Football schedule musings
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Football schedule musings
https://footballscoop.com/news/mark-emme...-not-play/

https://niuhuskies.com/sports/football/schedule

Mark Emmert of the NCAA says FBS may shorten the upcoming football season by two weeks in order to play championship games by Thanksgiving, after which many schools including NIU will not have students on campus. If that happens we would lose the home game vs. Toledo on November 17 and the road game at Bowling Green on November 27.

While some may suggest giving up nonconference games in order to play a full MAC slate, it's hard to believe rescheduling of that scope could be done at this late date since you would end up having to change schedules for just about everyone in FBS. There are also contractual considerations with nonconference games that would be hard to change on short notice.

I could also see the BYU game being pushed to a later year or moved to Provo. If social distancing guidelines are in place this season, which seems likely, they would make it hard for there to be a big turnout of Chicago area BYU fans, which was probably a major justification for scheduling the game. Getting a check to play in Provo would probably be welcomed by our athletic department anyway given belt-tightening measures that are being taken.

So it seems like there's a good chance the regular season will be 10 games, or 9 if the BYU game is pushed.
06-06-2020 10:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
RE: Football schedule musings
(06-06-2020 10:29 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  https://footballscoop.com/news/mark-emme...-not-play/

Mark Emmert of the NCAA says FBS may shorten the upcoming football season by two weeks in order to play championship games by Thanksgiving, after which many schools including NIU will not have students on campus. If that happens we would lose the home game vs. Toledo on November 17 and the road game at Bowling Green on November 27.

While some may suggest giving up nonconference games in order to play a full MAC slate, it's hard to believe rescheduling of that scope could be done at this late date since you would end up having to change schedules for just about everyone in FBS. There are also contractual considerations with nonconference games that would be hard to change on short notice.

I could also see the BYU game being pushed to a later year or moved to Provo. If social distancing guidelines are in place this season, which seems likely, they would make it hard for there to be a big turnout of Chicago area BYU fans, which was probably a major justification for scheduling the game. Getting a check to play in Provo would probably be welcomed by our athletic department anyway given belt-tightening measures that are being taken.

So it seems like there's a good chance the regular season will be 10 games, or 9 if the BYU game is pushed.
If I am allowed to protest, loot, and burn cop cars, I should be given the choice to go to a football game or other sporting event at my own discretion without Social Distancing requirements. Let's play 12!
06-07-2020 08:33 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
(06-07-2020 08:33 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  
(06-06-2020 10:29 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  https://footballscoop.com/news/mark-emme...-not-play/

If I am allowed to protest, loot, and burn cop cars, I should be given the choice to go to a football game or other sporting event at my own discretion without Social Distancing requirements. Let's play 12!

+1

He’s not wrong.
06-07-2020 02:18 PM
Advertisement

jjprender Offline
Special Teams

(06-07-2020 02:18 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  

+1

He’s not wrong.

+1000 albeit I will say I think some public officials were hamstrung. Stop the protests and have the rioting go up a factor of 5? To be clear the looting and vandalism is complete horseshit. I even took the step of putting my money where my mouth is and offered to defend any small business owned by friends whom wanted to defend it.
06-07-2020 05:42 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:

Should also be able to drink legally at 18.
06-07-2020 05:58 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(06-07-2020 02:18 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  

+1

He’s not wrong.

Yes he is. People getting away with something doesn't mean it's "allowed". Unless OJ was "allowed" to murder people.
06-08-2020 11:05 AM
Huckin' Fuskie Offline
Bench Warmer

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wisconsin tried that for a time, which led to 18- and 19-year-old Illinois kids driving to WI to get drunk, then driving home. When you allow 18-year-olds high school kids to buy alcohol, they will then buy it for their 14- though 17-year-old classmates. I'd also be interested to see sexual assault stats from that time period, as well.

Total recipe for disaster as every state that's tried it has learned.

Remember, your rights only count until they abridge someone else's rights. For example, you should have the right to drink. You should have the right to drive a car. But you don't have the right to do both at the same time, because you can only do that if you take away society's right to drive on public roads safely. So, letting 18-year-olds drink isn't the problem, it's all the related problems it creates. If you want to let kids have a drink in a restaurant with a parent, that's fine. If you want to let kids drink at home with a parent or guardian, that's fine. If you want to let a group of 18-year-old boys buy a keg or punchbowl full of Everclear for a party where 14-year-old girls will be, that's not fine.

As it relates to college football, can you imagine a stadium filled with drunk teenagers? Drunk adults are bad enough.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2020 05:00 PM by Huckin' Fuskie.)
06-08-2020 02:26 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

[/quote]

Wisconsin tried that for a time, which led to 18- and 19-year-old Illinois kids driving to WI to get drunk, then driving home. When you allow 18-year-olds high school kids to buy alcohol, they will then buy it for their 14- though 17-year-old classmates. I'd also be interested to see sexual assault stats from that time period, as well.

Remember, your rights only count until they abridge someone else's rights. For example, you should have the right to drink. You should have the right to drive a car. But you don't have the right to do both at the same time, because you can only do that if you take away society's right to drive on public roads safely. So, letting 18-year-olds drink isn't the problem, it's all the related problems it creates. If you want to let kids have a drink in a restaurant with a parent, that's fine. If you want to let kids drink at home with a parent or guardian, that's fine. If you want to let a group of 18-year-old boys buy a keg or punchbowl full of Everclear for a party where 14-year-old girls will be, that's not fine.

As it relates to college football, can you imagine a stadium filled with drunk teenagers? Drunk adults are bad enough.
[/quote]

I can imagine it but I don't have to. It used to be a large part of the East side at Huskie stadium.
06-09-2020 01:44 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(06-09-2020 01:44 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(06-08-2020 02:26 PM)Huckin Fuskie Wrote:  

[/quote]

I can imagine it but I don't have to. It used to be a large part of the East side at Huskie stadium.
[/quote]

True. Just because it wasn't legal doesn't mean it wasn't happening.
06-09-2020 02:16 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

"If you want to let kids (under 21) have a drink in a restaurant with a parent, that's fine."
Legal in Wisconsin, against the law in Illinois.
06-09-2020 02:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.