Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] UConn football deal with CBS Sports Network
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
[split] UConn football deal with CBS Sports Network
UConn announced a deal with CBS Sports today. Four years, with two two-year Network options after for a total of eight years (should CBS so choose). UConn will get some amount of money from it and CBS will pay all production costs, but it doesn't sound like the money is huge. Still nice to get a deal with a national network.
05-11-2020 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eldonabe Online
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
RE: Who will air UCON football games?
Ha I was thinking the broadcast would be more along the lines of SNL's Garrett Morris yelling scores from the top row at Rentschlear.

I am jealous though as they will still have more people to hear that broadcast than my school will .............
05-11-2020 12:38 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
RE: Who will air UCON football games?
(05-11-2020 12:19 PM)Bogg Wrote:  UConn announced a deal with CBS Sports today. Four years, with two two-year Network options after for a total of eight years (should CBS so choose). UConn will get some amount of money from it and CBS will pay all production costs, but it doesn't sound like the money is huge. Still nice to get a deal with a national network.

Good for them. They have done better than I and probably many others have thought they would do with their Independence.

Since CBSSN doesn’t do national ratings, it’s hard to say how many people will actually watch UConn games. I guess it’s better than ESPN+, but who actually knows.
05-11-2020 12:42 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE:
(05-11-2020 12:19 PM)Bogg Wrote:  UConn announced a deal with CBS Sports today. Four years, with two two-year Network options after for a total of eight years (should CBS so choose). UConn will get some amount of money from it and CBS will pay all production costs, but it doesn't sound like the money is huge. Still nice to get a deal with a national network.

Here's an article on it. If I'm reading this correctly, CBSSN will have four UConn home football games in 2020 and every home game from 2021-2023. The other 2020 home games will likely be televised on an RSN, SportsNet New York.

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uco...story.html
Quote:UConn on Monday will announce an agreement with CBS Sports Network, which will carry four homes games in the upcoming 2020 season — if there is one — and every home game through 2023. The four-year deal comes with a pair of two-year network options that could push the agreement to eight years, through the 2027 season.
Quote:The three 2020 games not contracted by CBS Sports Network are expected to be televised, with SNY the likely landing spot.

Also, I'll split this topic away from the year-old thread.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 03:06 PM by Wedge.)
05-11-2020 03:05 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: [split] UConn football deal with CBS Sports Network
(05-11-2020 12:42 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Good for them. They have done better than I and probably many others have thought they would do with their Independence.

Since CBSSN doesn’t do national ratings, it’s hard to say how many people will actually watch UConn games. I guess it’s better than ESPN+, but who actually knows.

They were regularly in the 200K viewer range (often below even that) on the bigger ESPN-U network. There will almost certainly be lower viewership on the smaller CBS-Sports Network. It is what it is. To be fair---they were probably looking at a number of games on ESPN+ with the new AAC deal. So, I suspect viewership on CBS-Sports will be higher than ESPN+.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 03:14 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-11-2020 03:13 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
05-11-2020 03:39 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-11-2020 03:39 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  

That would put the UConn football deal at about $250-300K a year. That sounds about right. That would actually be similar to football value for Sunbelt/CUSA schools. The CUSA/SB total media payouts are around $400K a team (which would include basketball). If you assume 70% for football value and 30% for basketball---the UConn football deal is right in line with CUSA/SB football value (400K x 70% = $280K).
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 03:52 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-11-2020 03:49 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Dave Benedict, with what the UConn athletic department has acheived in the past 12 months, has arguably been one of the top-performing ADs in the country.

Many were quick to label independence for UConn Football as a death sentence (not to mention its move to the Big East as a lateral/step-down move) - a choice that would undoubtedly force the school to disband or even de-emphasize its football program to FCS levels. In that time frame, Benedict has several seasons worth of opponents lined up, reacquired regional programs like Syracuse and Boston College to the schedule (with UMass and Army are annual matchups), gained P5 matchups at home against Duke, UNC, Purdue and NC State, lined-up buy games (over $1 million each annually) at Clemson, Michigan, Tennessee and Ohio State, and, now, found a new and better home (CBS Sports Network has 50 million+ subscribers) for its games than it was originally to have had (ESPN+ has under 10 million subscribers) - all while substantially cutting down travel costs (which was easily over $7 million annually - almost identical amount it was to be making under the new AAC TV deal) and associating its top athletics brand (basketball) with an identifiable and geographic power basketball conference.
05-11-2020 03:54 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(05-11-2020 03:13 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  To be fair---they were probably looking at a number of games on ESPN+ with the new AAC deal. So, I suspect viewership on CBS-Sports will be higher than ESPN+.

Yea, UConn was likely headed into football being primarily on Plus for, at a minimum, the immediate future, so CBSS isn't any worse for exposure. It sounds like they'll have one Friday night kick a year and otherwise start between noon and 3:30 on Saturdays, which is good.

The big win here is just securing a national network that's generally available, at worst, on most people's sports packages instead of a local network (as great as SNY's been to the women's team). As the department hunts home-and-homes with ACC and Big Ten programs, ADs in states like North Carolina and Indiana may have balked at playing an away game on a TV network their boosters couldn't buy even if they wanted to.
05-11-2020 06:40 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(05-11-2020 03:54 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Dave Benedict, with what the UConn athletic department has acheived in the past 12 months, has arguably been one of the top-performing ADs in the country.

Many were quick to label independence for UConn Football as a death sentence (not to mention its move to the Big East as a lateral/step-down move) - a choice that would undoubtedly force the school to disband or even de-emphasize its football program to FCS levels. In that time frame, Benedict has several seasons worth of opponents lined up, reacquired regional programs like Syracuse and Boston College to the schedule (with UMass and Army are annual matchups), gained P5 matchups at home against Duke, UNC, Purdue and NC State, lined-up buy games (over $1 million each annually) at Clemson, Michigan, Tennessee and Ohio State, and, now, found a new and better home (CBS Sports Network has 50 million+ subscribers) for its games than it was originally to have had (ESPN+ has under 10 million subscribers) - all while substantially cutting down travel costs (which was easily over $7 million annually - almost identical amount it was to be making under the new AAC TV deal) and associating its top athletics brand (basketball) with an identifiable and geographic power basketball conference.

Good point.

I never thought UConn football could pull this off. Credit where it's due.
05-11-2020 07:16 PM
nickp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ohio state
CBS Sports Network is cheap or desperate, or that UConn really wants people to see them lose 10-11 games a year as an independent?
05-11-2020 07:30 PM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(05-11-2020 03:54 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Dave Benedict, with what the UConn athletic department has acheived in the past 12 months, has arguably been one of the top-performing ADs in the country.

Good for them. Now can they schedule some other Big East schools earlier in the season?
05-11-2020 07:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

Indeed. What he has done with UConn football going independent, from putting together schedules and now this TV deal, is really high-performing stuff.
05-11-2020 07:56 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I've been impressed with what UConn football has been able to achieve overall. It's not great. But it's very, very respectable overall.

Full credit given.
05-11-2020 08:17 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(05-11-2020 07:30 PM)nickp Wrote:  CBS Sports Network is cheap or desperate, or that UConn really wants people to see them lose 10-11 games a year as an independent?

CBS SN is desperate for content. With ESPN+ active for all their contracts next year CBS is losing the content that ESPN used to push out to them. So I guess it's a good match, both are in a pretty desperate situation. It'll be interesting to see how scheduling games as an indy goes. My guess is body bag away games and a MAC like schedule for home games.
05-11-2020 08:17 PM
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati

While I do agree he has done the best job possible, and deserves credit for staying organized and on point, I think this is spinning it a little far.

Quote:In that time frame, Benedict has several seasons worth of opponents lined up, reacquired regional programs like Syracuse and Boston College to the schedule (with UMass and Army are annual matchups), gained P5 matchups at home against Duke, UNC, Purdue and NC State

UConn scheduled Boston College, Duke, Purdue, and NC State all before their move to the Big East. The already had these games in the AAC. Definitely deserves credit for putting together a passable schedule on short notice, but their home slate is pretty dreadful for quite a while and they had to compensate multiple teams to split up their already scheduled series.

Quote:lined-up buy games (over $1 million each annually) at Clemson, Michigan, Tennessee and Ohio State

Most teams in the country can get these games. It's not hard to get a payday from these schools. Most teams don't do it with any frequency because it makes it impossible to schedule home and homes. Again, they could have done this in the AAC. The move to the Big East precipitates the need for it now because of the lost revenue specifically on the football side.

Quote:and, now, found a new and better home (CBS Sports Network has 50 million+ subscribers) for its games than it was originally to have had (ESPN+ has under 10 million subscribers)

This is certainly a better home for UConn football as their stature within the league would have relegated most/all of their games on ESPN+. That said, they are getting paid pretty much peanuts, and were forced into a potential 8 year deal on that little money just to get on national TV. It's reminiscent of the deal Aresco made for the AAC back in 2014 (the need to sacrifice $$$ to get exposure).

Quote: - all while substantially cutting down travel costs (which was easily over $7 million annually - almost identical amount it was to be making under the new AAC TV deal) and associating its top athletics brand (basketball) with an identifiable and geographic power basketball conference.

UConn was not spending $7m on travel costs. By their own estimates, I've seen as much as $2m floating around. That seems high, but is somewhat plausible when considering all their sports. That said, their new schedule has the need for a fair amount of travel in football anyway. They get more paydays in the form of guaranteed games, but again, that wouldn't be incremental revenue then.

Look, this isn't a bad deal at all for UConn. I see what they are trying to do. Let's just try and stay on the ground here. There is already enough overreaching on the AAC board already. This isn't some landmark deal that is going to save UConn football. The money still isn't there.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 08:23 PM by stxrunner.)
05-11-2020 08:20 PM
Advertisement

stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-11-2020 07:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Indeed. What he has done with UConn football going independent, from putting together schedules and now this TV deal, is really high-performing stuff.

I'm not sure this is much different than the deal Aresco put together for the AAC in 2014 (exposure at all costs) given the $$ involved.

I didn't think that deal was great, and I don't think the recent one was good either. So if I don't like those deals for Aresco, I'm having a hard time giving the AD too much credit for this one.

I think the excitement for this deal comes from the fact that expectations were so low, that simply signing a deal with either exposure OR money is reason to be happy. That doesn't make UConn football suddenly viable, IMO.
05-11-2020 08:26 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

The goalposts have moved quite a ways from the days when UConn was supposedly going to be scheduling two-for-ones with FCS teams and paying a streaming platform to host.

(05-11-2020 08:17 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  It'll be interesting to see how scheduling games as an indy goes. My guess is body bag away games and a MAC like schedule for home games.

It's actually going pretty decent. They've signed series with Maryland, UNC, and Syracuse on top of the P5s they already had, and there's rumors of Pitt, Rutgers, and BYU as well. Some local flavor in the form of UMass, Army, and Buffalo too. All in all, football's move to independence has managed to hit that all-important threshold of "not meaningfully worse" while basketball's in a much better-fitting home.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 09:09 PM by Bogg.)
05-11-2020 09:08 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(05-11-2020 09:08 PM)Bogg Wrote:  The goalposts have moved quite a ways from the days when UConn was supposedly going to be scheduling two-for-ones with FCS teams and paying a streaming platform to host.

(05-11-2020 08:17 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  It'll be interesting to see how scheduling games as an indy goes. My guess is body bag away games and a MAC like schedule for home games.

It's actually going pretty decent. They've signed series with Maryland, UNC, and Syracuse on top of the P5s they already had, and there's rumors of Pitt, Rutgers, and BYU as well. Some local flavor in the form of UMass, Army, and Buffalo too. All in all, football's move to independence has managed to hit that all-important threshold of "not meaningfully worse" while basketball's in a much better-fitting home.

It was 2-1 and FCS teams, not with FCS teams lol.

If I'm reading the tea leaves UConn's AD is packaging BBall scheduling (what other AD's want from him) with FB scheduling (what they don't want from him). For example UCF agreed to a 1 game deal with UConn FB and UConn BBall agreed to a deal with UCF.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 09:23 PM by MidknightWhiskey.)
05-11-2020 09:23 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-11-2020 07:30 PM)nickp Wrote:  CBS Sports Network is cheap or desperate, or that UConn really wants people to see them lose 10-11 games a year as an independent?

I dunno, I think with regular games against Liberty, UMass, NMSU and a buy FCS game a year they'll have a better W/L than they would have done in the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 09:29 PM by BruceMcF.)
05-11-2020 09:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.