Open TigerLinks

DeAndre Williams' mentor disses UK recruiting
Bookmark and Share
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
DeAndre Williams' mentor disses UK recruiting
“They think they can show up [late] to the dance and steal your girl”

Heading into the weekend, Evansville transfer DeAndre Williams announced his commitment to Memphis, choosing the Tigers over fellow finalists Arkansas, Baylor, and Kentucky.
Following the announcement, though, attention turned to the ongoing back-and-forth between Kentucky and Memphis fans and media members regarding UK’s true contact and interest heading into the home stretch of Williams’ recruitment.
Kentucky’s side argued John Calipari and the UK coaching staff backed off in Williams’ recruitment, while Memphis’ side argued it was a hard-fought win for Penny Hardaway and the Tiger coaching staff over the Wildcats.
Today, Williams’ former head coach and mentor Kenneth Roy joined the Jason & John Show in Memphis to sort through the rumors and clarify Kentucky’s side of things, where he threw multiple jabs at the UK’s recruiting tactics in the process.

Read the rest HERE.
05-19-2020 09:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerbologna Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers
RE: DeAndre Williams' mentor disses UK recruiting
This is so silly.
05-19-2020 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
What I take from it...is Penny still building relationships on the recruiting trail...and it coming again at the expense of UK.

UK fans reason that Cal backed off...didn't really want the guy...when it's clear that they were recruiting the player until the end.
05-19-2020 09:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
holyterror Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(05-19-2020 09:23 AM)tigerbologna Wrote:  This is so silly.

Yeah the sports world is bored right now. But here’s the takeaway:some kids respond to being seen as people and not just as pieces. Not all of them, but some. And DeAndre seems to be one of them.
05-19-2020 10:09 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

Penny is destroying Cal in recruiting. You can make the case that they could have won a national championship with Wiseman and DJ.
05-19-2020 10:58 AM
mapdude Online
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
It's interesting that all contact had to go through the former coach ( think that is what he was). Like he is the kid's agent or something. Kinda odd in a way...it would raise some red flags for me, and I would have to dig a bit deeper. I would want confirmation from the kid and his mom that this is the way they want things handled.
05-19-2020 11:30 AM
Advertisement

MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
I like Roy, he isn't afraid to call out Cal and his bs
05-19-2020 11:32 AM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(05-19-2020 11:30 AM)mapdude Wrote:  It's interesting that all contact had to go through the former coach ( think that is what he was). Like he is the kid's agent or something. Kinda odd in a way...it would raise some red flags for me, and I would have to dig a bit deeper. I would want confirmation from the kid and his mom that this is the way they want things handled.

Yep
05-19-2020 11:34 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-19-2020 11:30 AM)mapdude Wrote:  It's interesting that all contact had to go through the former coach ( think that is what he was). Like he is the kid's agent or something. Kinda odd in a way...it would raise some red flags for me, and I would have to dig a bit deeper. I would want confirmation from the kid and his mom that this is the way they want things handled.

Yep that is almost always a "pay me if you want to talk to the kid" situation. Almost every single time.
05-19-2020 11:53 AM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline

Donators
No he coached the young man up in Oklahoma. You probably think Penny is in it for $$$
05-19-2020 02:12 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(05-19-2020 02:12 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  No he coached the young man up in Oklahoma. You probably think Penny is in it for $$$

Is he getting paid ? I didn't know he was working for free.
05-19-2020 03:38 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(05-19-2020 02:12 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  No he coached the young man up in Oklahoma. You probably think Penny is in it for $$$

I wouldn't be surprised if money changed hands.

College BBall is dirty...
05-19-2020 03:52 PM
mapdude Online
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
$11.5K seems to be a good starting point in negotiations....#snicker
05-19-2020 09:47 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline

Donators
(05-19-2020 03:38 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  

Nobody said Penny is working for free.

Penny took a salary well below what he could have asked for, and still has.

Not saying there isn't side money to be made, but Penny is nothing like Cal was demanding a max raise from our school every season or he is "leaving".

No, Penny isn't in it for the money. He is underpaid compared to his peers and did us a huge favor rescuing us from that horrible Tubby contract.

Do you work for free?

Do you ever help anyone out without charging them? How about charging them minimally because you have a relationship of some type?

Would Penny or Roy be doing something unethical by doing the same?
05-19-2020 11:57 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(05-19-2020 11:57 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  

Not saying there isn't side money to be made, but Penny is nothing like Cal was demanding a max raise from our school every season or he is "leaving".

No, Penny isn't in it for the money. He is underpaid compared to his peers and did us a huge favor rescuing us from that horrible Tubby contract.

Do you work for free?

Do you ever help anyone out without charging them? How about charging them minimally because you have a relationship of some type?

Penny was a high school coach...

So I don't think there really are any "peers" to compare him to for salary purposes.

But just for reference when Pastner was hired he was making less than 1Million a year...Penny made 1.3 last year.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2020 01:45 AM by macgar32.)
05-20-2020 01:45 AM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-20-2020 01:45 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Do you work for free?

So I don't think there really are any "peers" to compare him to for salary purposes.

But just for reference when Pastner was hired he was making less than 1Million a year...Penny made 1.3 last year.

When Pastner was hired over 10 years ago no one else would take the job. And no other college would have hired him as a head coach.
05-20-2020 09:17 AM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(05-20-2020 09:17 AM)uskjtc02 Wrote:  

Do you work for free?

When Pastner was hired over 10 years ago no one else would take the job. And no other college would have hired him as a head coach.

Pastner was had many years as a college assistant and I don't think there was a line of Major colleges beating down Hardaways door to be a head coach either.

IMO...Hardaway making 1.3 Million a year is not him doing the university a favor. It is a fair salary for a High School coach with no experience but had connections to many high level recruits.
05-20-2020 11:32 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2020 11:32 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(05-19-2020 03:38 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  Is he getting paid ? I didn't know he was working for free.

Do you work for free?

Pastner was had many years as a college assistant and I don't think there was a line of Major colleges beating down Hardaways door to be a head coach either.

IMO...Hardaway making 1.3 Million a year is not him doing the university a favor. It is a fair salary for a High School coach with no experience but had connections to many high level recruits.

I agree with you 100%. Penny is making really good money for his first contract as a college coach with no prior college experience. Plenty of college coaches with many years of work would jump at 1.3mil.
05-20-2020 12:17 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline

Donators
(05-20-2020 12:17 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(05-20-2020 11:32 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(05-19-2020 11:57 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  Nobody said Penny is working for free.

Do you work for free?

I agree with you 100%. Penny is making really good money for his first contract as a college coach with no prior college experience. Plenty of college coaches with many years of work would jump at 1.3mil.

None with Penny's clout.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2020 12:42 PM by MemphisTigerPawr.)
05-20-2020 12:30 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

$1M for Penny is a deal. All you have to do is look at attendance the last 2 years, donations, PR, and tv games. Thinking pay is tied to how many years you were a college assistant is an obsolete model.

Using a Pastner comparison from 11 years ago is also obsolete. Cal left us to become the highest paid coach in the country at $3.9M. He now makes $8M and K is the highest paid at $9M.

Penny was not Pastner. And things have changed. He is absolutely doing the university, fans, and community a favor.
05-20-2020 05:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.