Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Couple Mistakenly Fined For Posting Old Vacation Photos Online…
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Couple Mistakenly Fined For Posting Old Vacation Photos Online…
Quote:Australian authorities thought they nabbed coronavirus lockdown violators — only to find out the photos posted on social media were a year old.

A South Australian couple was hit with a hefty fine from cops for nonessential travel amid the pandemic after the pair posted old vacation snaps on Facebook, according to a report.

Garry and Jaz Mott, from Victoria, were going through photos at home on April 5 when they decided to share pictures from a 2019 trip they took to a coastal town in eastern Victoria — prompting cops to show up at their door four days later, the Independent reported.

The husband and wife were fined the equivalent of $1,000 each by state police for “going for a drive to Lakes Entrance,” which was deemed a violation of the country’s strict lockdown.

The couple was warned that if they “posted any more photos,” they would “be arrested,” Jaz Mott told the publication.

The official violation was “failure to comply with a direction given to a person in the exercise of a power under an authorization given under section 199,” according to the outlet.

The police eventually owned up to the misunderstanding and revoked the fine.

“This incident has been reviewed and the decision has been made to withdraw the infringement notice,” a Victoria police spokesperson told the Independent.

“On occasion, errors will be made however that is why a review process exists to ensure instances such as these are identified and rectified.”

The fine-happy police also denied they were Facebook-stalking residents to find lockdown rule-breakers.

“Police are not specifically monitoring social media accounts to identify breaches of the Chief Health Officer directives,” said the spokesperson. “In general, police will follow up and investigate the circumstances surrounding individual potential breaches reported by the public.”

Link

Good thing the Aussies have stamped out all the other crime. I guess they’ll be cutting their police force since most seem to be nonessential.

[Image: 023bc32ecbb640748a050838c3d2b12e4bb11863...;amp;h=178]

I saw a cop show from Australia and the cops set up a roadside breath test checkpoint. (Apparently they can just do that for the hell of it.) What was shocking was how the public just accepts stuff like that. Completely warrantless, no probable cause, complete BS. They even thank the cops for the inconvenience. If the cops did that here I would be pissed.

04-14-2020 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Couple Mistakenly Fined For Posting Old Vacation Photos Online…
This tracking of citizens is frightening. Saw where in Tawain I think it was a student at a US university went home to Tawain. Authorities made him doa 14 day quarantine upone arrival. OK, not a big deal. However, authorities were tracking him via his cell phone. Cell phone battery died and in approximately 30 minutes, according to the student, authorities were at his door to see what is up. That is scary.
04-14-2020 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-14-2020 02:04 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
Quote:Australian authorities thought they nabbed coronavirus lockdown violators — only to find out the photos posted on social media were a year old.

A South Australian couple was hit with a hefty fine from cops for nonessential travel amid the pandemic after the pair posted old vacation snaps on Facebook, according to a report.

Garry and Jaz Mott, from Victoria, were going through photos at home on April 5 when they decided to share pictures from a 2019 trip they took to a coastal town in eastern Victoria — prompting cops to show up at their door four days later, the Independent reported.

The husband and wife were fined the equivalent of $1,000 each by state police for “going for a drive to Lakes Entrance,” which was deemed a violation of the country’s strict lockdown.

The couple was warned that if they “posted any more photos,” they would “be arrested,” Jaz Mott told the publication.

The official violation was “failure to comply with a direction given to a person in the exercise of a power under an authorization given under section 199,” according to the outlet.

The police eventually owned up to the misunderstanding and revoked the fine.

“This incident has been reviewed and the decision has been made to withdraw the infringement notice,” a Victoria police spokesperson told the Independent.

“On occasion, errors will be made however that is why a review process exists to ensure instances such as these are identified and rectified.”

The fine-happy police also denied they were Facebook-stalking residents to find lockdown rule-breakers.

“Police are not specifically monitoring social media accounts to identify breaches of the Chief Health Officer directives,” said the spokesperson. “In general, police will follow up and investigate the circumstances surrounding individual potential breaches reported by the public.”

Link

Good thing the Aussies have stamped out all the other crime. I guess they’ll be cutting their police force since most seem to be nonessential.

[Image: 023bc32ecbb640748a050838c3d2b12e4bb11863...;amp;h=178]

I saw a cop show from Australia and the cops set up a roadside breath test checkpoint. (Apparently they can just do that for the hell of it.) What was shocking was how the public just accepts stuff like that. Completely warrantless, no probable cause, complete BS. They even thank the cops for the inconvenience. If the cops did that here I would be pissed.

They do the same type of thing here. I've seen stops in Atlanta where they check everyone's license.
04-14-2020 02:38 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
That is totally phucked up.
04-14-2020 02:44 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Meanwhile in Memphis...

COVID-19 UPDATE FROM MAYOR STRICKLAND (3-31)

Quote:To report violations of the Safer at Home Executive Order, please call 311.
04-15-2020 11:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.