OT: Jax State Unveils New Performance Center
04-04-2020 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: OT: Jax State Unveils New Performance Center
With the new baseball stadium, remodeled basketball arena, they are positioning themselves very nicely to make the jump to FBS.

They have the facilities, fan support, and a football stadium that holds 24k.
04-05-2020 09:37 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-05-2020 09:37 AM)Usajags Wrote:  With the new baseball stadium, remodeled basketball arena, they are positioning themselves very nicely to make the jump to FBS.

But for the SBC? There are already two teams from Alabama in the conference. Do we really need three?
04-05-2020 04:37 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-05-2020 04:37 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  
(04-05-2020 09:37 AM)Usajags Wrote:  With the new baseball stadium, remodeled basketball arena, they are positioning themselves very nicely to make the jump to FBS.

But for the SBC? There are already two teams from Alabama in the conference. Do we really need three?

Didn’t say SBC, I said FBS. Liberty has paved the way for schools that want to make the jump without a conference. If enough schools get together and want to make the jump, they could then create their own football conference.
04-05-2020 05:57 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen

Sorry Virgin Mary, there is no room in the inn.
04-05-2020 06:27 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

When the P5 schools pull their split from the rest of us, there are schools that are currently in FCS that will jump up into that middle class.

You could also see some P5 schools fall into the middle class as well, and some G5 schools fall to the third class.
04-05-2020 07:09 PM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-05-2020 05:57 PM)Usajags Wrote:  
(04-05-2020 04:37 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  

Didn’t say SBC, I said FBS. Liberty has paved the way for schools that want to make the jump without a conference. If enough schools get together and want to make the jump, they could then create their own football conference.

Not to be argumentative but Liberty has a lot more resources, including money, plus it's a much larger university than JSU, which is located in a smaller town.
04-05-2020 09:27 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

But Liberty has proven that all you need to be FBS is to declare you are FBS. No need for a conference invite. That has nothing to do with money or town size. If a school, any school, wants FBS, the NCAA can’t stop you from doing it.
04-05-2020 10:24 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(04-05-2020 10:24 PM)Usajags Wrote:  But Liberty has proven that all you need to be FBS is to declare you are FBS. No need for a conference invite. That has nothing to do with money or town size. If a school, any school, wants FBS, the NCAA can’t stop you from doing it.

It is a rule that schools need a conference invite to move between divisions. Liberty moved up because they threatened to sue the NCAA for anti-trust. They have the money to support a case against the NCAA as well. I doubt Jax St has the resources to do the same.
04-05-2020 10:51 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Jax State could join the MAC. Not the best option, but an option nevertheless.
04-06-2020 02:58 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
There is a lot less room at the inn now than there was in 2010. I don't know exactly where any new FBS schools would go conference wise. That said, 11 schools joined the FBS ranks between 2010 and 2018 (2 independents [1via MAC], 3 C-USA, and 5 Sun Belt). Surely SOMEONE will make their way up in the next 10 years. Jacksonville State, along with James Madison and maybe North Dakota State, seem most prepared as of now.
04-06-2020 07:21 AM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-06-2020 07:21 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  There is a lot less room at the inn now than there was in 2010. I don't know exactly where any new FBS schools would go conference wise. That said, 11 schools joined the FBS ranks between 2010 and 2018 (2 independents [1via MAC], 3 C-USA, and 5 Sun Belt). Surely SOMEONE will make their way up in the next 10 years. Jacksonville State, along with James Madison and maybe North Dakota State, seem most prepared as of now.

Jax. State is FCS and will be for many years. Too many programs more qualified ahead of them. Those new facilities are nice, but they won't rocket launch that program to FBS. Ludicrous to think otherwise.
04-06-2020 12:21 PM
All American

(04-06-2020 12:21 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  
(04-06-2020 07:21 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  There is a lot less room at the inn now than there was in 2010. I don't know exactly where any new FBS schools would go conference wise. That said, 11 schools joined the FBS ranks between 2010 and 2018 (2 independents [1via MAC], 3 C-USA, and 5 Sun Belt). Surely SOMEONE will make their way up in the next 10 years. Jacksonville State, along with James Madison and maybe North Dakota State, seem most prepared as of now.

Jax. State is FCS and will be for many years. Too many programs more qualified ahead of them. Those new facilities are nice, but they won't rocket launch that program to FBS. Ludicrous to think otherwise.

Who, exactly, is more qualified, in your opinion?

I would say first and foremost James Madison.
North Dakota State, but only if they had a place to go and an actual desire to do so.
The Montana schools might be able to do it: however, I don't see the Mountain West going to 14 with them.
Kennesaw State, but I think they have too many question marks.

I can't think of anyone else that exists in FCS right now. More likely than many schools would be another startup, such as Florida Gulf Coast, if they so desired to start football.
04-06-2020 06:40 PM
Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy
I think Jax State would be a good fit in the Sunbelt. I doubt they would take away any more recruits than they already do.
04-06-2020 07:38 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-06-2020 07:38 PM)Yarddog Wrote:  I think Jax State would be a good fit in the Sunbelt. I doubt they would take away any more recruits than they already do.

I used to think so too, until I spoke with a SBC AD, a former SBC AD and some Jax State alumni. Jacksonville State only has an enrollment of 8,500 and the town of Jacksonville's population is only 12,548. They do have a pretty nice stadium, but what about the other sports? Can they compete in the SBC?
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2020 08:23 PM by JoeJag.)
04-06-2020 08:21 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-06-2020 06:40 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

North Dakota State, but only if they had a place to go and an actual desire to do so.
The Montana schools might be able to do it: however, I don't see the Mountain West going to 14 with them.

I can't think of anyone else that exists in FCS right now. More likely than many schools would be another startup, such as Florida Gulf Coast, if they so desired to start football.

I would consider ones you mention, JDU, the Montana schools, but certainly not Kennesaw or Florida Gulf Coast.

Here is a short list (not necessarily considered SBC worthy) of all the ones that I have in mind:
Youngstown State, Eastern Kentucky, Missouri State, Sam Houston State, Southeastern Louisiana, Stephen F. Austin, Weber State, Sacramento State.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2020 08:37 PM by JoeJag.)
04-06-2020 08:33 PM
Advertisement

All American

(04-06-2020 08:21 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  
(04-06-2020 07:38 PM)Yarddog Wrote:  I think Jax State would be a good fit in the Sunbelt. I doubt they would take away any more recruits than they already do.

I used to think so too, until I spoke with a SBC AD, a former SBC AD and some Jax State alumni. Jacksonville State only has an enrollment of 8,500 and the town of Jacksonville's population is only 12,548. They do have a pretty nice stadium, but what about the other sports? Can they compete in the SBC?

Good points there, except for the town's population. Boone is only about 20,000, and that has not held App State from gaining a pretty good foothold in the larger cities in NC.

The small enrollment at Jacksonville State is a red flag. I'll give you that.
04-06-2020 08:33 PM
All American

(04-06-2020 08:33 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  

I would consider ones you mention, JDU, the Montana schools, but certainly not Kennesaw or Florida Gulf Coast.

Here is a short list (not considered SBC worthy) of all the ones that I have in mind:
Youngstown State, Eastern Kentucky, Missouri State, Sam Houston State, Southeastern Louisiana, Stephen F. Austin, Weber State, Sacramento State.

I'd add NC A&T for a few years from now, provided they continue their current upward trajectory.

I'm not so sure about YSU. Their golden opportunity was the 90's, when they won four 1-AA national titles. Unlike Marshall, App State, and Ga. Southern, they didn't strike while the iron was still hot. They are also in a shrinking city in terms of population and economy (and that was prior to COVID). They are in an area of the country where enrollment is declining, as are potential future donors. Plus, I just cannot imagine the MAC adding yet another Ohio school.
04-06-2020 08:45 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-06-2020 08:33 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(04-06-2020 08:21 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  

Good points there, except for the town's population. Boone is only about 20,000, and that has not held App State from gaining a pretty good foothold in the larger cities in NC.

The small enrollment at Jacksonville State is a red flag. I'll give you that.

Yes, but App State has an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students and is nestled in the heart of the beautiful Smoky Mountains. JSU, in the foothills of north Alabama.
04-06-2020 08:47 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(04-06-2020 08:33 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  

Here is a short list (not necessarily considered SBC worthy) of all the ones that I have in mind:

YSU has no desire to go FBS. EKU has the desire to go FBS but they're short on $$'s. I could see Missouri State, and maybe Weber State. SLU?? Too many FBS programs in Louisiana. Sacramento State?? Again, like EKU, they lack $$$'s.
04-07-2020 12:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.