Bookmark and Share
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
2020 Football Season in question
This is a stunning article:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/unive...119092002/

Wetherbee:
“Not playing football,” he said, “would be devastating. It’s a huge driver for us. This past year, outside of NCAA distributions, all of our revenue is hinged on football. We worked hard to get close to $7 million in ticket sales and game guarantees, sponsorship rights and MAC distribution payout. You don’t play those games, all of that goes away.”
04-05-2020 06:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
RE: 2020 Football Season in question
Shocking.
04-05-2020 07:16 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
(04-05-2020 06:23 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  This is a stunning article:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/unive...119092002/

Wetherbee:
“Not playing football,” he said, “would be devastating. It’s a huge driver for us. This past year, outside of NCAA distributions, all of our revenue is hinged on football. We worked hard to get close to $7 million in ticket sales and game guarantees, sponsorship rights and MAC distribution payout. You don’t play those games, all of that goes away.”

I am sure that Bunsis and the rest of the faculty haters might just realize that $7M is a decent amount of money to say the least. Then again I remember over a year ago when Bunsis promised an analysis that would prove that eliminating sports would cost the University money. We, however, are still awaiting such a report. I suppose the saying "liars figure and figures lie" still could not hide the reality that cutting sports was the financially prudent thing to do. Howie could not parlay any rational financial analysis into another media exposure that he craves so deeply.

At the end of day I suspect if fall football is unavailable, the NCAA will take a page out of the XFL/AAF playbook and play the season in spring. There are far too much sunk costs (scholarships, etc...) and huge revenue losses (TV contracts) for them to wash out the entire season.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 07:23 PM by Jerry Weaver.)
04-05-2020 07:22 PM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

Agree. The benefit would be that we have the entire academic year to work with. Fall could be conditioning and summer practice with January being the first games.

Adjustment for all but by that time rapid testing and vaccine or medicine would be more available and proven. Normalcy is in sight.
04-08-2020 09:13 AM
DMSMITHSR Offline
Water Engineer

(04-08-2020 09:13 AM)JonesGoddard Wrote:  Agree. The benefit would be that we have the entire academic year to work with. Fall could be conditioning and summer practice with January being the first games.

Adjustment for all but by that time rapid testing and vaccine or medicine would be more available and proven. Normalcy is in sight.

Ugh, Jan-Mar will be terrible for football in Michigan.
04-08-2020 03:50 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(04-08-2020 03:50 PM)DMSMITHSR Wrote:  
(04-08-2020 09:13 AM)JonesGoddard Wrote:  Agree. The benefit would be that we have the entire academic year to work with. Fall could be conditioning and summer practice with January being the first games.

Ugh, Jan-Mar will be terrible for football in Michigan.

I really doubt Jan - March.

I could see a schedule like college baseball.
04-08-2020 03:57 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
MSU is proceeding with season ticket sales.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/stor...961421001/
04-08-2020 04:23 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(04-08-2020 04:23 PM)emu79 Wrote:  MSU is proceeding with season ticket sales.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/stor...961421001/

I really want to see MSU do well but this is an unabashed money grab from an athletic department that just seems out of depth in whatever they endeavor.
04-08-2020 05:24 PM
masttg Offline
1st String

I wonder if the season will be delayed? That would likely reduce OOC games—would the NCAA allow more bowl games?
04-08-2020 07:49 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(04-08-2020 07:49 PM)masttg Wrote:  I wonder if the season will be delayed? That would likely reduce OOC games—would the NCAA allow more bowl games?

I was wondering the same thing. If NCAA removed OOC games it would push our Sept 5th to an Oct 3rd start for games. Perhaps the extra month would be good? I know that the more time we have, the better in terms of learning more about the virus, etc.
04-09-2020 11:45 AM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

There is no way OOC games are canceled. If anything, it would just be OOC games. Imagine EMU with no Kentucky or Missouri money$$$? Literally can't function as an athletic department.

And, sure, baseball season is more like it but a quick turnaround for the next year. So, maybe games start in Mid-February?
04-09-2020 03:11 PM
Advertisement

Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

Adam Schefter posted this on twitter just an hour ago...

Quote:Speaking to people in and around college football this week, there is “strong conviction” there will be college football this season. Uncertainty about when - multiple scenarios being debated - but they sound certain there still will be college football this season.
04-09-2020 04:12 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(04-09-2020 04:12 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Adam Schefter posted this on twitter just an hour ago...

Quote:Speaking to people in and around college football this week, there is “strong conviction” there will be college football this season. Uncertainty about when - multiple scenarios being debated - but they sound certain there still will be college football this season.

That is great to hear. Sounds wild, but would they consider moving football to the Spring when a vaccine is likely available? Much stronger likelihood they would attract larger attendance if they did that.
04-10-2020 08:35 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-10-2020 08:35 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(04-09-2020 04:12 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Adam Schefter posted this on twitter just an hour ago...

That is great to hear. Sounds wild, but would they consider moving football to the Spring when a vaccine is likely available? Much stronger likelihood they would attract larger attendance if they did that.

Good questions, but I still maintain that NCAA will hold the status quo until they see what MLB, etc. do.

If MLB is playing in stadiums with fans by say July 1, and without any outbreaks, then I assume they'll go forward with the regular season.

Sounds dopey, but fans may need to wear those blue surgical masks.

My presumption is that social distancing will be over and things back to 'normal' with the caveats that masks are a good thing, more hand washing, etc.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2020 09:10 AM by emu steve.)
04-10-2020 09:06 AM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

I would wear a hazmat suit to watch the Eagles come out of that building in September and October.
04-10-2020 11:29 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(04-10-2020 09:06 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 08:35 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Good questions, but I still maintain that NCAA will hold the status quo until they see what MLB, etc. do.

If MLB is playing in stadiums with fans by say July 1, and without any outbreaks, then I assume they'll go forward with the regular season.

Sounds dopey, but fans may need to wear those blue surgical masks.

My presumption is that social distancing will be over and things back to 'normal' with the caveats that masks are a good thing, more hand washing, etc.

you really want fans to distance - bring back ron english
04-10-2020 03:16 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

Brian Williams asked Dr. Fauci about the country being able to have in person voting in November.

The Fauci quote included reference to degree of normalcy by November.
04-10-2020 05:08 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

I know there is talk about playing in empty stadiums, at least for awhile, but I wonder if another route they might go is limit ticket sales? I know (unfortunately) that isn't really an issue for us, but teams only sell half the tickets of capacity. For instance, Ford Field fits 60,000 some I believe, so maybe the Lions only sell 30,000 tickets for every game so people are more spread out?

Rynearson is around 30,000 I believe, so maybe Eastern would only be allowed to sell 10,000-15,000 a game.
04-11-2020 07:28 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-11-2020 07:28 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  I know there is talk about playing in empty stadiums, at least for awhile, but I wonder if another route they might go is limit ticket sales? I know (unfortunately) that isn't really an issue for us, but teams only sell half the tickets of capacity. For instance, Ford Field fits 60,000 some I believe, so maybe the Lions only sell 30,000 tickets for every game so people are more spread out?

Rynearson is around 30,000 I believe, so maybe Eastern would only be allowed to sell 10,000-15,000 a game.

Yep. We could spread folks out. For example, sell odd or even number seats only. Have empty rows in sections for those who wish more social distancing (e.g., elderly, immune compromised, etc.).

We could take temps too at the entrance gates. I'd be more worried about the coronavirus than some other type of threat.

Add a free face mask and we'd probably be okay.

Before my local gym had to close they simply closed off every other treadmill.

The biggest danger isn't fans, I think, but athletes. Athletes running, etc. do a lot of heavy breathing, spitting, etc. all of which is much different than someone sitting passively watching a game from their seats.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2020 07:43 AM by emu steve.)
04-11-2020 07:39 AM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

(04-11-2020 07:39 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(04-11-2020 07:28 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  I know there is talk about playing in empty stadiums, at least for awhile, but I wonder if another route they might go is limit ticket sales? I know (unfortunately) that isn't really an issue for us, but teams only sell half the tickets of capacity. For instance, Ford Field fits 60,000 some I believe, so maybe the Lions only sell 30,000 tickets for every game so people are more spread out?

Yep. We could spread folks out. For example, sell odd or even number seats only.

Add a free face mask and we'd probably be okay.

The biggest danger isn't fans, I think, but athletes. Athletes running, etc. do a lot of heavy breathing, spitting, etc. all of which is much different than someone sitting passively watching a game from their seats.

I think you're exactly right on that. That is one reason I think baseball could be back this summer since it is a sport you don't really have to be all that close to your opponent. With football and basketball that is a different story...
04-11-2020 07:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.