Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

COVID-19: Resurgance of Crosstown/In-State Rivalries?
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
COVID-19: Resurgance of Crosstown/In-State Rivalries?
Loyola and DePaul have announced a revival of their series after an 8-year hiatus (remember, Loyola was moribound back then). As a native, having Chicago’s two premier programs play a home-and-home is huge and definitely a ticket I’m not missing out on.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/4/30/2...all-series

Meanwhile across the Mississippi, Mizzou is visiting Missouri St in Springfield for the first time in 80 years. 11k seat JQH Arena is expected to sellout.
https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports...076072001/
05-03-2020 11:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
RE: COVID-19: Resurgance of Crosstown/In-State Rivalries?
The quicker they’re into it, the quicker they’ll be out of it. I would enjoy what I can when these bouts come up, but I don’t believe anything will come of it over the long haul. This is done on necessity more than choice. And we’re not that far since some of these schools went their lengths to keep deliberate distance from others.
05-04-2020 07:13 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Cincinnati and Louisville (separate states but 100 miles distance between the schools) renewing their basketball rivalry this year after a six-year hiatus due to ESPN giving UC the shaft. This will be the 100th meeting between the schools.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2020 07:29 AM by CliftonAve.)
05-04-2020 07:28 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(05-04-2020 07:28 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Cincinnati and Louisville (separate states but 100 miles distance between the schools) renewing their basketball rivalry this year after a six-year hiatus due to ESPN giving UC the shaft. This will be the 100th meeting between the schools.

I hope this one continues long-term.
05-04-2020 08:58 AM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(05-03-2020 11:53 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Loyola and DePaul have announced a revival of their series after an 8-year hiatus (remember, Loyola was moribound back then). As a native, having Chicago’s two premier programs play a home-and-home is huge and definitely a ticket I’m not missing out on.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/4/30/2...all-series

Meanwhile across the Mississippi, Mizzou is visiting Missouri St in Springfield for the first time in 80 years. 11k seat JQH Arena is expected to sellout.
https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports...076072001/

This is great to hear. Will be good for the city. Thanks for posting.
05-04-2020 11:05 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I could see the DePaul - Loyola series sticking around for beyond this initial 2-game series. It's a long-time historic rivalry and Loyola's relative position of leverage to negotiate home-and-home series is as high as it's been in over 40 years compared to DePaul.

I'm not sure why the heck Mizzou would agree to play a road game at Missouri State, though. That's the definition of a "lose - lose" game for Mizzou - they won't get much credit for a win and they'll get absolutely hammered for a loss despite it likely being a very hostile environment. Don't get me wrong - I'm all about Mizzou losing as an Illini fan, but that's the type of game that I'd avoid like the plague if I was running a P5 athletic department.
05-04-2020 11:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-04-2020 11:55 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I'm not sure why the heck Mizzou would agree to play a road game at Missouri State, though. That's the definition of a "lose - lose" game for Mizzou - they won't get much credit for a win and they'll get absolutely hammered for a loss despite it likely being a very hostile environment. Don't get me wrong - I'm all about Mizzou losing as an Illini fan, but that's the type of game that I'd avoid like the plague if I was running a P5 athletic department.

Cuonzo Martin used to coach Missouri State. I am sure he complained then about Mizzou not playing them.

Also - makes for another drivable trip. Anything to avoid planes these days
05-04-2020 12:44 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-04-2020 12:44 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(05-04-2020 11:55 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I'm not sure why the heck Mizzou would agree to play a road game at Missouri State, though. That's the definition of a "lose - lose" game for Mizzou - they won't get much credit for a win and they'll get absolutely hammered for a loss despite it likely being a very hostile environment. Don't get me wrong - I'm all about Mizzou losing as an Illini fan, but that's the type of game that I'd avoid like the plague if I was running a P5 athletic department.

Cuonzo Martin used to coach Missouri State. I am sure he complained then about Mizzou not playing them.

Ah - I didn't realize the personal connection that Cuonzo Martin has there. That explains it a bit better.
05-04-2020 01:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
That's great for basketball, but what about football rivalries like Texas vs Texas A&M, Oklahoma vs Nebraska, Tulane vs LSU, Oklahoma State vs Tulsa, etc.?
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2020 02:56 PM by SMUstang.)
05-04-2020 02:55 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(05-04-2020 02:55 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  That's great for basketball, but what about football rivalries like Texas vs Texas A&M, Oklahoma vs Nebraska, Tulane vs LSU, Oklahoma State vs Tulsa, etc.?

OU and Nebraska have a home and home scheduled for 2021 and 2022. Next year is the 50th anniversary of the Game of The Century. They have another home and home in 2029 and 2030.

OSU and Tulsa are in the middle of a series now. They played in Tulsa last year and are scheduled to play in Stillwater this year.

LSU vs Tulane? Not sure. LSU is playing the other Louisiana schools at home on a rotating basis. Tulane may come up again in the rotation.

UT vs A&M? It'll be a long time before they agree to terms. They can't agree on who dropped the series or who refuses to play whom.
05-04-2020 05:48 PM
Advertisement

mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-04-2020 01:12 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(05-04-2020 12:44 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Ah - I didn't realize the personal connection that Cuonzo Martin has there. That explains it a bit better.

I would think that thanks to CoVid, college sports are all under great financial pressure. Scheduling the old close-by rivals for OOC games in Olympic sports, cuts travel costs and increases ticket sales.
05-04-2020 06:21 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Pokes, Oral Roberts ink home-and-home
https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/colleg...user-share
05-07-2020 12:51 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(05-07-2020 12:51 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Pokes, Oral Roberts ink home-and-home
https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/colleg...user-share

I schedule Oral as often as I can.
05-07-2020 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.