Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC presidents believe the fall sports season will be...
Bookmark and Share
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
... delayed or cancelled.

According to this article from April 24, Coastal's president David DeCenzo said he had a conference call with the rest of the Sun Belt presidents, and they believe that the fall seasons will either be canceled altogether or start late.

Here's what DeCenzo said:

Quote:"We really are up in the air regarding what is going to happen in the fall. There is the belief that either we won’t play our fall sports, which carries with it a whole host of issues as you can imagine, or there will be events that will be played but they will be played without spectators.

"Putting large numbers of people in a stadium probably will not pass muster until we reach that time, and I think that time is basically focused on when there is a vaccine for this particular virus.”

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports...60451.html
05-07-2020 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: SBC presidents believe the fall sports season will be...
Oof, I hope not. But they did cancel the rest of the spring right at the point of March Madness so it isn't shocking.
05-07-2020 01:25 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I think there are ways to do it, but no one is going to do a darn thing until someone is the guinea pig.

Germany is restarting its Soccer leagues next weekend. There will be a lot of eyes on this to see if they can pull it off without causing a max influx of cases. Likewise, local officials will be watching the restart of Youth Sports in the next month or so closely to see what happens. If they can be done without casuing mass infections among the players and restarting an outbreak in the community, than there can be a way forward this fall.

Its important to mention that for many SBC towns, the college is also one of the largest employers. Not having a football season could cripple the local economy.
05-07-2020 07:55 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-07-2020 07:55 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I think there are ways to do it, but no one is going to do a darn thing until someone is the guinea pig.

Germany is restarting its Soccer leagues next weekend. There will be a lot of eyes on this to see if they can pull it off without causing a max influx of cases. Likewise, local officials will be watching the restart of Youth Sports in the next month or so closely to see what happens. If they can be done without casuing mass infections among the players and restarting an outbreak in the community, than there can be a way forward this fall.

Its important to mention that for many SBC towns, the college is also one of the largest employers. Not having a football season could cripple the local economy.

MLB, MLS and even CFL will almost certainly be playing before we’ve got to make a final call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-07-2020 08:10 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
We get athletes back in camp by July 1, no reason to delay or change the season. The decision can be made early-mid June.
05-07-2020 08:30 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-07-2020 08:30 PM)Usajags Wrote:  We get athletes back in camp by July 1, no reason to delay or change the season. The decision can be made early-mid June.

As Stated previously, College Football won't do a thing until they see how MLB and MLS progress (I am choosing those two because both are outdoor sports, like CFB. Most agree its far more difficult to spread this outdoors.

There's a way forward...but I doubt this will be a traditional season by any metric. At best, we're probably looking at no guarantee games, reduced capacity and no spectator events, and in the Olympic Sports, a severe lack of flights.

I will say its important to note the date of this Article was April 24th. We're learning more about this virus every day, its hard to say we know what's going to be the situation a month from now...much less 4 months.
05-07-2020 08:49 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

As an aside, most every health department in the South has discussed Football season a ton in the last couple weeks. They will do everything in their power to find a way to make this work in some way before they recommend cancelling.
05-07-2020 08:51 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-07-2020 08:49 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(05-07-2020 08:30 PM)Usajags Wrote:  We get athletes back in camp by July 1, no reason to delay or change the season. The decision can be made early-mid June.

As Stated previously, College Football won't do a thing until they see how MLB and MLS progress (I am choosing those two because both are outdoor sports, like CFB. Most agree its far more difficult to spread this outdoors.

There's a way forward...but I doubt this will be a traditional season by any metric. At best, we're probably looking at no guarantee games, reduced capacity and no spectator events, and in the Olympic Sports, a severe lack of flights.

I will say its important to note the date of this Article was April 24th. We're learning more about this virus every day, its hard to say we know what's going to be the situation a month from now...much less 4 months.

Having two outdoor sports maybe a third in North America going first is critical because CFB ain’t going to be the first to play in front of crowds. Presidents and chancellor’s are risk averse on issues of student safety.

Right now seems likely USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Oregon State will sit out at least September and certainly some talk from the governor that Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCF, USF, FIU, and FAU may sit part of the season. So could be a weird year.

I think June tells the tale. More states are opening up. Compliance seems to be dropping off (see Mark Cuban’s blog, study found most businesses looked out were not complying with state re-opening guidelines).

If June blows up in cases that could be the scare that pulls the plug. If pace stays basically where it is. Maybe no crowds or limited crowds. Decline? Fire up the grill for the tailgate.

05-08-2020 01:40 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(05-08-2020 01:40 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Having two outdoor sports maybe a third in North America going first is critical because CFB ain’t going to be the first to play in front of crowds. Presidents and chancellor’s are risk averse on issues of student safety.

Right now seems likely USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Oregon State will sit out at least September and certainly some talk from the governor that Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCF, USF, FIU, and FAU may sit part of the season. So could be a weird year.

I think June tells the tale. More states are opening up. Compliance seems to be dropping off (see Mark Cuban’s blog, study found most businesses looked out were not complying with state re-opening guidelines).

If June blows up in cases that could be the scare that pulls the plug. If pace stays basically where it is. Maybe no crowds or limited crowds. Decline? Fire up the grill for the tailgate.

june will see a blowup in cases because testing is really ramping up...not concerned with those numbers..good for the media. the numbers to consider are positive hospital admits for the virus and mortality % of those. they will be monitoring rate of increase or decrease of those numbers.
05-08-2020 08:48 AM
wewererebels Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UT Arlington
(05-08-2020 08:48 AM)runamuck Wrote:  
(05-08-2020 01:40 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

june will see a blowup in cases because testing is really ramping up...not concerned with those numbers..good for the media. the numbers to consider are positive hospital admits for the virus and mortality % of those. they will be monitoring rate of increase or decrease of those numbers.

Very insightful. I always appreciate your thoughts.
05-10-2020 02:46 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I’m interested in the antibodies test. See what kind of percentage of the population had the virus and never knew it to begin with.
05-10-2020 02:52 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
This football season may be a mixed up mess. Either the Sun Belt and I mean all Belt schools either will be playing or none will. I have a hard time seeing stadiums full of fans this year. So if it is played I have to believe it will be in empty stadiums or in some reduced crowd scenario. I m not sure how conferences like the PAC 12 could play with 4-5 schools sitting it out
05-10-2020 03:53 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2020 02:52 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I’m interested in the antibodies test. See what kind of percentage of the population had the virus and never knew it to begin with.

Looks like very low rate of antibodies in MLB, a study has found

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2915...-employees

Sixty of the 5,754 people in a study of the Major League Baseball employee population tested positive for coronavirus antibodies, a rate lower than what similar studies run in California found, the studies' authors said Sunday.

"I was expecting a larger number," said Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University, which ran the study. "It shows the value of doing the science as opposed to guessing."
05-10-2020 05:42 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-10-2020 05:42 PM)slycat Wrote:  
(05-10-2020 02:52 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I’m interested in the antibodies test. See what kind of percentage of the population had the virus and never knew it to begin with.

Looks like very low rate of antibodies in MLB, a study has found

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2915...-employees

Sixty of the 5,754 people in a study of the Major League Baseball employee population tested positive for coronavirus antibodies, a rate lower than what similar studies run in California found, the studies' authors said Sunday.

"I was expecting a larger number," said Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University, which ran the study. "It shows the value of doing the science as opposed to guessing."

Thing is, that's not really a random sample. We're talking about generally wealthier people with the ability to stay home because they make enough money to make it possible. Its not surprising at all that they wouldn't test strongly positive

Likewise, tests in NYC, where the Virus has been running rampant, 1 in 4 on average had antibodies.

I'll repeat my guess again, the percentage of the population who has had this is probably around 10 percent accounting for the number of people who live in urban areas where its been wreaking havoc. You go test a small town in North Dakota, you likely find a much smaller rate.
05-10-2020 07:50 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-10-2020 03:53 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  This football season may be a mixed up mess. Either the Sun Belt and I mean all Belt schools either will be playing or none will. I have a hard time seeing stadiums full of fans this year. So if it is played I have to believe it will be in empty stadiums or in some reduced crowd scenario. I m not sure how conferences like the PAC 12 could play with 4-5 schools sitting it out

It's going to be a patchwork of policies depending on the state. Southern states where College Football provides a significant portion of the states economy are going to be faster to get students back on campus, and faster to get fans back in the stands. Arkansas quietly amended the guidelines for large outdoor venues to go from 50 fans max to 33 percent capacity provided they facility can provide an acceptable plan to prevent mass infections. In my eye, they aren't doing that unless they clearly are talking through scenarios for College Football.

In States out West and in the Northeast, where the virus impact has been greater felt, and the economy doesn't live and die with College Football, you might see either games with no fans, or nothing at all.
05-10-2020 07:54 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Saw a story today that there is a plan to allow high school football workouts in Georgia to begin July 6th. That is to be debated and decided by the Ga High School Association sometime in early June. If high school football is on in Ga for the Fall college football will be on too. Now it may be played with reduced fans in stadiums
05-10-2020 09:15 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

In Alabama high schools can start summer workouts June 8th, but only 9 kids at a time with their coach can be there.
05-11-2020 09:24 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

Not much new from what we have read or discussed but from the horse's mouth at NCAA

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...puses-open

Quote:"All of the commissioners and every president that I've talked to is in clear agreement: If you don't have students on campus, you don't have student-athletes on campus," Emmert said. "That doesn't mean [the school] has to be up and running in the full normal model, but you have to treat the health and well-being of the athletes at least as much as the regular students. ... If a school doesn't reopen, then they're not going to be playing sports. It's really that simple."

Quote:"Just because there's some regulation that's been lifted doesn't mean that automatically means you should immediately put 105,000 fans in a football stadium," Emmert said. "I think that the proper thing to do and the sensible thing to do is a phased approach. It's plausible to me that early in the season, let's just stick with football, you see a very limited fan access, but by later in the season, as things develop, hopefully in a very positive way, you all of sudden can see larger fan bases attending."
05-11-2020 10:31 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

NASCAR starts this weekend with no fans, baseball is looking at starting July 1st with no fans. Those will surely start having fans, limited at first, well before late August comes around. Some soccer leagues in Europe are starting back up, if they ever stopped to begin with.

Since the whole reaction to this virus has been a copycat scenario, I think as those league play with fans, our leagues will start allowing fans. Without some sort of disaster when it comes to this virus, we should be fine for full stadiums by the end of August. If you’re not comfortable being in a full stadium, then please, don’t attend, it really is that easy.
05-11-2020 10:42 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2020 10:42 AM)Usajags Wrote:  NASCAR starts this weekend with no fans, baseball is looking at starting July 1st with no fans. Those will surely start having fans, limited at first, well before late August comes around. Some soccer leagues in Europe are starting back up, if they ever stopped to begin with.

Since the whole reaction to this virus has been a copycat scenario, I think as those league play with fans, our leagues will start allowing fans. Without some sort of disaster when it comes to this virus, we should be fine for full stadiums by the end of August. If you’re not comfortable being in a full stadium, then please, don’t attend, it really is that easy.

And if you attend a full stadium don't go to grocery stores without a mask.
05-11-2020 11:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.