Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Are 4*s now the new 5*s
Bookmark and Share
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
Are 4*s now the new 5*s
With a lot of 5 star players now electing to go pro instead of college---it seems to me that college teams now might start focusing on the 4 star players instead of 5*----thus when it comes to the NCAA the 4 * players will in essence become the new sought after recruits .

Look at the recruits that the TIGERS let slip away because of the focus they put on players that most likely go pro. Brown even looks like now he goes pro. Heck 3* become 4* when it pertains to college. Why waist time on players likely to go pro--as you let other great players go elsewhere Murrell/Moore etc... anyway probably something captain obvious but something to ponder
04-16-2020 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigTigerMike Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Are 4*s now the new 5*s
Still think Penny and Memphis is in a good spot going forward. With G-league elites and eventually straight-to-NBA taking all the 5 stars, now Penny and Mike can approach these 4 stars that aren’t quite good enough for ‘NBA ready’ and can sell getting them into the league. How many under the radar talents like Ja Morant that may be out there that can explode onto the scene with the right teaching? Penny just need to shift everything down to upper 3 and 4 stars and homegrown Memphis talent.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2020 09:37 PM by BigTigerMike.)
04-16-2020 09:35 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
It feels right now to me the fastest programs to adapt will be the best off both short term and mid-term. Long-term pretty much all teams should be adjusted to this coming change.
04-16-2020 11:46 PM
Advertisement

Penny_Luva Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
Also the new trend might be instead of declaring early for the NBA draft the borderline draft prospects may declare for the GL instead. So not only top high school recruits are getting plucked but also the decent veteran college players. An example might be a Jeremiah Martin type.
04-17-2020 08:38 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I think staffs will be much more discerning with their time, depending on the recruit and family. Even best case, I think the focus on "Plan B" will move to more time, effort and more like "Plan A_b" so to speak.
04-17-2020 08:45 AM
Advertisement

finch vanilla Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofM
I agree. So like Plan B will become more like Plan C and Plan C will be the new Plan A.
04-18-2020 11:05 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
(04-18-2020 11:05 PM)finch vanilla Wrote:  I agree. So like Plan B will become more like Plan C and Plan C will be the new Plan A.

Huh?
04-19-2020 08:58 AM
Advertisement

uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(04-19-2020 08:58 AM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  
(04-18-2020 11:05 PM)finch vanilla Wrote:  I agree. So like Plan B will become more like Plan C and Plan C will be the new Plan A.

Huh?

03-lmfao
04-19-2020 10:12 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(04-17-2020 08:45 AM)80sTiger Wrote:  I think staffs will be much more discerning with their time, depending on the recruit and family. Even best case, I think the focus on "Plan B" will move to more time, effort and more like "Plan A_b" so to speak.

The big problem with that is, these families and kids are out right lying.

Look at our last two big recruits.. up until the very day they announced they were going pro, they told everyone they were going to college. If they are talking to agents or other types of money people they are going to be told not to announce their decision. They want to keep their names in the media as much as possible. If they are one of the top unsigned recruits, they will be a daily topic of conversation on message boards and the occasional hits on ESPN.
04-19-2020 10:35 AM
Advertisement

SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(04-19-2020 10:35 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(04-17-2020 08:45 AM)80sTiger Wrote:  I think staffs will be much more discerning with their time, depending on the recruit and family. Even best case, I think the focus on "Plan B" will move to more time, effort and more like "Plan A_b" so to speak.

Look at our last two big recruits.. up until the very day they announced they were going pro, they told everyone they were going to college. If they are talking to agents or other types of money people they are going to be told not to announce their decision. They want to keep their names in the media as much as possible. If they are one of the top unsigned recruits, they will be a daily topic of conversation on message boards and the occasional hits on ESPN.

I think you are going to see a major shift away from big time recruits delaying their announcement until these absurdly late dates.

Penny went all in on two program changing recruits that both announced in April. There is absolutely no reason for recruits to need until April to pick a school but we sold out going for them and now we are left with transfers as our only viable option...

With the G League apparently becoming a real option I think coaches are not going to hold off signing other players in hopes of landing a Green in April when chances are they are turning pro.
04-19-2020 11:24 AM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(04-19-2020 11:24 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 10:35 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  

I think you are going to see a major shift away from big time recruits delaying their announcement until these absurdly late dates.

Penny went all in on two program changing recruits that both announced in April. There is absolutely no reason for recruits to need until April to pick a school but we sold out going for them and now we are left with transfers as our only viable option...

With the G League apparently becoming a real option I think coaches are not going to hold off signing other players in hopes of landing a Green in April when chances are they are turning pro.

If we get the transfers we will be better off anyway. Having more experience will help the others as well.

Nolley
Haarms
Cisse
Rand

Very solid class if it lands that way
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2020 02:37 PM by uskjtc02.)
04-19-2020 11:28 AM
finch vanilla Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofM
(04-19-2020 08:58 AM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  

Huh?

Just joshing around with 80s Tiger.
04-19-2020 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.