Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Semi-OT -- LaTech's "Game of the Decade" poll
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Semi-OT -- LaTech's "Game of the Decade" poll
According to this post on the conference board (https://csnbbs.com/thread-898051-post-16...16779197), LaTech's extra-inning baseball win over us in 2016 placed second in their recent "Game of the Decade" poll.
04-15-2020 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Semi-OT -- LaTech's "Game of the Decade" poll
I like trying to figure out what our game of the 2010s was. I don't think we have a singular crowning achievement that stands out the way the CWS win in the 2000s does, but a few good wins come to mind:

- CUSA football championship
- Volleyball over UT
- Men's basketball over Memphis at the start of the decade
- Women's basketball undefeated in conference
- 2013's regional win over Oregon
04-16-2020 08:22 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-16-2020 08:22 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I like trying to figure out what our game of the 2010s was. I don't think we have a singular crowning achievement that stands out the way the CWS win in the 2000s does, but a few good wins come to mind:

- CUSA football championship
- Volleyball over UT
- Men's basketball over Memphis at the start of the decade
- Women's basketball undefeated in conference
- 2013's regional win over Oregon

Agree with this list. The only one I'd consider adding/replacing would be for baseball, with the 2017 walkoff CUSA conference championship win over USM to extend our conference championship streak to 21 seasons (which would come to an end the following year).
04-16-2020 08:50 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
There's the WBI championship for the women's basketball team in 2017.

I had a feeling there might be some women's tennis results that could qualify, too. I found this match from Katherine Ip in 2015 to earn NCAA All America status, coming back from 3-5 in the third set to win 4 straight games. I recall that one being pretty exciting (albeit remotely following).

https://riceowls.com/news/2016/5/26/Ip_R...tatus.aspx

The game before that, when she took down the #4 seeded player in the NCAA tournament, was also very exciting, with lots of swings in momentum.

https://riceowls.com/news/2016/5/25/Ip_S...ngles.aspx

Natalie Beazant had some great stuff the year before in the NCAA individuals, coming back from 2-5 in the third set to earn All America honors.

https://riceowls.com/news/2013/5/23/Stun...onors.aspx

George Webb might have better recollection on team matches that were edge-of-the-seat thrillers.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2020 12:01 PM by gsloth.)
04-16-2020 12:01 PM
Advertisement

Houston Owl 2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
A little earlier but Women's Tennis beat Ole Miss at Oxford in the NCAA tournament and then defeated Illinois to advance to the Sweet-16. IMO, in one of the most amazing matches in Rice tennis history, Dominique Harmath was down 0-5 in the first set of her match against Illinois and came back to win 7-6; 6-3.
04-16-2020 01:22 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

One of my favorite wins was in the 2016 baseball regional vs. LSU where we forced a final game and then came within two innings of winning the regional in a game that I believe was played on a Tuesday morning.
04-16-2020 04:27 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-16-2020 04:27 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  One of my favorite wins was in the 2016 baseball regional vs. LSU where we forced a final game and then came within two innings of winning the regional in a game that I believe was played on a Tuesday morning.

Yeah, but unfortunately, due to the rainouts, I had to fly back first thing that Tuesday morning. Wily Amador pitched his heart out, but we had no other pitching left due to all the postponements. Duplantier, Fox (who still attempted to close it out), Otto and Myer were all burned out and not available. Conversely, LSU had days off and were well rested, and was able to throw their co-ace in in relief with a full 3 days rest.
04-16-2020 05:29 PM
Advertisement

baker-'13 Offline
2nd String

That was the same year as the ball that went under the bench in the LSU bullpen, right?
04-21-2020 02:09 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-21-2020 02:09 PM)baker-13 Wrote:  That was the same year as the ball that went under the bench in the LSU bullpen, right?

Yup. our 2nd game was played on Sunday night against LSU, who had 1 1/2 days of rest, having gotten their first game in on Friday afternoon before the rain set in. Dup a bit overhyped for the game, walked the first 3 batters, and then THAT play.
04-21-2020 02:47 PM
Jonathan Sadow Offline
1st String

I Root For: Strigids
New Orleans Bowl
(04-21-2020 02:47 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-21-2020 02:09 PM)baker-13 Wrote:  That was the same year as the ball that went under the bench in the LSU bullpen, right?

Yup. our 2nd game was played on Sunday night against LSU, who had 1 1/2 days of rest, having gotten their first game in on Friday afternoon before the rain set in. Dup a bit overhyped for the game, walked the first 3 batters, and then THAT play.

The shame of it was, as I recall, the Owls shut out the Tigers the rest of the game, but by then the damage was done.
04-22-2020 07:09 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-22-2020 07:09 PM)Jonathan Sadow Wrote:  

The shame of it was, as I recall, the Owls shut out the Tigers the rest of the game, but by then the damage was done.

Yup. Dup righted the ship and was lights out for the next 4 innings, until the rain returned and caused too long of a delay to keep him in. What hurt is we were just starting to get to their ace, Alex Lange, just before the rain set in. Wunderlich had just hit a HR to close the gap to 4-1, and we had two guys on base with one out. The delay gave Lange a chance to calm himself, and when the game resumed he got into a groove. Jackson Parthasarathy relieved Big Jon, in his first appearance since early in the season, and shut out LSU the final 4 or 5 innings, only allowing a couple baserunners.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2020 07:41 PM by waltgreenberg.)
04-22-2020 07:40 PM
franklyconfused Offline
Special Teams

Stepping back a little, we need to remember that the game wasn't decided on just the unlucky bench hit. If Warren had gotten the bench hit to be called a ground rule double, that would have scored 2 and left runners on second and third. The next two batters were HBP and a single that would have had added at least one RBI. LSU was going to score at least 3 in the first inning, and we only got 2 across the plate the entire game.
04-23-2020 11:38 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-23-2020 11:38 AM)franklyconfused Wrote:  

Stepping back a little, we need to remember that the game wasn't decided on just the unlucky bench hit. If Warren had gotten the bench hit to be called a ground rule double, that would have scored 2 and left runners on second and third. The next two batters were HBP and a single that would have had added at least one RBI. LSU was going to score at least 3 in the first inning, and we only got 2 across the plate the entire game.

As I said above, the rain delay bailed Alex Lange out. We had him on the ropes in the top of the 5th inning, when the rain came. After the 1+ hour delay, he was able to settle himself down and reenergize.
04-23-2020 03:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.