RE: 5 Alabama and 3 Auburn football players has tested positive for COVID-19
The show must go on 07-coffee3
06-07-2020 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
good they can get over it and be immune this fall..

There is little to no reason for healthy 20 something year olds to fear Covid. 42% of all deaths came from nursing homes, where .06% of the population lives.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2020 07:19 AM by goodknightfl.)
06-08-2020 07:17 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Haven't there been cases of people that has had Rona getting it again?
06-08-2020 09:00 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(06-08-2020 07:17 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  good they can get over it and be immune this fall..

There is little to no reason for healthy 20 something year olds to fear Covid. 42% of all deaths came from nursing homes, where .06% of the population lives.

Millennials way of thinking. Gotta love it. How about A-symptomatic young 20 yr olds unknowingly passing it along to those who should fear it?
06-08-2020 09:03 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(06-08-2020 09:03 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(06-08-2020 07:17 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  good they can get over it and be immune this fall..

Millennials way of thinking. Gotta love it. How about A-symptomatic young 20 yr olds unknowingly passing it along to those who should fear it?

Nick Saban is 68. Which definitely puts him in the high risk group
06-08-2020 09:50 AM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(06-08-2020 09:50 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Exactly. It easy just to put the focus on the football players but it goes so far beyond just them.
06-08-2020 01:14 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Season cancelled
06-08-2020 01:25 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California

We know that Alabama and Auburn are never going to cancel a football season, there's too much money to lose. Just as we know that colleges are too dependent on their regular budgeted amount of tuition revenue to cancel a school year.

So the question is, are they doing enough to minimize the spread.
06-08-2020 01:34 PM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB

Right, because 25% of college teams aren't made up of overweight people. And all of the coaches aren't old.
06-08-2020 01:51 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(06-08-2020 01:34 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

We know that Alabama and Auburn are never going to cancel a football season, there's too much money to lose. Just as we know that colleges are too dependent on their regular budgeted amount of tuition revenue to cancel a school year.

So the question is, are they doing enough to minimize the spread.

Not just Bama or Auburn but sports in general.
06-08-2020 03:09 PM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course

WHO now says very little chance that a-symptomatic can infect others.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptom...-says.html
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2020 04:42 PM by MinerInWisconsin.)
06-08-2020 04:39 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(06-08-2020 04:39 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

Great news! Hope they don't come back two weeks from now and say, "furthering research now shows.......".
06-08-2020 04:47 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

Be very careful of technical language, however ... an "asymptomatic" case is a person without symptoms for the entire course of the infection.

People who are asymptomatic at a point in time will be split between those who will end up having an asymptomatic infection and those who are presymptomatic and will display symptoms sometime in the coming week.

People who are presymptomatic can quite definitely spread new infections.

And, of course, a majority of people who show symptoms have mild cases.

The point is, if someone is infectious, then the test should detect the virus, so it is feasible to screen people and put players who are infectious into quarantine, and monitor the for those cases that turn serious to put those into hospital.

With Alabama reopening early, and becoming a hot spot for new cases as a result, despite under-testing, it should surprise nobody that some of the players are found to be infected. But as long as they test frequently and quarantine the positives until the infection has cleared, it ought to be possible to keep training camp from becoming an opportunity to infect the bulk of the team.
06-08-2020 05:20 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(06-08-2020 05:20 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  With Alabama reopening early, and becoming a hot spot for new cases as a result, despite under-testing, it should surprise nobody that some of the players are found to be infected.

But as long as they test frequently and quarantine the positives until the infection has cleared, it ought to be possible to keep training camp from becoming an opportunity to infect the bulk of the team.

That may be wishful thinking with a disease that is as infectious as Covid-19.

The HC would have an obligation to take strong measures to protect athletes when some test positive. Simply quarantining one player at a time might not be sufficient.

One reason is that Covid-19 testing is not 100% reliable. There are false-negative tests - - persons infected who are not detected. All it would take would be a couple of days of practicing in close proximity to a teammate with undetected Covid-19 to infect half the team.
06-08-2020 06:27 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-08-2020 06:27 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  
(06-08-2020 05:20 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  With Alabama reopening early, and becoming a hot spot for new cases as a result, despite under-testing, it should surprise nobody that some of the players are found to be infected.

But as long as they test frequently and quarantine the positives until the infection has cleared, it ought to be possible to keep training camp from becoming an opportunity to infect the bulk of the team.

That may be wishful thinking with a disease that is as infectious as Covid-19.

The HC would have an obligation to take strong measures to protect athletes when some test positive. Simply quarantining one player at a time might not be sufficient.

One reason is that Covid-19 testing is not 100% reliable. There are false-negative tests - - persons infected who are not detected. All it would take would be a couple of days of practicing in close proximity to a teammate with undetected Covid-19 to infect half the team.

You bold faced the comment including "test frequently" and then assumed that they are NOT testing frequently in your hypothetical.

The test is not a crystal ball on whether there will be a detectable viral load tomorrow, it's just a test on whether there is a detectable viral load today. The people who are infected and not detected because they are not emitting a large enough viral load yet ... are also by that same token not very infectious. The way to know whether they have become infectious tomorrow is to test them again tomorrow.

Now, I don't know whether that's daily or twice daily, because I ain't that kind of Doctor, but I am sure that both 'Bama and Auburn can afford the advice of qualified epidemiologists to determine whether to test daily or whether "two a days" are going to take on a whole new meaning.

A bigger issue is going to be players who break quarantine. After all, these are teenage and early twenties young men. There may be a difference in ability to keep players in camp and training between those coaches who are more successful at recruiting for and/or instilling discipline and team spirit and those who are willing to tolerate prima donnas if they have the athletic skills that the team needs.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2020 06:48 PM by BruceMcF.)
06-08-2020 06:37 PM
Advertisement

jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(06-08-2020 06:37 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  You bold faced the comment including "test frequently" and then assumed that they are NOT testing frequently in your hypothetical.

I didn't intend to suggest that they wouldn't test frequently. However, I do question whether they would test frequently enough - - and also use quarantining effectively enough - - to prevent an epidemic on the team from occurring.

To employ testing effectively, they would probably have to test every day, before practice, and quarantine not only the players, but everyone the guys who test positive was in close contact with the day(s) before - - which could include up to half the team.

(06-08-2020 06:37 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  The test is not a crystal ball on whether there will be a detectable viral load tomorrow, it's just a test on whether there is a detectable viral load today. The people who are infected and not detected because they are not emitting a large enough viral load yet ... are also by that same token not very infectious. The way to know whether they have become infectious tomorrow is to test them again tomorrow.

Now, I don't know whether that's daily or twice daily, because I ain't that kind of Doctor, but I am sure that both 'Bama and Auburn can afford the advice of qualified epidemiologists to determine whether to test daily or whether "two a days" are going to take on a whole new meaning.

A bigger issue is going to be players who break quarantine. After all, these are teenage and early twenties young men. There may be a difference in ability to keep players in camp and training between those coaches who are more successful at recruiting for and/or instilling discipline and team spirit and those who are willing to tolerate prima donnas if they have the athletic skills that the team needs.

You make some important points here, illustrating how difficult it could be to protect most of the players from being effective.

Yes, they could afford consultations and testing, but as you say, some players will still be infected.

You didn't mention the "contact tracing" part of the protocol that goes along with testing.

They usually track down the persons who have been in contact and isolate/quarantine them for long enough to determine that they haven't been contaminated. It can take up to 10 days for a person exposed with Covid-19 to develop the disese.

The other major issue, which I should emphasize, is that the tests don't detect every case. There are a significant number of failures to detect Covid-19 infection (i.e., false negative tests).

It's like fishing with a net - - every net has gaps in it, and some of the smaller fish are going to get through. You can catch 90% of them, but some % are going to get through.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite all this, there could be a CFB season. It will be interesting to see if the top ranked teams do the best, or whether Covid-19 will produce a very unfamiliar top 25 at the end of the season. Who knows what will happen? Vanderbilt or Kentucky or UCF could win the national FB championship!
06-09-2020 12:52 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-09-2020 12:52 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  You didn't mention the "contact tracing" part of the protocol that goes along with testing.

They usually track down the persons who have been in contact and isolate/quarantine them for long enough to determine that they haven't been contaminated. It can take up to 10 days for a person exposed with Covid-19 to develop the disese.

But note the typical situation is someone comes in to be tested because they display symptoms, and we know that most of them were infectious before they were symptomatic. ...

... because we cannot afford to test everyone every day.

But they do have kits for immediate response testing equipment, and I expect your schools at the P5 level can afford to have one or more of those units at a football training camp.

If the training camp is being run correctly, every player is tested every day before they start practice, and if they test positive, we know who the contacts were yesterday: the team and the coaching staff.

And what would we do assuming we had enough testing capacity for all of those contacts? The ideal would be to test them daily (or maybe twice, whatever the epidemiologist advises ... like I said, I'm not a PhD in epidemiology, maybe showering with plenty of soap in between practices is enough to keep the R0 low enough) and put them in quarantine if they become infectious. And in this context, they are all being tested every day anyway.

If they have a protocol that has the risk of transmission down below 10% and most of those who enter camp with the infection are caught by testing and quarantined at the outset, it seems like they could make it work.

Heck, in Alabama it could be one of the safest environments some of the players might be able to find themselves in, as the epidemic picks up speed.
06-09-2020 07:08 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Which contradicts the CDC......

WHO contradicts CDC on Asymptomatic spreading virus
06-09-2020 07:19 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(06-09-2020 07:19 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

Which contradicts the CDC......

WHO contradicts CDC on Asymptomatic spreading virus

and now the WHO is walking back their statement...
06-09-2020 11:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.