Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pete Thamel Article in COVID-19 $ Issues
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
Pete Thamel Article in COVID-19 $ Issues
Mentions regional scheduling alliances are being discussed for certain sports outside of conference affiliation. Could the dire finances that caused the ODU and Cincy cuts be an impetus for reducing the number of conference games for far flung leagues like CUSA or spark regional realignment?

Article
04-14-2020 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Pete Thamel Article in COVID-19 $ Issues
Great quote:

The same could be said for schools in the Northeast, as it makes more sense for Boston College, Rhode Island, Holy Cross and UConn to play each other in non-revenue sports than many of their far-flung geographic league peers. “You would have to get to a place where people put a lot of ego aside,” said another AD in the Group of Five. “Sports is driven more by ego than common sense.”
04-14-2020 08:18 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
"“...I think now that Cincinnati just did it, watch the next month,” said another athletic director from an FBS school. “They cleared the way for other people to do it. Cincinnati puts it on a different level. Unfortunately, you’re going to start to see it. When you have to right-size everything, that’s going to become a way out for a lot of these programs...."”
04-14-2020 08:33 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-14-2020 08:18 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Great quote:

The same could be said for schools in the Northeast, as it makes more sense for Boston College, Rhode Island, Holy Cross and UConn to play each other in non-revenue sports than many of their far-flung geographic league peers. “You would have to get to a place where people put a lot of ego aside,” said another AD in the Group of Five. “Sports is driven more by ego than common sense.”

That's probably the best college athletics quote of all time. For example, common sense says that probably only about 1 in 10 schools across all divisions that currently have football should have football. Why do the other 90% have it anyway? Ego.
04-14-2020 08:38 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-14-2020 08:38 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

That's probably the best college athletics quote of all time. For example, common sense says that probably only about 1 in 10 schools across all divisions that currently have football should have football. Why do the other 90% have it anyway? Ego.

As much as what I laud the virtues of the G5 football program making a request to temporarily cut the other 15 sports to salvage it is despicable.

What they should be doing instead is mandating 50% salary cuts across the athletic department at places where they are paying 1 million plus.

To save 900k a year on soccer by cutting it when the FB coach makes 3 times times is terrible.
04-14-2020 09:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-14-2020 09:27 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

As much as what I laud the virtues of the G5 football program making a request to temporarily cut the other 15 sports to salvage it is despicable.

What they should be doing instead is mandating 50% salary cuts across the athletic department at places where they are paying 1 million plus.

To save 900k a year on soccer by cutting it when the FB coach makes 3 times times is terrible.

Yup - Fickel's base is $2.4 M, with easy incentives could get him 300K additional.

Plus how much do the assistants make?

How much does UC football lose a year?
04-14-2020 09:42 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

Cinci assistants make another $2.7 Million/year.

$5.4 million JUST for Football coaches at UC.

But soccer is the issue...
04-14-2020 09:44 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-14-2020 09:44 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Cinci assistants make another $2.7 Million/year.

Years ago I recall an AD hand-wringing over the evil Title IX forcing him to cut wrestling. Within a month the football coach received a million dollar raise.
04-14-2020 10:28 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-14-2020 08:04 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  Mentions regional scheduling alliances are being discussed for certain sports outside of conference affiliation. Could the dire finances that caused the ODU and Cincy cuts be an impetus for reducing the number of conference games for far flung leagues like CUSA or spark regional realignment?

Article

One of the interesting parts is the G5 believe this will require a period up to 4 years for this waiver.

This longer period when its said and done will be a permanent restructuring of expenses, most notably coaching salaries paid at this level with the acknowledgement they have to wait out existing contracts.

Gone will be the AAC's huge spending advantage over the other G5 conferences when this is said and done. They'll still pay the most but by 20% or 30% not 200% or 300% like now.

There will be head FB and BB coaches in G5 where expectations top out at the conference level taking salaries for less than 200k.

I see a game of chicken developing to see who is going to hang in at current spending levels. Some will hang in waiting for others to capitulate with hopes of changing the G5 hierarchy.

There is even a possibility of some of the MAC/CUSA/SBC schools who want to continue to spend breaking away from those who can't. It may not be about geography or markets this time around as much as deep pockets and commitment.
04-14-2020 10:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Wait a minute, i thought Aresco would be signing a letter with the other P6 commissioners. Wa happened?
04-14-2020 10:54 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(04-14-2020 09:42 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Yup - Fickel's base is $2.4 M, with easy incentives could get him 300K additional.

I'm a hoops guy, and I would say you should also lay it at the feet of that program, too. Traditionally, basketball was the only money-making sport at D1 schools. That isn't even true anymore because of staffing. And, if you give away your home games in the non-conference, forget it.
04-14-2020 10:55 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-14-2020 09:44 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Cinci assistants make another $2.7 Million/year.

If you look at the balance sheets, UC football breaks even when you consider expenses. Revenue wise our FB program is bringing in the lion’s share- 2x as much as our basketball program.

Even after cutting men’s soccer, the school still sponsors 18 varsity sports and our brand is strong as ever. We will be fine long term.
04-15-2020 04:23 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(04-14-2020 10:55 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

I'm a hoops guy, and I would say you should also lay it at the feet of that program, too. Traditionally, basketball was the only money-making sport at D1 schools. That isn't even true anymore because of staffing. And, if you give away your home games in the non-conference, forget it.

From the article: "The move had been discussed there internally prior, in part because the Big 12, where university officials have long targeted as a potential landing spot, doesn’t offer men’s soccer."

UC Soccer wasn't cut just because of COVID. COVID was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
04-15-2020 04:27 AM
Florida tribe fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(04-15-2020 04:27 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(04-14-2020 10:55 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(04-14-2020 08:38 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  That's probably the best college athletics quote of all time. For example, common sense says that probably only about 1 in 10 schools across all divisions that currently have football should have football. Why do the other 90% have it anyway? Ego.

From the article: "The move had been discussed there internally prior, in part because the Big 12, where university officials have long targeted as a potential landing spot, doesn’t offer men’s soccer."

UC Soccer wasn't cut just because of COVID. COVID was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

AAC geography and travel make perfect sense though, right?
04-15-2020 05:28 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4

Amen.
04-15-2020 09:06 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(04-14-2020 10:54 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Wait a minute, i thought Aresco would be signing a letter with the other P6 commissioners. Wa happened?

Reality set in.
04-15-2020 09:07 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

The real question is what the P5 thinks about this. The NCAA can relax some requirements, but if the P5 opposes, that could lead to other moves.
04-15-2020 09:26 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I do think this just announced the G5 is for any revenue enhancers. You won't get any objections from them for an expansion to an 8 team playoff format. Still can't do it without P5, but there won't be any pushback.
04-15-2020 11:27 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(04-14-2020 10:54 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Wait a minute, i thought Aresco would be signing a letter with the other P6 commissioners. Wa happened?

Cincinnati cut men's soccer. UConn is leaving. Temple cut baseball and softball a few years earlier. They have a football-only member.

Yup, P6 worthy 07-coffee3
04-15-2020 11:32 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(04-15-2020 09:26 AM)bullet Wrote:  The real question is what the P5 thinks about this. The NCAA can relax some requirements, but if the P5 opposes, that could lead to other moves.

SEC is pissed they had to stop the baseball season. Even they will feel the squeeze if there's no football this upcoming school year. They'll be on board with relaxing requirements.
04-15-2020 11:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.