Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia Bill To Merge 3 HBCU's Into One Called Georgia A&M
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Georgia Bill To Merge 3 HBCU's Into One Called Georgia A&M
Savannah State, Albany State and Fort Valley State

I wonder how the alumni of these schools feel about this?
06-02-2020 02:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

3BNole Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Florida State
RE: Georgia Bill To Merge 3 HBCU's Into One Called Georgia A&M
This article is from a year ago.
06-02-2020 05:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
The bill ultimately failed, but it showed that the failures at the public HBCUs in Georgia are being noticed at the state level. I expect talks like this to continue especially for Savannah State which is a shell of its former self.
06-02-2020 06:48 AM
Advertisement

Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
That would create an outrage in the black community.

There's symbolic and sentimental value to keeping HBCs around, regardless of how costly they may be.
06-04-2020 12:27 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(06-04-2020 12:27 AM)Poster Wrote:  That would create an outrage in the black community.

There's symbolic and sentimental value to keeping HBCs around, regardless of how costly they may be.

Given symbolic/sentimental value, it might be simpler to combine them into one University but let each campus retain their name & branding.

It would, for one thing, pose fewer risks of pointless administrative empire building, since the scanty resources to play empire building games with would not tend to be attractive to the empire building types.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2020 03:59 AM by BruceMcF.)
06-04-2020 03:58 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
As someone who lives in Georgia, and has taught at an HBCU there would be massive challenges to this. Albany State has just cut a bunch of athletic teams, after inheriting some of them from their merger with Darton College. FVSU is slowly emerging from an accreditation mess, and Savannah St, which many "neutral observers" say should have been merged with Armstrong St (who was in turn merged with Georgia Southern) is much smaller, and is also slowly turning things around. Aside from the obvious political and historical challenges, the geography of this is quite large. Georgia is the larges state by area east of the Mississippi. If all three campuses were retained, but just brought under one umbrella, that might work if colleges are spread out. But who gets which college? These are three very different areas. FVSU and Albany are a littler more similar in geography, but compare FVSU to Savannah! Two different worlds. I think Albany St is currently in the best position of the three.
06-04-2020 07:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.