Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bob Stoops on coaching again: "Who knows"
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Bob Stoops on coaching again: "Who knows"
ESPN has a "Sliding Doors" type article on its site today, asking what would have happened if certain well-known coaches had or hadn't taken or been offered plum jobs in the past. Spurrier, Orgeron, Meyer, Miles, Beamer, and RichRod are all in there.

Here's the link: https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...-scenarios

Bob Stoops is in there as well, and the most interesting part of the whole article, for big name programs that might be looking to make a splash hire in the next year or so, is that Stoops leaves the door wide open to future opportunities:

Quote:So, yes, there is one more "what if" for Stoops, as in what if the right coaching situation presents itself in the next year or two?

"Who knows?" Stoops said. "What I'm doing right now fits my family and fits what I want to do. It's been enjoyable, and who knows what the good Lord is going to bring to you?

"Everyone wants you to define the rest of your life at every point in your life. You just can't do it."

Also, we found out today that Vince McMahon owes Stoops more than a million dollars.
04-13-2020 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TEXAS
RE: Bob Stoops on coaching again: "Who knows"
He's gonna replace Mullen
04-13-2020 06:41 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(04-13-2020 06:41 PM)Thiefery Wrote:  He's gonna replace Mullen
Nope. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Ohio State, Michigan, or Auburn, or Florida State, or Texas. He'll go somewhere that pays him 7 million a year or more and gives him a lot of control.
04-13-2020 09:32 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Brian Kelly retires in two years.
04-13-2020 10:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Like many big name coaches, he has a connection to the State of Ohio (from Youngstown) so Ohio St wouldn’t be a surprise. I don’t know that he coaches again but we’ll see.
04-13-2020 10:08 PM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(04-13-2020 09:32 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
Nope. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Ohio State, Michigan, or Auburn, or Florida State, or Texas. He'll go somewhere that pays him 7 million a year or more and gives him a lot of control.

He likes being out of the game. His father was a high school coach in Ohio who died on a sideline during a game at age 54. He's sensitive to that, and got out when the game ceased being fun. His wife was a director with Mary Kay, and stepped away from that a few years ago. His three kids are at OU. One is a backup walk-on WR that saw some playing time last year.

But, he was having a little fun coaching in the XFL. I'm not sure how that would translate into going back into big-time college football.

If a big-time school called, he'd listen, especially if it were Notre Dame. He's Catholic from Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio. It was a really big deal for him and his family when OU played at ND and won.

Bob was burned out and running on auto-pilot for about the last 10 years of his tenure at OU. The arrival of Lincoln Riley and Baker Mayfield was a godsend. He left the program in much better shape than he would have if those two hadn't come in. If he had continued to finish 9-3 and 10-2, he may not have been able to leave on his own terms.

I think Bob would accept the challenge at the right school. He's better known at OU for the three BCS championship games he lost than the NC that he won. He'd like to prove he can win another NC. I don't think he'd go to Texas, but he'd go to another high-level program.

Now if he insists on bringing his brother Mike with him...that might be a deal-breaker. 01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2020 10:22 PM by johnintx.)
04-13-2020 10:14 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-13-2020 10:14 PM)johnintx Wrote:  

He likes being out of the game. His father was a high school coach in Ohio who died on a sideline during a game at age 54. He's sensitive to that, and got out when the game ceased being fun. His wife was a director with Mary Kay, and stepped away from that a few years ago. His three kids are at OU. One is a backup walk-on WR that saw some playing time last year.

But, he was having a little fun coaching in the XFL. I'm not sure how that would translate into going back into big-time college football.

If a big-time school called, he'd listen, especially if it were Notre Dame. He's Catholic from Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio. It was a really big deal for him and his family when OU played there and won.

I think Bob would accept the challenge at the right school. He's better known at OU for the three BCS championship games he lost than the NC that he won. He'd like to prove he can win another NC. I don't think he'd go to Texas, but he'd go to another high-level program.

Now if he insists on bringing his brother Mike with him...that might be a deal-breaker. 01-wingedeagle

His dad died young of a heart attack and I think under the stress at OU that came to the forefront of his thoughts when he made the decision to step down spend time with the family and have some fun. But those who retire miss the game more often than not so I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a reprise.

Notre Dame would make some sense. So would F.S.U., or several others. I do think it would have to pay very well and have a real shot at a N.C.
04-13-2020 10:22 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

(04-13-2020 10:22 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

If a big-time school called, he'd listen, especially if it were Notre Dame. He's Catholic from Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio. It was a really big deal for him and his family when OU played there and won.

His dad died young of a heart attack and I think under the stress at OU that came to the forefront of his thoughts when he made the decision to step down spend time with the family and have some fun. But those who retire miss the game more often than not so I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a reprise.

Notre Dame would make some sense. So would F.S.U., or several others. I do think it would have to pay very well and have a real shot at a N.C.

I actually heard him connected with Auburn last year. I know you'd rather have him than Gus.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2020 10:25 PM by johnintx.)
04-13-2020 10:24 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-13-2020 10:24 PM)johnintx Wrote:  

I actually heard him connected with Auburn last year. I know you'd rather have him than Gus.

He's a much more polished head of the program than Gus and I think while Gus is brilliant in one area that Stoops is the better teacher. So yeah, there were talks. But I'm not sure Stoops would be interested in Auburn if he could be more high profile at Texas or Notre Dame. And just a wild 2 cents worth but who better to lead the Horns should they wind up in the SEC?
04-13-2020 10:27 PM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

(04-13-2020 10:27 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-13-2020 10:24 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(04-13-2020 09:32 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Nope. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Ohio State, Michigan, or Auburn, or Florida State, or Texas. He'll go somewhere that pays him 7 million a year or more and gives him a lot of control.

He's a much more polished head of the program than Gus and I think while Gus is brilliant in one area that Stoops is the better teacher. So yeah, there were talks. But I'm not sure Stoops would be interested in Auburn if he could be more high profile at Texas or Notre Dame. And just a wild 2 cents worth but who better to lead the Horns should they wind up in the SEC?

There's so much to being a big-time head coach. I don't think Bob ever got burned out on his players and coaches. It's the recruiting, donor relations, and being the overall face of the program that burned him out. Barry Switzer referred to the OU program as a "monster" that "needed to be fed". Bud Wilkinson created it, while Barry and Bob fed it. That's true at any big-time school. When going 11-1 or 12-2 every year is considered failure by the fan base, it will wear someone down fast.

Bob might consider Texas, but it's a stretch. The longer he is no longer the OU coach, the more he would consider it. But, yes, the stadium at UT is named for a Sooner.
04-13-2020 10:48 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

Stoops isn’t going to coach Texas. He’s not a slimeball, and it takes a slimeball like Rick Pitino to do something like that.
04-14-2020 01:38 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(04-13-2020 10:08 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Brian Kelly retires in two years.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!
04-14-2020 07:09 AM
Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TEXAS
No way in Hell that guy ever steps foot in Austin to be the HC of TEXAS. The admin side would never allow even an interview after the mixon mess he covered up. Besides when has Texas ever hired a coach that has already accomplished winning a MNC under them? Bob outside wearing that ou visor seems like a cool guy and all but the Politics won't allow him to coach at Texas.

Notre Dame sounds like it could work.. I do think he sees Mack at UNC having fun and breathing life into that football program, and maybe he wants to do that again. I don't agree that he has something to prove since he was like 1-4 in championship games, he can go to any program and have fun with it, if he chooses. Then set up another hot shot assistant with the keys to let them take it to the next level.
04-14-2020 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Is this serious?

I don't think there is any appetite to pay a HC 7 million right now at any school in the country.

A lot of top coaches I think will retire out shortly with the money tap turned off.
04-14-2020 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-14-2020 11:08 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

Is this serious?

I don't think there is any appetite to pay a HC 7 million right now at any school in the country.

A lot of top coaches I think will retire out shortly with the money tap turned off.

Grow up and read the revenue totals and look at what the top coaches are getting now. Seven million is ballpark for Stoops.
04-14-2020 11:35 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-14-2020 11:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Is this serious?

Grow up and read the revenue totals and look at what the top coaches are getting now. Seven million is ballpark for Stoops.

Here is another problem: The longer marquee coaches are retired the less intrinsic value they have. He's already been out 3 years. Make that 4 counting 2020.

Stoops in my estimation did a much better job at Oklahoma than what he's ever going to get credit for because it wasn't laced with a bunch of NCs like Saban and its Oklahoma an elite FB school. Unfairly Stoops will be painted as a guy who had all of the advantages.
04-15-2020 01:26 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-14-2020 11:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Is this serious?

Stoops will only go someplace that has the resources to easily afford paying a head coach that much or more.

Because he'd be 60 or so when starting a new job, he will also want a place where he can realistically be in the playoff in the first 4 years. Resurrecting a down program doesn't fit for him. (I.e., forget about Florida State.) Neither does a team that faces long odds against programs in the same league that are historically far better. If it's a team that has underperformed in recent years (e.g., USC or Texas) then he would go only if he looked at the roster they already have and concluded they already have nearly enough talent to win the conference. If it would take 3 or 4 years of excellent recruiting to have that much talent, then he will pass.
04-15-2020 01:29 AM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

(04-15-2020 01:26 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Stoops in my estimation did a much better job at Oklahoma than what he's ever going to get credit for because it wasn't laced with a bunch of NCs like Saban and its Oklahoma an elite FB school. Unfairly Stoops will be painted as a guy who had all of the advantages.

Oklahoma in 1999 (when Bob Stoops took the job) was a dumpster fire. The program was coming off four non-winning seasons. The athletic department was in debt. The fan base had almost given up on a return to national relevance. Oklahoma had none of the advantages in the beginning, but Bob Stoops quickly rebuilt the program into one of the elite. He took Oklahoma back to a place that I never thought we'd get back to.

Bob set the bar high with a NC in year 2. More NCs were expected after that, but didn't happen. Bob lost three BCS NC games. There are two other Oklahoma coaches who won three NCs each. Once he won his national championship, he was forced to live up to the standard of Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer.

Oklahoma wins a lot. Oklahoma wins so much, the fans remember the losses more than the wins. Right now, the fans only remember 4 consecutive losses in the CFP and 3 consecutive losses in BCS NCGs. So while Bob Stoops restored the program to greatness, he's remembered by many fans for the NC losses and saddling the program with a defensive coordinator that couldn't be fired (his brother), who became the scapegoat for three losses in the CFP.

Bob may want to go to another place and get a fresh start, or he may not. Either way, more power to him.

I think he ends up at Notre Dame. He may end up at Michigan if they pull the plug on Harbaugh. I can see him more at ND, though.
04-15-2020 01:11 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(04-15-2020 01:11 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(04-15-2020 01:26 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Stoops in my estimation did a much better job at Oklahoma than what he's ever going to get credit for because it wasn't laced with a bunch of NCs like Saban and its Oklahoma an elite FB school. Unfairly Stoops will be painted as a guy who had all of the advantages.

Oklahoma in 1999 (when Bob Stoops took the job) was a dumpster fire. The program was coming off four non-winning seasons. The athletic department was in debt. The fan base had almost given up on a return to national relevance. Oklahoma had none of the advantages in the beginning, but Bob Stoops quickly rebuilt the program into one of the elite. He took Oklahoma back to a place that I never thought we'd get back to.

Bob set the bar high with a NC in year 2. More NCs were expected after that, but didn't happen. Bob lost three BCS NC games. There are two other Oklahoma coaches who won three NCs each. Once he won his national championship, he was forced to live up to the standard of Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer.

Oklahoma wins a lot. Oklahoma wins so much, the fans remember the losses more than the wins. Right now, the fans only remember 4 consecutive losses in the CFP and 3 consecutive losses in BCS NCGs. So while Bob Stoops restored the program to greatness, he's remembered by many fans for the NC losses and saddling the program with a defensive coordinator that couldn't be fired (his brother), who became the scapegoat for three losses in the CFP.

Bob may want to go to another place and get a fresh start, or he may not. Either way, more power to him.

I think he ends up at Notre Dame. He may end up at Michigan if they pull the plug on Harbaugh. I can see him more at ND, though.

Bob is a Catholic I believe so that is a plus!
04-15-2020 01:17 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

Local article:

Oklahoma football: Bob Stoops enjoyed the XFL experience

Berry Tramel, lead columnist from The Oklahoman, doesn't think Bob will get back into college coaching. But, the itch is still there. He'll be 60 or 61 when he gets the opportunity if he takes it.
04-16-2020 01:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.