported and had no ongoing regular periodic testing plan set up....the only "plan" in place was to test just those that exhibited actual symptoms. So, learn a lesson at our expense---the "Crossing Your Fingers and Hoping for the Best Plan" appears to have a significant failure rate.

The "Crossing Your Fingers and Hoping for the Best Plan," which seems to be the plan in a lot of U.S. States, sounds like what they would have done during the medieval era.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020 08:19 PM by jedclampett.)
06-12-2020 08:11 PM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

TCU purchased 2 machines that can give the results back in 15 minutes. They want to be ahead of anyone spreading the virus.
06-12-2020 08:18 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(06-12-2020 08:18 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  TCU purchased 2 machines that can give the results back in 15 minutes. They want to be ahead of anyone spreading the virus.

Good idea.

But perhaps it's time for them to take more drastic measures:

06-12-2020 08:26 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(06-12-2020 04:31 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Stewart Mandel
@slmandel

NEWS: The University of Houston is immediately suspending all voluntary workouts after six symptomatic student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19.

5:16 PM · Jun 12, 2020·TweetDeck

Stewart Mandel
@slmandel
·
8m

This is the first one I've seen where the athletes were symptomatic.

I would think most in the P5 are going to bust it to try to have a season the SEC included. I know revenue is the driving force but I really think here almost in mid June that it's going to be a fool's errand.
06-12-2020 08:27 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(06-12-2020 08:18 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  TCU purchased 2 machines that can give the results back in 15 minutes. They want to be ahead of anyone spreading the virus.

Stock symbol of said machines, please and thank you.
06-12-2020 08:27 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

(06-12-2020 08:27 PM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  

I don't know to be honest. I'll see if I can find out who the manufacturer is in the next few days.
06-12-2020 08:53 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Ten athletes at Iowa State just tested positive for Covid.

Two of them were football players.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/...177149001/
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020 08:59 PM by TerryD.)
06-12-2020 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chester Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama

Dang $traight. (Or are you not being facetious?) 03-razz
06-12-2020 09:14 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

That's Abbot Labs, ABT ~ but since the test was approved by the FDA back in May, it may be priced into the stock by now.

And that's absurd ... if a college athlete recovers from the coronavirus with a permanent reduction in lung capacity or permanent reduction in heart functioning, that's going to hamper their peak performance.

That might not be as big a deal in the MAC, but in the P5 schools were the rosters have plenty of NFL draft prospects who might no longer be draft prospects if they take too much permanent damage to their cardiovacular or pulmonary systems, that's going to be a concern.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2020 09:00 AM by BruceMcF.)
06-13-2020 04:52 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(06-13-2020 04:52 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

That's Abbot Lab's, ABT ~ but since the test was approved by the FDA back in May, it may be priced into the stock by now.

And that's absurd ... if a college athlete recovers from the coronavirus with a permanent reduction in lung capacity or permanent reduction in heart functioning, that's going to hamper their peak performance.

That might not be as big a deal in the MAC, but in the P5 schools were the rosters have plenty of NFL draft prospects who might no longer be draft prospects if they take too much permanent damage to their cardiovacular or pulmonary systems, that's going to be a concern.

...not to mention the adverse consequences of potential permanent cardiopulmonary damage to those student athletes with severe cases of Covid-19 who have no aspirations to play in the NFL, or those whom they might transmit the virus to.
06-13-2020 06:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.