Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If 2020 Has No NCAA Football Let's Declare All TV Contracts and GOR's Null & Void
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
If 2020 Has No NCAA Football Let's Declare All TV Contracts and GOR's Null & Void
And let's get realignment over with once and for all.

We should decide if we want 3 conferences of 20 or 24, or 4 conferences of 16 or even 18, organize it geographically as much as is practical and utilize divisions as mini geographically oriented conferences.

If we wanted balanced competition then 3 conferences of 20, or even 24, would probably be the best bet.

If we want regionality then maybe we stick with 4.

But let's assume that with no football in 2020 we use this time more constructively and declare all GOR's to be null and void due to the brief breach contractually. Then let's see where the chips fall!

Since there is absofrigginlutely nothing going on, I want the posters to pick just 1 format (meaning number of conferences and schools in them) and present your best case for how football should look in 2021 in the Fall when hopefully we kick back off. I want no fewer than 60 schools total in your format and no more than 72 schools.

Those who conform to the criteria will be judged by me as to academic, cultural, and regional fit within the conferences and divisions, and I will pick the best 5 entries in my opinion, and in May the board will vote on them.

The winner will get 3 rep points, second will get 2, and third will get 1.

Simply lay out the format you choose and then explain why you placed the schools where you did.

Conversation about the entries will be expected, but anyone saying "That will never happen" will have their post or posts deleted.

Entries that violate what I asked for above may also be subject to deletion. Let's pretend that you are the TV networks and commissioners, and presidents, and AD's, and look at your arrangement and explain it from what you think their perspectives would be.

Well those are the rules. Be serious, but have fun.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020 11:55 PM by JRsec.)
04-04-2020 11:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: If 2020 Has No NCAA Football Let's Declare All TV Contracts and GOR's Null & Void
72 Team Version:

Big Ten East: Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, Syracuse, Rutgers, Connecticut, Boston College, Maryland, West Virginia
Big Ten Central: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern

ACC North: Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, Kentucky, Louisville, Cincinnati
ACC South: Florida, Florida State, Miami, Central Florida, South Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Clemson

SEC East: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas
SEC West: Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, SMU, Houston, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Pac 12 West: UCLA, USC, Stanford, California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, Boise State
Pac 12 Central: Utah, BYU, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota
04-05-2020 06:27 AM
texoma Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Collegefootball
RE: If 2020 Has No NCAA Football Let's Declare All TV Contracts and GOR's Null & Void
Schmolik, good start. However, I think Kansas State, Oregon State and Washington State have better programs than some of the G5 schools you included such as Temple and Connecticut. Also, I doubt the the PAC schools will accept Boise's academics and I have serious doubts about Boise sustaining their program playing quality competition.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 10:03 AM by texoma.)
04-05-2020 09:56 AM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
This is hard. It's hard to think like both a university president and a TV executive at the same time.

B1G: It's easy to see a scenario with no changes. There are very few schools they would like to invite to their club. They won't invite Oklahoma (academics). Texas will turn them down. But, they could make a play for the east, which they pull off with North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, and Georgia Tech. None of these schools threaten the established football powers. UNC, Duke, and Virginia have won men's basketball titles in recent years. Georgia Tech is in Atlanta, giving the B1G a toehold in SEC territory. This would be a good football conference and a killer basketball conference.

East: Maryland, Penn State, Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Ohio State, Michigan State, Rutgers
West: Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan
(Split of the 9-9 arrangement is in the state of Michigan. UM and MSU play as permanent rivals. Michigan goes west for competitive balance. A 6-6-6 split puts Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan in the same small division, unless Penn State and Rutgers are flipped.)

ACC: ACC remains together in spite of losing their core of Duke, UNC, UVa, plus Georgia Tech. They are able to backfill with West Virginia (political opposition has moved to B1G), UCF, USF, and Cincinnati. Notre Dame remains here in all non-FB sports, and retains its scheduling agreement. The base of power moves from North Carolina to Florida. The zipper arrangement remains, but is rearranged (cross-division rivals are in order):
Atlantic: Miami, UCF, Clemson, Wake Forest, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse
Coastal: Florida State, USF, NC State, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Boston College

SEC: SEC makes a play for Texas by inviting Oklahoma first. Texas turns the SEC down. Kansas is invited in their place over Oklahoma State (new market, weak football, very strong basketball). Alabama and Auburn move to the East. 7 of the core 10 SEC schools end up in the East.
East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn
West: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas

Pac Southwest (or something): Texas turns down both the B1G and SEC to partner with the Pac-12, but is allowed to bring several friends. The existing Pac 12 stays intact. Texas brings Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Iowa State with them. Baylor is the odd man out, as they are at once too Christian and too scandalous at the same time for the new West Coast partners. TCU is secular enough for the West Coast schools, and is chosen over Houston due to its better relationship with UT. (Texas is still calling the shots. Houston is otherwise qualified) Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State are brought along as land-grant state universities and business partners of Texas. Texas only has 2 other Texas schools in this lineup, but has a block of 6 votes in conference matters under this arrangement.

East: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Iowa State
South: Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, USC, UCLA
North: Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Cal

These incarnations of the ACC and the Pac Plains Conference will not generate the same media $$ as the SEC and B1G, but will be competitive enough.

Just a guess. This isn't what will happen.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 03:59 PM by johnintx.)
04-05-2020 03:26 PM
schmolik Offline

(04-05-2020 03:26 PM)johnintx Wrote:  This is hard. It's hard to think like both a university president and a TV executive at the same time.

B1G: It's easy to see a scenario with no changes. There are very few schools they would like to invite to their club. They won't invite Oklahoma (academics). Texas will turn them down. But, they could make a play for the east, which they pull off with North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, and Georgia Tech. None of these schools threaten the established football powers. UNC, Duke, and Virginia have won men's basketball titles in recent years. Georgia Tech is in Atlanta, giving the B1G a toehold in SEC territory.

East: Maryland, Penn State, Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Ohio State, Michigan State, Rutgers
West: Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan
(Split is in the state of Michigan. UM and MSU play as permanent rivals. Michigan goes west for competitive balance)

ACC: ACC remains together in spite of losing their core of Duke, UNC, UVa, plus Georgia Tech. They are able to backfill with West Virginia (political opposition has moved to B1G), UCF, USF, and Cincinnati. Notre Dame remains here in all non-FB sports, and retains its scheduling agreement. The zipper arrangement remains, but is rearranged:
Coastal: Florida State, USF, NC State, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Boston College

SEC: SEC makes a play for Texas by inviting Oklahoma first. Texas turns the SEC down. Kansas is invited in their place over Oklahoma State (new market, weak football, very strong basketball). Alabama and Auburn move to the East. 7 of the core 10 SEC schools end up in the East.
East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn
West: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas

Pac Southwest (or something): Texas turns down both the B1G and SEC to partner with the Pac-12, but is allowed to bring several friends. The existing Pac 12 stays intact. Texas brings Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Iowa State with them. Baylor is the odd man out, as they are at once too Christian and too scandalous at the same time for the new West Coast partners. TCU is secular enough for the West Coast schools, and is chosen over Houston due to its better relationship with UT. (Houston is otherwise qualified) Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State are brought along as land-grant state universities and business partners of Texas.

These incarnations of the ACC and the Pac Plains Conference will not generate the same media $$ as the SEC and B1G, but will be competitive enough.

I like it. I'm always fighting for my Philly boys (Temple) and UConn. If the ACC has only 14 vs. 16 for the SEC and 18 for the Big 10 and Pac Plains, they might as well take them to get to 16. That's why I kept them in my plan and left out other P5's.
04-05-2020 03:34 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

(04-05-2020 03:34 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(04-05-2020 03:26 PM)johnintx Wrote:  This is hard. It's hard to think like both a university president and a TV executive at the same time.

B1G: It's easy to see a scenario with no changes. There are very few schools they would like to invite to their club. They won't invite Oklahoma (academics). Texas will turn them down. But, they could make a play for the east, which they pull off with North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, and Georgia Tech. None of these schools threaten the established football powers. UNC, Duke, and Virginia have won men's basketball titles in recent years. Georgia Tech is in Atlanta, giving the B1G a toehold in SEC territory.

(Split is in the state of Michigan. UM and MSU play as permanent rivals. Michigan goes west for competitive balance)

ACC: ACC remains together in spite of losing their core of Duke, UNC, UVa, plus Georgia Tech. They are able to backfill with West Virginia (political opposition has moved to B1G), UCF, USF, and Cincinnati. Notre Dame remains here in all non-FB sports, and retains its scheduling agreement. The zipper arrangement remains, but is rearranged:

Pac Southwest (or something): Texas turns down both the B1G and SEC to partner with the Pac-12, but is allowed to bring several friends. The existing Pac 12 stays intact. Texas brings Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Iowa State with them. Baylor is the odd man out, as they are at once too Christian and too scandalous at the same time for the new West Coast partners. TCU is secular enough for the West Coast schools, and is chosen over Houston due to its better relationship with UT. (Houston is otherwise qualified) Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State are brought along as land-grant state universities and business partners of Texas.

I like it. I'm always fighting for my Philly boys (Temple) and UConn. If the ACC has only 14 vs. 16 for the SEC and 18 for the Big 10 and Pac Plains, they might as well take them to get to 16. That's why I kept them in my plan and left out other P5's.

UConn was the last team out on my spreadsheet. This would be their last chance at big-time football. I wouldn't have an issue with either of them getting into this ACC. It's all about the networks.

I edited my post. I meant to say the balance of power in the ACC moved to Florida, not the B1G. :-)
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 04:00 PM by johnintx.)
04-05-2020 03:56 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-05-2020 03:56 PM)johnintx Wrote:  

UConn was the last team out on my spreadsheet. This would be their last chance at big-time football. I wouldn't have an issue with either of them getting into this ACC. It's all about the networks.

I edited my post. I meant to say the balance of power in the ACC moved to Florida, not the B1G. :-)

UConn would not make the cut in that hypothetical. The only schools that were interested in UConn the last go round (Duke, UNC, and UVA) would be gone, leaving the schools most vocal about their exclusion. I also doubt FSU and Miami would bring in UCF/USF as well to protect their territory.

The PAC12 would never include Texas Christian (TCU) for political/religious reasons, along with KState and Okie State for cultural reasons.
04-05-2020 04:09 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(04-05-2020 03:26 PM)johnintx Wrote:  ACC: ACC remains together in spite of losing their core of Duke, UNC, UVa, plus Georgia Tech. They are able to backfill with West Virginia (political opposition has moved to B1G), UCF, USF, and Cincinnati. Notre Dame remains here in all non-FB sports, and retains its scheduling agreement. The base of power moves from North Carolina to Florida. The zipper arrangement remains, but is rearranged (cross-division rivals are in order):

Cincy and WVU do seem like obvious backfill targets, but I'm not sure that the ACC would add the U_F twins as long as both FSU and Miami are still around. Additionally, your alignment prevents annual play between Clemson and Florida State, as well as between NC State and Wake Forest. I'm thinking the changes would be more conservative, with BC and Syracuse flipping to the depleted Coastal, joining with WVU to create a division containing 6 of the original 8 Big East football schools.

Atlantic/Coastal
Cincinnati/Pittsburgh
Clemson/Virginia Tech
Florida State/Miami-FL
Louisville/West Virginia
NC State/Boston College
Wake Forest/Syracuse
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 04:19 PM by Nerdlinger.)
04-05-2020 04:17 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

(04-05-2020 04:17 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(04-05-2020 03:26 PM)johnintx Wrote:  ACC: ACC remains together in spite of losing their core of Duke, UNC, UVa, plus Georgia Tech. They are able to backfill with West Virginia (political opposition has moved to B1G), UCF, USF, and Cincinnati. Notre Dame remains here in all non-FB sports, and retains its scheduling agreement. The base of power moves from North Carolina to Florida. The zipper arrangement remains, but is rearranged (cross-division rivals are in order):

Cincy and WVU do seem like obvious backfill targets, but I'm not sure that the ACC would add the U_F twins as long as both FSU and Miami are still around. Additionally, your alignment prevents annual play between Clemson and Florida State, as well as between NC State and Wake Forest. I'm thinking the changes would be more conservative, with BC and Syracuse flipping to the Coastal, joining with WVU to create a division with a lineup containing 6 of the original 8 Big East football schools.

Atlantic/Coastal
Cincinnati/Pittsburgh
Clemson/Virginia Tech
Florida State/Miami-FL
Louisville/West Virginia
NC State/Boston College
Wake Forest/Syracuse

Since they're not geographic, the divisions are negotiable as long as rivals get to play. I agree, Clemson and Florida State do need to play, if for no other reason than value of the TV contract. And, in your arrangement, Cincinnati/Louisville and Pitt/West Virginia are in the same division, which is good.

In this ACC, only Clemson, NC State, Wake Forest, and Florida State were never part of the Big East.
04-05-2020 04:23 PM
schmolik Offline

(04-05-2020 04:09 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

UConn would not make the cut in that hypothetical. The only schools that were interested in UConn the last go round (Duke, UNC, and UVA) would be gone, leaving the schools most vocal about their exclusion. I also doubt FSU and Miami would bring in UCF/USF as well to protect their territory.

The PAC12 would never include Texas Christian (TCU) for political/religious reasons, along with KState and Okie State for cultural reasons.

The more you say this conference won't take this team and this conference won't take this team eventually you won't have anyone new in these conferences. If the ACC won't have UConn or the Florida schools, what does that leave? 13 football members? If you leave Temple out, they have 12 vs. the Big Ten's 18 and the SEC's 16. I didn't really want West Virginia in my Big Ten but I wanted to keep the conferences even so I relented.
04-05-2020 04:31 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

TCU is, in my opinion, "secular enough" for university presidents on the West coast. They have a loose relationship with the Disciples of Christ denomination, but do not require chapel for their students, and do not require a Bible class for their students. On their website, they downplay their affiliation except as a part of their history. TCU primarily markets itself as "TCU" and not as "Texas Christian". It functions as a secular university, basically as the "University of Fort Worth". In some circles, they have the reputation as "Christian in name only". There is a divinity school on their campus that is governed by a separate administration and board. Brite Divinity School describes itself as "progressive". Baylor, on the other hand, requires chapel for freshmen, requires one Bible class in the student's freshman year, and directly controls a seminary on campus.

I added UCF and USF to my ACC because I would expect a network to ask for it. FSU and Miami might not like it, but I went ahead and added them.
04-05-2020 04:55 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-05-2020 04:31 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(04-05-2020 04:09 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

The more you say this conference won't take this team and this conference won't take this team eventually you won't have anyone new in these conferences. If the ACC won't have UConn or the Florida schools, what does that leave? 13 football members? If you leave Temple out, they have 12 vs. the Big Ten's 18 and the SEC's 16. I didn't really want West Virginia in my Big Ten but I wanted to keep the conferences even so I relented.

Hence why we have not had any additions in real life...
04-05-2020 05:32 PM
texoma Offline
2nd String

Here are my four, 18 team conference proposals. Includes all P5 teams and six top G5 teams:

Big10 adds------Pittsburg, Syracuse, Boston College and Notre Dame.
SEC adds--------Oklahoma, Kansas, West Virginia and Virginia Tech.
ACC adds--------Cincinnati, Memphis, TCU, Baylor, SMU, UCF, USF & UConn.
PAC/Big12-------PAC schools merge with Texas, Texas Tech, Houston, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Iowa State.

My reasoning follows:

The Big10 adds to its East strength with good academic schools and Notre Dame football. Satisfies academics and athletics. Culture and geographic fit.

The SEC gets both football and basketball blue bloods. Adds four new states. Solidifies the DFW market with OU. Kansas and Missouri are reunited. Satisfies academic and athletics. Culture and geographical fit.

The ACC gets into the Texas markets for football and gets good Basketball schools in Memphis, Cincy and UConn. Plus increasing its Florida base. Baylor, TCU and SMU for academics. Louisville is no longer on an island. Satisfies academic and athletics. Culture about the same as the current ACC. Geographic's not ideal, but acceptable with divisions.

PAC merges with Big12 schools. PAC schools get into the badly needed Texas market. Remaining Big12 schools find a home. Academics and athletics vary, but not a lot different than the current PAC. Culture and geographic's acceptable with divisions.

In summary, Big 10 gets Notre Dame, SEC gets Oklahoma and PAC gets Texas. Good balance of the Big three. Importantly, Texas retains power in a conference, that it would not have in the Big10 or the SEC. Conferences form three divisions with 6 teams each.

Big10 conference divisions:

Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, B.C, Rutgers and Notre Dame.
OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, Indiana and Purdue.
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois and Northwestern.

SEC conference divisions:

Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia Tech and West Virginia.
Alabama, Auburn, Miss, Miss State, Tennessee and Vandy.
Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas A&M and LSU.

ACC conference divisions:

North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Georgia Tech, UConn and UCF.
Florida State, Miami, USF, Clemson, North Carolina State and Wake Forrest.
Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, Baylor, SMU and TCU.

PAC/Big12 conference divisions:

SC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado.
California, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State.
Texas, Texas Tech, Houston, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Iowa State.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2020 03:36 PM by texoma.)
04-05-2020 05:53 PM
schmolik Offline

(04-05-2020 05:53 PM)texoma Wrote:  Here are my 18 team conference proposals:

Big10 adds: Pittsburg, Syracuse, Boston College and Notre Dame.

SEC adds: Oklahoma, Kansas, West Virginia and Miami.

ACC adds: TCU, Baylor, SMU, Memphis, Cincy, UCF, USF & UConn.

PAC 12 schools merge with: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Iowa State and Houston.

My reasoning follows:

The Big10 adds to its East strength with good academic schools and Notre Dame. Satisfies academicss and athletics.

The SEC gets both football and basketball blue bloods and South Florida. Satisfies academic and athletics.

The ACC gets into the Texas markets for football and gets good Basketball schools in Memphis, Cincy and UConn. Plus increasing its Florida base. Satisfies academic and athletics.

PAC merges with Big12 schools. ( I view it as a merger, because of Texas and and the LHN.) PAC schools get into the badly needed Texas market. Remaining Big12 schools find a home. Some of the PAC schools may not like the academics, but they do not have a lot of choices.

I like the Big Ten adds and UConn in the ACC. I'd prefer Texas and Oklahoma in the same conference. I hate teams west of the Mississippi in the ACC. I like Oklahoma in the SEC and can see Texas passing on the SEC but I can't see West Virginia and Miami getting in over a ton of other ACC schools.
04-05-2020 06:28 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability

B1G: It's easy to see a scenario with no changes. There are very few schools they would like to invite to their club. They won't invite Oklahoma (academics). Texas will turn them down. But, they could make a play for the east, which they pull off with North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, and Georgia Tech. None of these schools threaten the established football powers. UNC, Duke, and Virginia have won men's basketball titles in recent years. Georgia Tech is in Atlanta, giving the B1G a toehold in SEC territory. This would be a good football conference and a killer basketball conference.

(Split of the 9-9 arrangement is in the state of Michigan. UM and MSU play as permanent rivals. Michigan goes west for competitive balance. A 6-6-6 split puts Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan in the same small division, unless Penn State and Rutgers are flipped.)

ACC: ACC remains together in spite of losing their core of Duke, UNC, UVa, plus Georgia Tech. They are able to backfill with West Virginia (political opposition has moved to B1G), UCF, USF, and Cincinnati. Notre Dame remains here in all non-FB sports, and retains its scheduling agreement. The base of power moves from North Carolina to Florida. The zipper arrangement remains, but is rearranged (cross-division rivals are in order):

Pac Southwest (or something): Texas turns down both the B1G and SEC to partner with the Pac-12, but is allowed to bring several friends. The existing Pac 12 stays intact. Texas brings Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Iowa State with them. Baylor is the odd man out, as they are at once too Christian and too scandalous at the same time for the new West Coast partners. TCU is secular enough for the West Coast schools, and is chosen over Houston due to its better relationship with UT. (Texas is still calling the shots. Houston is otherwise qualified) Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State are brought along as land-grant state universities and business partners of Texas. Texas only has 2 other Texas schools in this lineup, but has a block of 6 votes in conference matters under this arrangement.

It's possible that should the ACC lose its academic core that the likes of Florida State and Clemson would contact the SEC rather than sharing the conference with UCF and USF. Should the SEC accept then the SEC would also go east and Oklahoma/Kansas would then either head west with UT or stay put in the current Big 12. If that's the case then TCU is left out of the PAC. How would Notre Dame react then may become a close watch. Would they accept switching out FSU and Clemson for UCF and USF? Also, as the ACC becomes more like the former Big East I could also see VT and NCSU talking to the SEC.

But I understand you gave your reasoning for coming up with the lineup.

Here's how I would chart out your Big Ten lineup:

Division 1: Penn State, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State

Division 2: Rutgers, Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota

Reasons:

I think they'd rather keep the Land Grant Trophy as an annual game. The western teams would easily trade off Indiana/Purdue for annuals with Ohio State and Michigan and all of them would have at least one trip to Ohio or New Jersey every year. With no risk of repeating The Game the other risk is replaying the Paul Bunyon trophy but I think it's a risk they'd accept.
04-05-2020 07:07 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
ACC North - BC, Syracuse, Penn State, Pitt, ND, MD
ACC Central - VT, UVa, NCSU, UNC, Duke, WF
ACC South - GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Tulane, TCU

Prize - Penn State
Dog - Tulane

SEC West - Oklahoma, OSU, TAMU, Ole Miss, MSU
SEC Central - Kansas, Mizzou, Arkansas, Bama, TN, Auburn
SEC East - West Va., Vandy, UK, SC, UGa, Florida

Prize - Oklahoma
Dog - Oklahoma State

P15 East - Texas, TT, Rice, Arizona, ASU
P15 West - USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Colorado
P15 North - Washington, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Utah

Prize - Texas
Dog - Rice

Big 10 East - UConn, Rutgers, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue
Big 10 Central - Michigan, MSU, NW, Illinois, Cincy
Big 10 West - Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado State

Prize - None
Dog - ?

This format makes a 16 team playoff easy for 66 schools. It punitive toward the B10 and good for the P12 and ACC. It's also predicated on not being able to break the core of the ACC, B10, SEC, and P12. The B12 has no "core" of schools so to speak. So I started with four cores of Michigan/MSU/Wisky/Iowa/Ohio State and UNC/UVa/VT/NCSU/Duke/WF and Bama/Tennessee/LSU/Georgia/Auburn/Florida and UCLA/Cal/Stanford/USC.

SOL - USF, Iowa State, K-State, Baylor, BYU, Boise, Temple, Houston, ECU, Navy, Army, Air Force
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 09:04 PM by Statefan.)
04-05-2020 09:02 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Basic ideas:
1) Make conferences less unwieldy;
2) Keep/add back traditional rivalries;
3) Maximize value;
4) Minimize disruption
To do these sometimes contradictory goals, major conferences will consolidate into two groups, each of which will include 3 twelve team conferences. There will be a BTN group centered around the Big 10 and a SEN group centered around the SEC. With two groups, they will have more power vs. the networks and they can avoid redundant conference office costs. Within each group they will share Tier 2 and Tier 3 revenues, but may have separate Tier 1 contracts to reflect the different values.
BTN group:
B1G Pac North Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, California; South USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St., Utah, Colorado
B1G 10 West Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin; East Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., Rutgers
B1G Atlantic North Penn St., Notre Dame, Maryland, Pittsburgh, South Florida, Central Florida; South Miami, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech

SEN group:
Big 12 North Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St., Missouri; South Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, BYU, Arkansas
SEC West Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi St., LSU, Texas A&M, Houston; East Auburn, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee,
ACC Atlantic FSU, Clemson, North Carolina St., Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College; Coastal West Virginia, South Carolina, Louisville, Cincinnati, Temple, Connecticut

BTN group will include Pac 12 (renamed B1G Pac), B1G 10, the schools from the ACC Coastal, 5 of whom are AAU, Notre Dame, South Florida and Central Florida. By splitting the ACC, they maximize the value of those states while allowing the BTN group connection to Florida for recruiting and TV viewing. Having both USF and UCF with Miami provides some consolation for the SEN having FSU and Florida.

B1G Pac plays a 5-1-2-2 schedule, all 5 in division, 1 annual fixed cross-division rival, 2 cross division games so you get the other division home and away over 5 years, and 2 games against the rest of the BTN group, so there are at least 10 games vs. power teams controlled by the group. California schools will be allowed to use a BTN group game to play each other every year.

B1G 10 plays a 5-0-3-2 schedule, all 5 in division, no fixed cross-division, 3 cross division so you get the other division home and away over 4 years and 2 vs. the rest of the BTN group.

B1G Atlantic plays a 5-0-2-3 schedule, all 5 in division, no fixed cross-division, 2 cross division so you get the other division home and away over 6 years and 3 vs. the rest of the BTN group. This schedule is to give Notre Dame more flexibility (USC, Stanford, one other). And Penn St., Miami, Notre Dame give B1G Atlantic 3 powers as the B1G 10 has Ohio St., Michigan and Nebraska.

SEC group will include SEC, Big 12 and ACC Atlantic plus BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, Temple and UConn. Missouri and Arkansas are moved back with old rivals, while A&M is left in the SEC along with Houston to avoid overloading the Big 12 with Texas schools while keeping SEC with a good base there. The original 10 SEC schools are kept together. South Carolina is moved back with ACC schools who they left 50 years ago and WVU is put in a more geographically sensible conference.

All 3 play a 5-1-2-1 schedule, all 5 in division, 1 annual fixed cross-division rival, 2 cross division games so you get the other division home and away over 5 years, and 1 game against the rest of the SEN group while a 2nd is encouraged, but some schools will want to schedule a BTN group school. Alabama will be allowed to use that 10th game so they can schedule Tennessee and Auburn every year even though they only have 1 fixed cross division rival.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 09:12 PM by bullet.)
04-05-2020 09:11 PM
texoma Offline
2nd String

(04-05-2020 06:28 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(04-05-2020 05:53 PM)texoma Wrote:  Here are my 18 team conference proposals:

Big10 adds: Pittsburg, Syracuse, Boston College and Notre Dame.

SEC adds: Oklahoma, Kansas, West Virginia and Miami.

ACC adds: TCU, Baylor, SMU, Memphis, Cincy, UCF, USF & UConn.

PAC 12 schools merge with: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Iowa State and Houston.

My reasoning follows:

The Big10 adds to its East strength with good academic schools and Notre Dame. Satisfies academicss and athletics.

The SEC gets both football and basketball blue bloods and South Florida. Satisfies academic and athletics.

The ACC gets into the Texas markets for football and gets good Basketball schools in Memphis, Cincy and UConn. Plus increasing its Florida base. Satisfies academic and athletics.

PAC merges with Big12 schools. ( I view it as a merger, because of Texas and and the LHN.) PAC schools get into the badly needed Texas market. Remaining Big12 schools find a home. Some of the PAC schools may not like the academics, but they do not have a lot of choices.

I like the Big Ten adds and UConn in the ACC. I'd prefer Texas and Oklahoma in the same conference. I hate teams west of the Mississippi in the ACC. I like Oklahoma in the SEC and can see Texas passing on the SEC but I can't see West Virginia and Miami getting in over a ton of other ACC schools.

Thanks. The ACC situation is not ideal, but it is what it is. I don't think Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech etc., would fit in the SEC and I don't think the NC schools would split up. Clemson and FSU might be interested, but they are top dogs in the ACC and the SEC is already in South Carolina and Florida. You will notice after further review I replaced Miami with VT. Of course we are all just speculating.
04-05-2020 10:12 PM
schmolik Offline

(04-05-2020 09:02 PM)Statefan Wrote:  ACC North - BC, Syracuse, Penn State, Pitt, ND, MD
ACC Central - VT, UVa, NCSU, UNC, Duke, WF
ACC South - GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Tulane, TCU

Prize - Penn State
Dog - Tulane

SEC West - Oklahoma, OSU, TAMU, Ole Miss, MSU
SEC Central - Kansas, Mizzou, Arkansas, Bama, TN, Auburn
SEC East - West Va., Vandy, UK, SC, UGa, Florida

Prize - Oklahoma
Dog - Oklahoma State

P15 East - Texas, TT, Rice, Arizona, ASU
P15 West - USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Colorado
P15 North - Washington, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Utah

Prize - Texas
Dog - Rice

Big 10 East - UConn, Rutgers, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue
Big 10 Central - Michigan, MSU, NW, Illinois, Cincy
Big 10 West - Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado State

Prize - None
Dog - ?

This format makes a 16 team playoff easy for 66 schools. It punitive toward the B10 and good for the P12 and ACC. It's also predicated on not being able to break the core of the ACC, B10, SEC, and P12. The B12 has no "core" of schools so to speak. So I started with four cores of Michigan/MSU/Wisky/Iowa/Ohio State and UNC/UVa/VT/NCSU/Duke/WF and Bama/Tennessee/LSU/Georgia/Auburn/Florida and UCLA/Cal/Stanford/USC.

SOL - USF, Iowa State, K-State, Baylor, BYU, Boise, Temple, Houston, ECU, Navy, Army, Air Force

Not only is the dog of the Big Ten Colorado State they could be the biggest dog in your entire list of schools. I had to look up exactly where they were. Now they're only in a division with four other schools and three of them are either on or west of the Mississippi but the rest of the schools (especially UConn) will have no interest in ever traveling all the way to Colorado for a second choice school. I'd take Iowa State or Kansas State over Colorado State and that's saying something. Tulane and Rice pretty bad too although at least they're good academic schools and they're New Orleans and Houston. Taking Penn State away from the Big Ten and leaving them with Colorado State? Yes, that would be punitive. At least Penn State and Pittsburgh are together. But after Colorado State in the Big Ten and TCU in the ACC, if geography is the #1 criteria I'm going to win in a landslide. By the way, your SOL list? Ever heard of a school called UCF??????
04-06-2020 05:57 AM
schmolik Offline

(04-05-2020 09:11 PM)bullet Wrote:  Basic ideas:
1) Make conferences less unwieldy;
2) Keep/add back traditional rivalries;
3) Maximize value;
4) Minimize disruption
To do these sometimes contradictory goals, major conferences will consolidate into two groups, each of which will include 3 twelve team conferences. There will be a BTN group centered around the Big 10 and a SEN group centered around the SEC. With two groups, they will have more power vs. the networks and they can avoid redundant conference office costs. Within each group they will share Tier 2 and Tier 3 revenues, but may have separate Tier 1 contracts to reflect the different values.
BTN group:
B1G Pac North Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, California; South USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St., Utah, Colorado
B1G 10 West Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin; East Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., Rutgers
B1G Atlantic North Penn St., Notre Dame, Maryland, Pittsburgh, South Florida, Central Florida; South Miami, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech

SEN group:
Big 12 North Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St., Missouri; South Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, BYU, Arkansas
SEC West Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi St., LSU, Texas A&M, Houston; East Auburn, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee,
ACC Atlantic FSU, Clemson, North Carolina St., Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College; Coastal West Virginia, South Carolina, Louisville, Cincinnati, Temple, Connecticut

BTN group will include Pac 12 (renamed B1G Pac), B1G 10, the schools from the ACC Coastal, 5 of whom are AAU, Notre Dame, South Florida and Central Florida. By splitting the ACC, they maximize the value of those states while allowing the BTN group connection to Florida for recruiting and TV viewing. Having both USF and UCF with Miami provides some consolation for the SEN having FSU and Florida.

B1G Pac plays a 5-1-2-2 schedule, all 5 in division, 1 annual fixed cross-division rival, 2 cross division games so you get the other division home and away over 5 years, and 2 games against the rest of the BTN group, so there are at least 10 games vs. power teams controlled by the group. California schools will be allowed to use a BTN group game to play each other every year.

B1G 10 plays a 5-0-3-2 schedule, all 5 in division, no fixed cross-division, 3 cross division so you get the other division home and away over 4 years and 2 vs. the rest of the BTN group.

B1G Atlantic plays a 5-0-2-3 schedule, all 5 in division, no fixed cross-division, 2 cross division so you get the other division home and away over 6 years and 3 vs. the rest of the BTN group. This schedule is to give Notre Dame more flexibility (USC, Stanford, one other). And Penn St., Miami, Notre Dame give B1G Atlantic 3 powers as the B1G 10 has Ohio St., Michigan and Nebraska.

SEC group will include SEC, Big 12 and ACC Atlantic plus BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, Temple and UConn. Missouri and Arkansas are moved back with old rivals, while A&M is left in the SEC along with Houston to avoid overloading the Big 12 with Texas schools while keeping SEC with a good base there. The original 10 SEC schools are kept together. South Carolina is moved back with ACC schools who they left 50 years ago and WVU is put in a more geographically sensible conference.

All 3 play a 5-1-2-1 schedule, all 5 in division, 1 annual fixed cross-division rival, 2 cross division games so you get the other division home and away over 5 years, and 1 game against the rest of the SEN group while a 2nd is encouraged, but some schools will want to schedule a BTN group school. Alabama will be allowed to use that 10th game so they can schedule Tennessee and Auburn every year even though they only have 1 fixed cross division rival.

In general I'm not in favor of Big Ten/Pac 12 and ACC/SEC pairings but I get the logic. The BTN conferences and divisions make logical sense.

On the SEN group, you said you want to (2) keep/add back traditional rivalries, (3) maximize values, and (4) minimize disruption. Obviously the best way to do 2 and 3 would be to move Texas A&M back to the Big 12. I'm assuming you kept them in the SEC because of 4 but you moved Arkansas back to the Big 12. Obviously it makes sense for Missouri to be in the Big 12. If you're really trying to minimize disruption why not just keep Arkansas in the SEC and Houston in the Big 12? Houston seems out of place in the SEC. Then I would switch Alabama and Vanderbilt in the SEC. Which rivalry would I rather have in the same division, Alabama-Auburn or Tennessee-Vanderbilt? It also fixes the problem of Alabama having to schedule both Tennessee and Auburn.

Bonus point for being the first other than me for having UConn and Temple in.
04-06-2020 06:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.