Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Unofficial EMU Reurning to Classes Thread
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Unofficial EMU Reurning to Classes Thread
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/202...ester.html

"EMU is the only public university in Michigan to offer a single room to everyone who wants one with the “EMU Single Room Guarantee,” the university stated in a news release. Students who do wish to have a roommate also will have that option, officials said."

Good move by EMU. 04-cheers

EMU continues to make really good moves. Very good leadership. I'm thinking of the college of engineering, moving the school of business back on campus, the new health facility and partnership with St. Joes, SAPC, buying the land off of N. Huron which can be developed or sold in the future.

And a good student-friendly move for on campus housing during the pandemic.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2020 09:20 AM by emu steve.)
06-11-2020 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: Unofficial EMU Reurning to Classes Thread
(06-11-2020 09:10 AM)emu steve Wrote:  https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/202...ester.html

"EMU is the only public university in Michigan to offer a single room to everyone who wants one with the “EMU Single Room Guarantee,” the university stated in a news release. Students who do wish to have a roommate also will have that option, officials said."

Good move by EMU. 04-cheers

EMU continues to make really good moves. Very good leadership. I'm thinking of the college of engineering, moving the school of business back on campus, the new health facility and partnership with St. Joes, SAPC, buying the land off of N. Huron which can be developed or sold in the future.

And a good student-friendly move for on campus housing during the pandemic.

Sounds good.04-bow
06-11-2020 09:41 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
I would love to say this is a great idea, but that assessment will be made in the future. The fixed cost of a dorm room are akin to those of a hotel room or an airplane seat, discounting a dorm bed to 50% certainly will have a negative return on investment. When I went to EMU, I wanted roommates, the more the merrier.

That said, a bold move like this is, as Steve said, an "outside the box" idea that Pres Smith has been known for. I wanted roommates, but I did not enter college during a global pandemic. The term "gap year" did not exist at the time. EMU, CMU and WMU were doing just fine financially in the fall of 1974. Unfortunately life in the fall of 2020 is incredibly different than the past.

I'm not sure this idea will work. I am certain, however, that whining about the lack of state support and maintaining the status quo, will not.
06-11-2020 08:16 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

https://www.freep.com/story/news/educati...336920002/

More details.... and Dr. Smith is optimistic about enrollment. (Last paragraphs).
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020 07:13 AM by emu steve.)
06-12-2020 12:28 AM
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(06-11-2020 08:16 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  I would love to say this is a great idea, but that assessment will be made in the future. The fixed cost of a dorm room are akin to those of a hotel room or an airplane seat, discounting a dorm bed to 50% certainly will have a negative return on investment. When I went to EMU, I wanted roommates, the more the merrier.

I agree with your concerns monetarily, Jerry, but I think this is the key part: "In order to make the guarantee, the university will reopen two residence halls — Phelps and Buell. Those dorms had been scheduled to be used as swing space while construction went on in other parts of campus, but the pandemic slowdown has affected construction plans."

These rooms were not planned to be used, so rather than generating 0 revenue, they will at least re-coop some operating expenses. Plus, in my opinion, when a student lives on campus they are more likely to stay in school and build a connection with the EMU "community." (i.e. consistent tuition dollars plus a better connected alumnus, who might donate or pay money for sports tickets). And like you said, I bet many students will still want roommates anyway.
06-12-2020 08:48 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(06-12-2020 08:48 AM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  
(06-11-2020 08:16 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  I would love to say this is a great idea, but that assessment will be made in the future. The fixed cost of a dorm room are akin to those of a hotel room or an airplane seat, discounting a dorm bed to 50% certainly will have a negative return on investment. When I went to EMU, I wanted roommates, the more the merrier.

I agree with your concerns monetarily, Jerry, but I think this is the key part: "In order to make the guarantee, the university will reopen two residence halls — Phelps and Buell. Those dorms had been scheduled to be used as swing space while construction went on in other parts of campus, but the pandemic slowdown has affected construction plans."

These rooms were not planned to be used, so rather than generating 0 revenue, they will at least re-coop some operating expenses. Plus, in my opinion, when a student lives on campus they are more likely to stay in school and build a connection with the EMU "community." (i.e. consistent tuition dollars plus a better connected alumnus, who might donate or pay money for sports tickets). And like you said, I bet many students will still want roommates anyway.

Agree with you Frank.

This appears to be beautifully thought through and somewhat fortuitous that two residence halls are available for this 'swing purpose.'

I'll repeat a point I've suggested before, Wayne State is an excellent, largely commuter college. If someone doesn't want to live on or near campus (and they are from metro Detroit) they can take a short(er) commute to WSU.

And I'd love to know the know of the number of Washtenaw County students who go to say CMU, GVSU, WMU, etc. instead of staying at home and going to EMU (as a commuter student).
06-12-2020 10:25 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(06-12-2020 10:25 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(06-12-2020 08:48 AM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  

Agree with you Frank.

This appears to be beautifully thought through and somewhat fortuitous that two residence halls are available for this 'swing purpose.'

I'll repeat a point I've suggested before, Wayne State is an excellent, largely commuter college. If someone doesn't want to live on or near campus (and they are from metro Detroit) they can take a short(er) commute to WSU.

And I'd love to know the know of the number of Washtenaw County students who go to say CMU, GVSU, WMU, etc. instead of staying at home and going to EMU (as a commuter student).

Damn Frank and Steve, you guys are pretty bright, as well as informed. I am impressed!

Frank, you are correct, we then have no sunk costs. Also Steve you present a compelling point with regards to commuting versus Kzoo, Gr Rapids, Mt Pleasant, etc... Hopefully we are doing the analytics to determine our potential conversion of theses students. Based on his aggressive actions to date, I assume the Pres is.
06-12-2020 06:33 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

Just heard UofM (MARYLAND) will be open, hold in-person classes, etc. etc.

Here is the kicker:

Dorms will go from 3 or 4 students to 2 students.

EMU went to 1 student.

Kudos to EMU, unless all of the social creatures attending EMU want a roomie.
06-16-2020 09:25 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

The swing space residential halls, Buell and Phelps have two distinctive different layouts. I lived in Buell my freshman year and it has one entrance, two bedrooms with a common center room. Phelps, like most dorm rooms on campus have one entrance for a two person room that has an adjoining restroom with another dorm room. I feel confident that EMU has thought out how to deploy these assets in the most effective way and if we have unused capacity, the Prez is indeed making a compelling, low cost offer to attract new students.

That said, maybe I am just an out of time old fart, but I cannot envision "going away" to college and living by myself. Then again, these times are radically different.
06-16-2020 05:00 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

06-18-2020 04:17 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
06-18-2020 05:08 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

06-20-2020 07:42 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
08-02-2020 08:06 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

[quote='emu79' pid='16926627' dateline='1596373571']
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020...ities.html

EMU has two reported cases.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2020 09:20 AM by emu steve.)
08-02-2020 09:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.