St Thomas and Augustana both to receive May votes for the Summit League
05-05-2020 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU
RE: St Thomas and Augustana both to receive May votes for the Summit League
(05-05-2020 12:46 PM)NoDak Wrote:  https://letsgodu.com/2020/05/04/augustan...his-month/

Close, but not quite. Augie is getting a vote. St Thomas was already voted on and accepted several months ago. The only question with St Thomas is when they will join the conference, and that is up to the NCAA.
05-05-2020 12:57 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
It sounds like they have no qualms about going to 11. It’s been an awfully long time since anyone has said the Summit has too many members.
05-05-2020 01:56 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Let's say both get in. The Summit will look like the following:

North Dakota
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Augustana
St. Thomas
Western Illinois
Missouri - Kansas City
Nebraska - Omaha
Oral Roberts
Denver

That's 11 members which allows for a solid 20-game basketball schedule. Denver and Oral Roberts aren't great fits but neither is any other conference for those schools. Denver is a bit far from the WCC (and not very basketball-focused) and Oral Roberts doesn't want to be in the Southland which is already bloated.
05-05-2020 02:14 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(05-05-2020 02:14 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Let's say both get in. The Summit will look like the following:

North Dakota
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Augustana
St. Thomas
Western Illinois
Missouri - Kansas City
Nebraska - Omaha
Oral Roberts
Denver

And compare that to the membership 15 years ago:

Oakland
Valparaiso
IUPUI
Chicago St
Western Illinois
UMKC
Oral Roberts
Centenary
Southern Utah

Or 25 years ago:
Troy
Central Connecticut St
Buffalo
Youngstown
Valparaiso
Chicago St
Northeastern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois
UMKC
Oral Roberts

04-jawdrop
05-05-2020 02:44 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(05-05-2020 02:44 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 02:14 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Let's say both get in. The Summit will look like the following:

North Dakota
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Augustana
St. Thomas
Western Illinois
Missouri - Kansas City
Nebraska - Omaha
Oral Roberts
Denver

And compare that to the membership 15 years ago:

Oakland
Valparaiso
IUPUI
Chicago St
Western Illinois
UMKC
Oral Roberts
Centenary
Southern Utah

Or 25 years ago:
Troy
Central Connecticut St
Buffalo
Youngstown
Valparaiso
Chicago St
Northeastern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois
UMKC
Oral Roberts

04-jawdrop

And some of us think the WAC is wild. Central Connecticut St in the same conference with Oral Roberts and Troy is a crime.
05-05-2020 03:13 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(05-05-2020 12:57 PM)Hammersmith Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 12:46 PM)NoDak Wrote:  https://letsgodu.com/2020/05/04/augustan...his-month/

Close, but not quite. Augie is getting a vote. St Thomas was already voted on and accepted several months ago. The only question with St Thomas is when they will join the conference, and that is up to the NCAA.

That DU article and the comment at the end of the article were all anti-Augustana. Is it just the writer's opinion or is it an actual representation of how the school feels?
05-05-2020 03:20 PM
Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

I know the Summit presidents and athletic directors are not enthused about Augie(to say it mildly), so I'm not sure what to make of it. On the one hand, I wonder if they've already decided to vote against them but are just going through the motions to appease some big-money Augie supporters in Sioux Falls(donors that have contributed many millions to several Summit schools). On the other hand, I wonder if there have been some developments behind the scenes that would make Augie the 10th school and not the 11th. Maybe the NCAA is not going to move on the St Thomas legislation as quickly as expected. Maybe COVID has pushed WIU past the breaking point. Or maybe UMKC. Or maybe NDSU has finally gotten that Big Ten offer we were all expecting. Maybe not that last one.

In any case, the May vote will be very interesting for those of us who are fans of a Summit school.
05-05-2020 03:21 PM
Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

(05-05-2020 03:20 PM)AZcats Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 12:57 PM)Hammersmith Wrote:  

That DU article and the comment at the end of the article were all anti-Augustana. Is it just the writer's opinion or is it an actual representation of how the school feels?
Both. I don't know if there's a single school in the Summit that actually wants Augie. But that DU writer REALLY doesn't want them.
05-05-2020 03:22 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-05-2020 03:22 PM)Hammersmith Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 03:20 PM)AZcats Wrote:  That DU article and the comment at the end of the article were all anti-Augustana. Is it just the writer's opinion or is it an actual representation of how the school feels?

Both. I don't know if there's a single school in the Summit that actually wants Augie. But that DU writer REALLY doesn't want them.

This passage from that article seems like a serious allegation...

Quote:We’ve frequently written about the chummy relationship between Douple and Kelby Krabbenhoft, CEO of Sanford Health, in the past. Krabbenhoft is a major sponsor of the Summit League, a booster of Augustana University, landlord of the Summit League offices, owner of numerous Sioux Falls sports properties, and a close personal friend of Commissioner Tom Douple. Asked about the conflict of interest as well as Sanford’s recent ‘gift’ of $250,000 to member schools, Douple labeled the accusations of undue influence by good buddy Krabbenhoft as ‘hogwash’. Adding that the ultimate decision on league membership was made by league presidents. (perhaps aided by Krabbenhoft and his ‘gift’).
05-05-2020 03:32 PM
Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

(05-05-2020 03:32 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 03:22 PM)Hammersmith Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 03:20 PM)AZcats Wrote:  That DU article and the comment at the end of the article were all anti-Augustana. Is it just the writer's opinion or is it an actual representation of how the school feels?

This passage from that article seems like a serious allegation...

Quote:We’ve frequently written about the chummy relationship between Douple and Kelby Krabbenhoft, CEO of Sanford Health, in the past. Krabbenhoft is a major sponsor of the Summit League, a booster of Augustana University, landlord of the Summit League offices, owner of numerous Sioux Falls sports properties, and a close personal friend of Commissioner Tom Douple. Asked about the conflict of interest as well as Sanford’s recent ‘gift’ of $250,000 to member schools, Douple labeled the accusations of undue influence by good buddy Krabbenhoft as ‘hogwash’. Adding that the ultimate decision on league membership was made by league presidents. (perhaps aided by Krabbenhoft and his ‘gift’).
It's not the Sanford/Krabbenhoft/Douple connection that would be the deciding factor. And it's not even really the $250k. If it happens it will be because of bigger strong-arm tactics or the league really needing another school.

Consider some of the newer facilities at Summit schools:
SDSU has the SJAC large practice and competition facility. That stands for Sanford-Jackrabbit Athletic Complex.
NDSU has the SHAC athletics building and basketball arena. That stands for Sanford Health Athletic Complex.
USD has the SCSC basketball arena. Sanford Coyote Sports Center.

All of those naming rights donations were between $5M and $10M.

The Summit League tourney is held in the Denny Sanford Premier Center.
The Summit League offices will be in the Sanford Sports Complex, right next to the Sanford Pentagon and the Sanford Fieldhouse.

Sensing a trend?

Well before joining the Summit, UND had the opportunity for money for their indoor practice facility, but they decided to keep their partnership with their local health system, Altru, instead of switching to Sanford Health. (the donations were the same)

Sanford Health also wants to get into the Minneapolis market, so a big donation to St Thomas isn't out of the question.

The May vote will be interesting.
05-05-2020 03:56 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline

I guess it’s a question of whether or not Sanford Health bought enough votes.

Frankly, I think it’s bad business to let the Augustana thing go this far if you’re not going to let them in.
05-05-2020 04:02 PM
Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

(05-05-2020 04:02 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I guess it’s a question of whether or not Sanford Health bought enough votes.

Frankly, I think it’s bad business to let the Augustana thing go this far if you’re not going to let them in.

Regarding your first sentence: Exactly. The DU author was trying to say that Krabbenhoft(Sanford Health pres) would influence Douple who would then influence the Summit presidents. In my post, I was trying to say that, if anything, Krabbenhoft would be trying to influence the presidents directly.

As for your second sentence, I get it. If Augie doesn't get an invite, I think it only got this far because of an attempt to appease Krabbenhoft. But are they actually willing to vote Augie in? I just don't know. I think there would have to be some major money thrown around on top of what has already been donated, and I'm not certain Sanford Health can do it. It's one thing to spend money on naming rights on facilities within the Sanford Health footprint, but what about Denver, Tulsa, Kansas City, Macomb, and Omaha? And Sanford Health isn't allowed to take over in Grand Forks because of monopoly reasons(or they already would have bought out Altru). Can Krabbenhoft actually find away to funnel enough money to the Summit universities during a time when everyone is looking at health care and spiraling costs? Like I said, I just don't know.
05-05-2020 04:20 PM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
There is nothing that leads me to believe that Augustana can have any success in D1. The article about the new T&F facility released in the same week the school announced its desire for D1 says a lot. They had to scale back plans because the $6M price tag was too high and really angered athletes and disappointed coaches.

Change in track blueprints results in miscommunication and upset athletes
05-05-2020 04:30 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4

North Dakota
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Augustana
St. Thomas
Western Illinois
Missouri - Kansas City
Nebraska - Omaha
Oral Roberts
Denver

That's 11 members which allows for a solid 20-game basketball schedule. Denver and Oral Roberts aren't great fits but neither is any other conference for those schools. Denver is a bit far from the WCC (and not very basketball-focused) and Oral Roberts doesn't want to be in the Southland which is already bloated.

Congratulations for creating a terrible conference.
05-05-2020 05:18 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(05-05-2020 04:30 PM)AZcats Wrote:  There is nothing that leads me to believe that Augustana can have any success in D1. The article about the new T&F facility released in the same week the school announced its desire for D1 says a lot. They had to scale back plans because the $6M price tag was too high and really angered athletes and disappointed coaches.

You don't have faith in their 12 student enrollment?
05-05-2020 05:19 PM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(05-05-2020 04:30 PM)AZcats Wrote:  There is nothing that leads me to believe that Augustana can have any success in D1. The article about the new T&F facility released in the same week the school announced its desire for D1 says a lot. They had to scale back plans because the $6M price tag was too high and really angered athletes and disappointed coaches.

I know of a lot of D-II schools that look like Augustana (enrollment, endowment) that wouldn't have a prayer in D-I.

They've been a good D-II program, especially since the UxDs and xDSUs moved to D-I and they moved over to the NSIC. From what I've read, they were a cellar dweller in the NCC.

But, if they have donors (Sanford Health, ahem) that are willing to help them, then they're going to follow their historic NCC conference mates into D-I. Good luck with all that. More power to them.
05-05-2020 05:33 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

I think Sanford’s money would be better spent making them a top notch D-2 program, rather than a cellar dweller D-1 program
05-05-2020 05:47 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(05-05-2020 05:18 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

North Dakota
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
Augustana
St. Thomas
Western Illinois
Missouri - Kansas City
Nebraska - Omaha
Oral Roberts
Denver

Congratulations for creating a terrible conference.

That’s actually an example of stellar conference leadership. Douple’s taken a conference with outposts in Connecticut, Alabama, Louisiana, & Utah, and now confined it to a geographical region with a geographic identity.

Douple also identified valuable schools either below the D1 ranks (NDSU, SDSU, St Thomas) or stranded in another league (Denver) to mold into a core.
05-05-2020 05:54 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
Denver and Kansas City both suck and have never been to the NCAA Tournament. When was the last time ORU made it?
05-05-2020 05:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.