Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: At What Age Did You Start To Feel Old
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
OT: At What Age Did You Start To Feel Old
There’s not a lot of sports to talk about so I figured I’d start a thread I saw on another site.

I can remember being around 34-35years old and going to buy a gift card at a restaurant. I never had a problem attracting the opposite sex, and a young girl who was likely a college student was working at the register. As I purchased the card she said to me “Hey, if you have any kids in college this would be a good idea for a gift basket.”

Ouch!

Anyone have any similar stories, or maybe your story is about how your body has changed. I am 47, and as I grow out my Corona beard I have noticed how much grayer it is than it was just 5 years ago.

04-05-2020 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: OT: At What Age Did You Start To Feel Old
I don't really feel old, per se. What really is the problem is when you realize that you're no longer cool.

That for me began when my kids got old enough to determine on their own and then remind me that I was not cool.

It's just a right of passage, I guess. At some point in your life you have to realize that, as Chris Rock puts it, you're the guy that's just a little too old to be in the club.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 09:11 AM by Bear Catlett.)
04-05-2020 09:09 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
49...I’m 49 now. Knees and shoulders must have had a 48 year warranty. Lol

Doesn’t help that I decided to grow a beard until I’m allowed to go order a Manhattan in a restaurant and it’s coming in much more white than it did 5 years ago.

04-05-2020 09:12 AM
Teakwood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: All Bearcats
I don't know of that i can put a number to it. I started shaving my head and showing some grey pretty young, so I never, personally, made that correlation. I work out and stay relatively healthy. I'm still 28 in my head, but I do get some creaks here and there and don't recover like I used to. For me its the pop culture things. I enjoy music and movies and some TV. Hearing music that still feels fresh on an adult contemporary station or in an elevator really hits me. I'm in my mid-forties and hearing Green Day in an elevator or realizing its been 23 years since Biggie was killed makes me feel old.

Also Hoosiers was made about a team 32 years in the past. That film felt 'old timey' to me, but that would be the equivalent of a movie today about Danny Mannings Jayhawk championship.

04-05-2020 09:39 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-05-2020 09:39 AM)Teakwood Wrote:  I don't know of that i can put a number to it. I started shaving my head and showing some grey pretty young, so I never, personally, made that correlation. I work out and stay relatively healthy. I'm still 28 in my head, but I do get some creaks here and there and don't recover like I used to. For me its the pop culture things. I enjoy music and movies and some TV. Hearing music that still feels fresh on an adult contemporary station or in an elevator really hits me. I'm in my mid-forties and hearing Green Day in an elevator or realizing its been 23 years since Biggie was killed makes me feel old.

Also Hoosiers was made about a team 32 years in the past. That film felt 'old timey' to me, but that would be the equivalent of a movie today about Danny Mannings Jayhawk championship.

Lol I think about what you are saying all the time. Was listening to an 80s station yesterday and Journey’s “Open Arms” came on. That song came out in 1982. That would be equivalent to my parents listening to music from the 1940s when I was a teen in the 1980s. My parents listened to stuff from the 1960s and early 70s. My grandparents listened to some of that 40s stuff.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 09:50 AM by CliftonAve.)
04-05-2020 09:47 AM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
There are different kinds of "old," and some of us age more gracefully than others. DNA and the environments we create for ourselves are deterministic. If you feel old and creaky at 50, then you probably are. If you're still eager to participate and engage and grow and accept new physical and mental challenges, then you probably aren't. At 78, I don't feel old.

04-05-2020 10:01 AM
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
A couple of years ago we had a parents vs. kid soccer match at the end of the season. I run on average a mile to 2 miles everyday and stay in decent shape, so I went into it thinking I was going to physically dominate these 6th graders.

Within the first 5 minutes of the game I must have pulled a hammy but I played through it. I realized quickly that distance running shape is not the same as the stop start stuff you have to do in a soccer game. Afterwards my body was wrecked for like 2 weeks. This was stuff I could have done in high school for hours on end.

My buddy once told me that the mind still thinks it can, but the body just can’t.

04-05-2020 10:05 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
At 70 I felt it and soon to be 77.

That said I feel blessed. I run my high school class reunion every five years. I am amazed by the number that are dead and the number that come with canes, walkers and in wheel chairs. We hold it now day time because some fear night driving,

I still walk 6 miles a day and jog some. Only have a little gray and 90% of my hair. That said it is not fun but it beats the alternative.

04-05-2020 10:31 AM
Sweetness Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
A lot of people on here still make me feel young lol

04-05-2020 10:33 AM
Nobones Offline
1st String

I started going gray in my late 20's so when I got married and we finally was able to adopt a child I was completely gray. So when some asked us about our grandson I feel a little old. He 10 now and I am 53 so now he makes me feel old. LOL

04-05-2020 10:43 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
I played in a Mens over 30 church basketball league this year, and I showed up to the first game and saw a bunch of old guys with knee braces thinking who are all these old farts, then realized I am now one of them.

04-05-2020 10:50 AM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

(04-05-2020 10:05 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  A couple of years ago we had a parents vs. kid soccer match at the end of the season. I run on average a mile to 2 miles everyday and stay in decent shape, so I went into it thinking I was going to physically dominate these 6th graders.

Within the first 5 minutes of the game I must have pulled a hammy but I played through it. I realized quickly that distance running shape is not the same as the stop start stuff you have to do in a soccer game. Afterwards my body was wrecked for like 2 weeks. This was stuff I could have done in high school for hours on end.

My buddy once told me that the mind still thinks it can, but the body just can’t.

Luckily my son's better-than-you-would-think-for-7th-graders team was able to get their entire season in before the apocalypse struck. At their post season party they held a players v. dads game.

I also thought that we would win. Wrong.

While I didn't embarrass myself physically like pulling up lame or collapsing, it was very apparent that I'm not the man I used to be.

I broke out for a fast break. The guy who passed the ball my way led me a little so I could just get it in stride for a layup. As I was running as fast as I could yet not seemingly catching up to the ball, a kid just blows right past me and takes the ball.

While I did OK during the game, the next day was... not OK.

PS - In the interest of full disclosure, while it is true that I didn't embarrass myself in a physical sense, I did shoot one into the side of the backboard.

04-05-2020 10:58 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
I turn 36 next week. Not really there yet though wife always tells me I'm not young anymore. Still playing pickup basketball regularly. Not as consistently lethal as when I played 4-6 times a week in college but feel good about the level I'm at. Hope I can keep it going for a while. I'm sure they'll be a day when i feel different after playing.

04-05-2020 11:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
^^^^
36 years man. To be 36 again! I'm over 50 but still in pretty good shape overall. I've been blessed with good genes and still haven't had any surgery outside of a vasectomy years ago LOL. I try to stay active to include walking in my neighborhood or on my treadmill. Don't really do any weight training anymore but I'm considering doing some plank exercises to work on my growing midsection. What I have noticed in terms of my older age is I pee more frequently and it takes a little more time to shake out the excess if you know what I mean LOL. I also need to watch getting more fiber in my diet as the sit down time can be more of an effort. Honestly, what makes me feel old is seeing my kids [teens] getting older.

04-05-2020 11:31 AM
beethovan Offline
Water Engineer

(04-05-2020 10:01 AM)colohank Wrote:  There are different kinds of "old," and some of us age more gracefully than others. DNA and the environments we create for ourselves are deterministic. If you feel old and creaky at 50, then you probably are. If you're still eager to participate and engage and grow and accept new physical and mental challenges, then you probably aren't. At 78, I don't feel old.

Felt the same until the middle of last year after turning 82 earlier in the year, now even the 30 minute walks around the subdivision are at a snail's pace. Mentally I think I'm still at UC, but when I mention it my wife just looks at me really funny!

04-05-2020 11:44 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I am 55, and have arthritis in the left knee and right shoulder. Torn rotator in that shoulder also.

I do physical therapy based exercises for both. I do core based exercises with he Swiss ball. Sometimes I run, but cannot all the time, because I am also prone to plantar fasciitis. Walking is typically fine. Can do that for several miles (sometimes 10 in a day, if I have enough time). If the Y wasn't closed now, I would be on the stair master 2-3 times a week.

Simple dietary lifestyle. Eggs infused with spinach, shrooms, onions and peppers, and a bowl of berries for breakfast. Boneless/skinless chicken with some form of green veggie (either power greens or brussels sprouts) for lunch/dinner. Often, Salmon is in that mix. Snacks include almonds, raw broccoli, and Kirkland steak strips (an awesome jerky from Costco).

I am 6-4 and my weight is at about 195, so, although old, I'm doing OK.

04-05-2020 12:08 PM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

Happened this year...

I had a student in my Statics class up at UT ask me when I graduated from high school. When they responded with "Man, professor, we weren't even born yet!" I knew what my parents felt all those years ago and what every person feels at one time or another...******* I'm old 03-lmfao. I'll still never know how my mom felt this fall when, in her parent-teacher conferences for her middle school English class, a parent and grandparent walked in and were so happy to see their former teacher...

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 12:20 PM by BearcatMan.)
04-05-2020 12:19 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I'm 34, but I feel like I'm 23. That said, I am overweight and working to correct that. That, and a decent mix of gray hair, are the only two things that ever make me "feel" old. No hair loss thankfully, and probably won't experience it until much later in life, as I seem to take after my grandfather there. But my wife and I aren't having kids and prior to the coronavirus stuff, I still spent my weekends hanging out with friends. I don't drink as much or as often as I used to because I know it will eventually catch up to me health-wise, but I like to have fun. I don't think this applies to most people on this board, but I find it very depressing how many people I grew up with seem miserable. There are people I graduated high school with who look/act much older than they are.

04-05-2020 12:23 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(04-05-2020 11:05 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I turn 36 next week. Not really there yet though wife always tells me I'm not young anymore. Still playing pickup basketball regularly. Not as consistently lethal as when I played 4-6 times a week in college but feel good about the level I'm at. Hope I can keep it going for a while. I'm sure they'll be a day when i feel different after playing.

You kids with your music and clothes...

04-05-2020 12:29 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I am 54, but didn't really feel old until I had open heart surgery last fall. Had a pacemaker put in the Thursday morning of the UCLA game but they couldn't get me to wake up until 24 hours later (never did see the UCLA game).

I think I aged 20 years in the nine days I was in the hospital. Slowly getting younger again as I get back in shape.

04-05-2020 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.