Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Gavin Newsom announces coronavirus cash payments to illegal immigrants
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Gavin Newsom announces coronavirus cash payments to illegal immigrants
Quote:California will cut $500 checks to illegal immigrants struggling to pay bills amid coronavirus, the state’s governor announced Wednesday, becoming the first jurisdiction to offer a rescue package to people who aren’t in the country legally.

State taxpayers will shell out $75 million from their Disaster Relief Fund, and another $50 billion will come from a network of philanthropic foundations, Gov. Gavin Newsom said.

Illegal immigrant adults can get a $500 check, with a maximum of $1,000 per household. Mr. Newsom anticipated about 150,000 people will get a check — a small fraction of the state’s unauthorized population of perhaps 2 million.

Illegal immigrants will be able to apply beginning in May.

Mr. Newsom did not say how the state will verify the payments are going to illegal immigrants, but said the money will be handed out by regional nonprofits who, he said, have “expertise” in reaching illegal immigrants.

Last week he announced the state’s Medicaid program would pay for testing and treatment of COVID-19 for any state resident — including those in the country illegally.

The coronavirus crisis has become a proving ground for immigrant-rights activists, who say the 11 million people in the country without permission are often on the “front lines” of economic activity, such as working the farms to keep the food supply intact.

Activists also point to thousands of illegal immigrant “Dreamers” who have tentative status under the Obama-era DACA program and who are working as nurses, or hundreds of thousands of migrants here under the humanitarian Temporary Protected Status program who are doing mainly low-wage jobs.

Democrats on Capitol Hill have demanded the administration automatically extend those and other work permits, giving migrants a chance to remain beyond their current allotted time.

The Trump administration did take a small step Wednesday, ruling that agriculture guest workers here under the H-2A program will be allowed to stay beyond the three-year limit, and can switch employers, too.

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf said that would help stabilize the food supply.

In California, immigrant-rights groups cheered Mr. Newsom’s announcement, calling it a bold statement on behalf of those here illegally.

“This is a recognition of the fact that immigrant families are essential to our state. Their economic and labor contributions are keeping us going,” said Angelica Salas, director of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights.

She said the federal government “has ignored” illegal immigrants, so the state’s help is important.

Mr. Newsom said the foundations the state is working with have said they can raise the additional $50 million. The California Immigrant Resilience Fund has $5.5 million in the bank right now, and it is soliciting donations from the public online.

CIRF says one in 10 California workers is here illegally.

The fund said it may pay more to illegal immigrants in the high-cost area around San Francisco, compared to the state’s Central Valley region.

“The California Immigrant Resilience Fund is a critical investment because so many immigrant families have been left out of other aid packages, yet these residents face consequences to their health and safety that will be compounded across future generations,” said Debbie I. Chang, president of the Blue Shield of California Foundation, which has committed $1 million to the fund.

Link

After all, this is the state that gives in-state tuition to illegals and denies it to military dependents.
04-15-2020 04:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
RE: Gavin Newsom announces coronavirus cash payments to illegal immigrants
If I lived in Cali I'd be a pissed off mofo.
04-15-2020 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
This is my favorite paragraph in the article:

Quote:Mr. Newsom did not say how the state will verify the payments are going to illegal immigrants, but said the money will be handed out by regional nonprofits who, he said, have “expertise” in reaching illegal immigrants.
04-15-2020 07:43 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(04-15-2020 07:22 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  If I lived in Cali I'd be a pissed off mofo.
By and by, the sort of people who live there actually approve of these things. The people who don’t like it have been moving out for a long time. And even more to the point, the sort of people who don’t like it try to make sure they never move there in the first place.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2020 08:16 PM by Native Georgian.)
04-15-2020 08:13 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Prolife crowd: let em starve!
04-15-2020 08:24 PM
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(04-15-2020 08:13 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(04-15-2020 07:22 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  If I lived in Cali I'd be a pissed off mofo.
By and by, the sort of people who live there actually approve of these things. The people who don’t like it have been moving out for a long time. And even more to the point, the sort of people who don’t like it try to make sure they never move there in the first place.

Fvck yes. I would never Consider moving to California.
04-15-2020 09:41 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-15-2020 08:24 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  Prolife crowd: let em starve!

Let them apply for citizenship from their home countries. No one wants them to starve. Way to exaggerate.
04-15-2020 09:43 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

Let them apply for citizenship from their home countries. No one wants them to starve. Way to exaggerate.
04-15-2020 09:43 PM
450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis

Profile crowd? Who's doing the profiling? The governor is giving money to illegals. Looks like he did the profiling.
04-16-2020 08:28 AM
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

Obviously Gavin has no aspirations to become President. People outside of California (maybe with the exception of some Boulder Colorado douchebags) don’t support this kind of shiite
04-16-2020 08:57 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
I can get the fundamental issue of saying "we don't want to give cash to people here illegally" but the problem is this is an issue that we are really only as protected as the most vulnerable populations. If these people go completely broke they are gonna either work while sick and spread this further or get desperate and start committing crimes just to survive. I don't know what the answer to this is.
04-16-2020 09:20 AM
olliebaba Online
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(04-16-2020 09:20 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I can get the fundamental issue of saying "we don't want to give cash to people here illegally" but the problem is this is an issue that we are really only as protected as the most vulnerable populations. If these people go completely broke they are gonna either work while sick and spread this further or get desperate and start committing crimes just to survive. I don't know what the answer to this is.

You can also send them back or they can go back on their own. That's two choices too.
04-16-2020 11:23 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(04-16-2020 11:23 AM)olliebaba Wrote:  
(04-16-2020 09:20 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I can get the fundamental issue of saying "we don't want to give cash to people here illegally" but the problem is this is an issue that we are really only as protected as the most vulnerable populations. If these people go completely broke they are gonna either work while sick and spread this further or get desperate and start committing crimes just to survive. I don't know what the answer to this is.

You can also send them back or they can go back on their own. That's two choices too.

Real easy to say, how do you make that a reality during a pandemic even if you wanted to without risking even more lives? This isn't a situation where you can just address anything with the same partisan nonsense. I don't like either side on this issue I think the Dems are a bunch of soft pansies for wanting no border and I think the GOP is just unrealistic thinking it's even possible to ever actually round up everyone. Now if you want to get real serious about not just fining but jailing people that knowingly employ illegal immigrants then sure I'd be fine with that, but I haven't seen that pushed very hard by the right unless I've missed it (and if I have I apologize).
04-16-2020 12:51 PM
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I think 2 things should happen...

ICE ought to offer to deliver the checks.

ICE & the DOJ should go after the charities that can so easily "locate" illegal immigrants without reporting them.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2020 01:08 PM by ECUGrad07.)
04-16-2020 01:07 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
College students and people making >$100k get nothing, but foreign nationals living illegally in California get $500 each.

We are a joke country. If we weren't, these "charities" that are aiding and abetting literal national security risks would be getting their doors kicked in by the FBI right now.
04-16-2020 01:23 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

The thing about being an illegal immigrant is that they illegally immigrated from somewhere. The governments of El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, etc. should be the ones who are on the hook for this crap. They are their people.
04-16-2020 01:26 PM
bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:

Nice comparison. Illegal aliens who made a choice to come here illegally and could make the same choice to return versus a helpless baby who's only crime is that it is unwanted. Well done. Way to show how utterly despicable your side is.
04-16-2020 02:19 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(04-16-2020 01:07 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  I think 2 things should happen...

ICE & the DOJ should go after the charities that can so easily "locate" illegal immigrants without reporting them.

And then what exactly? You are putting not only those people at risk but members ICE and the DOJ at risk. The one thing I'm not gonna say I like about this but I find ironic about this pandemic is the most vulnerable of society who are the most ignored can cause a chain that infects even the most elite. That's why you can't treat this like any other partisan issue.
04-16-2020 03:12 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(04-16-2020 03:12 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(04-16-2020 01:07 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  I think 2 things should happen...

And then what exactly? You are putting not only those people at risk but members ICE and the DOJ at risk. The one thing I'm not gonna say I like about this but I find ironic about this pandemic is the most vulnerable of society who are the most ignored can cause a chain that infects even the most elite. That's why you can't treat this like any other partisan issue.

Foreign nationals in our country illegally should always feel like and be at risk, it is a good deterrent. And those in federal law enforcement would themselves tell you that they agreed to such risks when they signed up. It’s in the job description.

Poor argument.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2020 04:26 PM by Kronke.)
04-16-2020 04:25 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
And who is going to pay for that? Oh that's right, the tapped out taxpayers of California.
04-17-2020 08:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.