Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Report: Appalachian State Cutting Three Men's Sports
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Report: Appalachian State Cutting Three Men's Sports
05-26-2020 01:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: Report: Appalachian State Cutting Three Men's Sports
These cuts will undoubtedly affect men's soccer for the Sun Belt. They will be down to just five members, and that's with affiliates Howard and Central Arkansas. Only Coastal Carolina, Georgia State and Georgia Southern sponsor men's soccer in the SBC. Men's tennis and indoor track and field appear to be unaffected (both had eight participants).
05-26-2020 02:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
Not good for SBC soccer.
05-26-2020 02:21 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Not sure what the point of cutting Indoor Track when you still have outdoor track.

And shouldn't a woman's sport get the axe as well?

This puts them at 17 sports
05-26-2020 02:27 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(05-26-2020 02:27 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Not sure what the point of cutting Indoor Track when you still have outdoor track.

And shouldn't a woman's sport get the axe as well?

This puts them at 17 sports

App doesn't even have a dedicated indoor track. They run on the concourse of the Convocation Center. I agree they should have just cut both tennis programs. Spring weather in Boone sucks and we lack an indoor tennis facility. Title IX might have been also been a factor.
05-26-2020 03:09 PM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
At RE: Report: Appalachian State Cutting Three Men's Sports
Considering UCONN is about to cut about 8 of their 24 programs, APP state is doing great. 07-coffee3
05-26-2020 03:34 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-26-2020 03:34 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  Considering UCONN is about to cut about 8 of their 24 programs, APP state is doing great. 07-coffee3

That figure of "8" was just a suggestion by a sportswriter. The AD didn't specify a number in the article I saw. They were just "thinking" about eliminating sports.
05-26-2020 05:57 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(05-26-2020 02:11 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  These cuts will undoubtedly affect men's soccer for the Sun Belt. They will be down to just five members, and that's with affiliates Howard and Central Arkansas. Only Coastal Carolina, Georgia State and Georgia Southern sponsor men's soccer in the SBC. Men's tennis and indoor track and field appear to be unaffected (both had eight participants).

Georgia Southern, Georgia State, and Coastal Carolina should pick up and park Men’s Soccer in CUSA. Only Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, UAB, FIU, and FAU have Men’s Soccer in that conference and we’d fit like an absolute glove.
05-26-2020 06:12 PM
HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Stetson
sorry to hear that about App. The Sun Belt can keep its men's soccer auto bid for '20 and '21, but after that I would say Central Arkansas should go back to the Missouri Valley (so the MVC won't lose its own AQ in the summer of '22). The other four have options among C-USA, ASUN and SoCon for regional affiliation.
05-26-2020 06:20 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(05-26-2020 06:12 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 02:11 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  These cuts will undoubtedly affect men's soccer for the Sun Belt. They will be down to just five members, and that's with affiliates Howard and Central Arkansas. Only Coastal Carolina, Georgia State and Georgia Southern sponsor men's soccer in the SBC. Men's tennis and indoor track and field appear to be unaffected (both had eight participants).

Georgia Southern, Georgia State, and Coastal Carolina should pick up and park Men’s Soccer in CUSA. Only Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, UAB, FIU, and FAU have Men’s Soccer in that conference and we’d fit like an absolute glove.

Why would CUSA throw them a bone? What's in it for them?
05-26-2020 06:22 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

(05-26-2020 03:09 PM)seaking4steel Wrote:  App doesn't even have a dedicated indoor track. They run on the concourse of the Convocation Center.

Georgetown has a nationally ranked track program with no indoor track. Or an outdoor one, for that matter. Or a regulation practice facility. The closest place to practice is a city park with a 320m track: five to the mile.

For all the complaints about Georgetown's football facilities, at least it's regulation size.
05-26-2020 06:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(05-26-2020 06:22 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Well since CUSA has 14 members but only 6 of them sponsor Men’s Soccer and there are 3 similar schools directly in the middle of their footprint that are looking for a new home, why wouldn’t they?
05-26-2020 06:38 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
Kentucky and South Carolina used to be affiliate members for men’s soccer. I can’t see why the Sun Belt schools can be accommodated as well since all C-USA schools are close.

Marshall
Old Dominion
Charlotte
UAB
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Coastal Carolina
05-26-2020 06:47 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(05-26-2020 06:47 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  Kentucky and South Carolina used to be affiliate members for men’s soccer. I can’t see why the Sun Belt schools can be accommodated as well since all C-USA schools are close.

Marshall
Old Dominion
Charlotte
UAB
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Coastal Carolina

They still are. That wouldn't preclude CUSA from adding the Sun Belt schools but right now they're also safe at eight, unless Kentucky/South Carolina left for whatever reason.
05-26-2020 06:57 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
In other App State News tangentially related to the SBC-CUSA speculation

App State Mountaineers win in Charlotte! Well Kyle Bush for Joe Gibbs Racing. The late Joe Gibbs, the former Redskins Super Bowl winning coach, two sons playing at App State.

[Image: gettyimages-1227064075.jpg]

It was fun to watch something live, anything, even NASCAR, on TV last night.
05-26-2020 07:04 PM
SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-26-2020 06:38 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

Well since CUSA has 14 members but only 6 of them sponsor Men’s Soccer and there are 3 similar schools directly in the middle of their footprint that are looking for a new home, why wouldn’t they?

More competition for the automatic NCAA bid?
05-26-2020 07:20 PM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(05-26-2020 07:20 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

If the goal really is to cut travel costs it shouldn’t matter.
05-26-2020 08:14 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

(05-26-2020 07:04 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  In other App State News tangentially related to the SBC-CUSA speculation

The late Joe Gibbs, the former Redskins Super Bowl winning coach, two sons playing at App State.

He's not late.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Gibbs
05-26-2020 08:21 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU

Not as big a deal for CUSA men's soccer, which usually gets multiple teams in — last year they had three teams (Marshall, Charlotte, Kentucky) with Marshall making the round of 16.
05-26-2020 08:24 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(05-26-2020 08:24 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 06:12 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Georgia Southern, Georgia State, and Coastal Carolina should pick up and park Men’s Soccer in CUSA. Only Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, UAB, FIU, and FAU have Men’s Soccer in that conference and we’d fit like an absolute glove.

Not as big a deal for CUSA men's soccer, which usually gets multiple teams in — last year they had three teams (Marshall, Charlotte, Kentucky) with Marshall making the round of 16.

Are the 3 SBC teams good at soccer? If your 8 team conference gets 3 teams in, why would you add 3 bad teams and split the pie 3 more ways?
05-26-2020 09:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.