Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Powell-normal by end of 2021
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Powell-normal by end of 2021
https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/4985...ing-bubble

Critique of Powell. Mainly including because of his prediction:

"...Powell believes that this time around we could have a quicker economic recovery than we did following the 2008-2009 Great Recession.

Indeed, Powell believes that the U.S. economy could fully recover by the end of 2021, notwithstanding the very much deeper economic recession that we are now experiencing than in 2008-2009. ..."

Personally, I am doubtful. Small businesses have had their capital destroyed. People will not go back to the exact same habits for a long time if ever, meaning restaurants and entertainment facilities will suffer. Brick and mortar retail has had a decade of decline condensed into months. That shock will take a long time to recover. That means real estate will suffer, meaning construction will suffer.

2008 was a simple real estate bubble that bad policies by Obama prolonged. This is putting a crunch in a number of sectors. The Fed deals mainly with big companies and I think that distorts their view of how quick things recover.
05-20-2020 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Powell-normal by end of 2021
It all starts with a basic premise - what about the level of production and services provided in January 2020 do you believe is no longer necessary in September 2020?

It may not be the same people running the same businesses and employing the same people, but the total sum of wants and needs will return, so the level of production and services will also. The recession of 08-09 was much, much more than a real estate bubble. I would argue that this is nothing but an unjustified panic and easier to overcome because there was no underlying economic condition to cause it.
05-20-2020 01:14 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Powell-normal by end of 2021
(05-20-2020 01:14 PM)banker Wrote:  It all starts with a basic premise - what about the level of production and services provided in January 2020 do you believe is no longer necessary in September 2020?

It may not be the same people running the same businesses and employing the same people, but the total sum of wants and needs will return, so the level of production and services will also. The recession of 08-09 was much, much more than a real estate bubble. I would argue that this is nothing but an unjustified panic and easier to overcome because there was no underlying economic condition to cause it.

Who will provide it? Who will have the capital? Who will have the spending money?

And a vast amount of our economy is based on wants, not needs. People don't need so many clothes. Think about what people had in the 1960s. If people don't have money they are going to limit themselves to needs, not wants.
05-20-2020 03:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.