Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toughest Bearcats (basketball)
Bookmark and Share
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Toughest Bearcats (basketball)
To me, toughness is the hallmark of Cincinnati basketball.

Toughness is things like striking fear into your opponent, playing through pain and injury, playing through contact and not getting pushed around.

I have little memory of Bearcats players before 2005, but I'll give it a whirl:

1) Jason Maxiel
2) Jarron Cumberland
3) Justin Jackson
4) Eric Hicks

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020 12:26 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
03-31-2020 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Toughest Bearcats (basketball)
Sean Kilpatrick was a pretty tough dude. Would definitely put Kenyon Martin and Danny Fortson up there. More in the realm of role players, I'd put Bobby Brannen on the list for sure, and Maxiel and Hicks are no brainers.

03-31-2020 12:32 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Eric Hicks
Curtis Bostic

We've had a ton of tough guys, particularly in the Huggins era, but those are the two that stand out to me.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020 12:38 PM by bearcatmark.)
03-31-2020 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

All good names in this thread so far.

Honorable Mention for Connor Barwin here going up against opponents' biggest guys on an undermanned Bearcat squad.

03-31-2020 12:55 PM
cpawstoney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.C.
What about Art Long. No horse could make him back down.
03-lmfao

03-31-2020 12:56 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
I don't remember anyone wanting to mess with Art Long. I think he talked the talk and walked the walk, police horse included.

I don't think Yancy Gates ever got enough credit for his toughness too. He was the only size we had and pretty much saved us in that NCAA game v. Florida St. They were much bigger than us and Gates fought their bigs by himself the whole game.

This is kind've cheating, but I enjoyed the temporary stints put in by both Brad Jackson and Antwan Peek too. They both knew that they had five fouls and got their money's worth when they got in.

03-31-2020 01:02 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2020 01:02 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I don't remember anyone wanting to mess with Art Long. I think he talked the talk and walked the walk, police horse included.

I don't think Yancy Gates ever got enough credit for his toughness too. He was the only size we had and pretty much saved us in that NCAA game v. Florida St. They were much bigger than us and Gates fought their bigs by himself the whole game.

This is kind've cheating, but I enjoyed the temporary stints put in by both Brad Jackson and Antwan Peek too. They both knew that they had five fouls and got their money's worth when they got in.

Bolded, great point. Yancy had tremendous ability and toughness and when we saw it on display for forty minutes against FSU, he was definitely a game changer. Unfortunately, we didn't see that kind of performance against OSU the following weekend.

03-31-2020 01:12 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2020 01:12 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(03-31-2020 01:02 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I don't remember anyone wanting to mess with Art Long. I think he talked the talk and walked the walk, police horse included.

Bolded, great point. Yancy had tremendous ability and toughness and when we saw it on display for forty minutes against FSU, he was definitely a game changer. Unfortunately, we didn't see that kind of performance against OSU the following weekend.

Yeah, Yancy could be a monster at times. He was as talented as any big we've had post-Kenyon. I thought he would be a 15 and 10 guy at the end of his career, but he didn't quite get there.

03-31-2020 01:18 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I’m guessing the fear of Yancy went up a notch after he dropped Kenny Frease with one blow. Lol!

I don’t think anyone wanted to mess with Curtis Bostic. In addition to his physique he was a black belt in Karate. He was only 6’5 but was usually assigned to defend the other team’s big man. I still remember him taking care of than 7’0 goon Eric Montross.

03-31-2020 01:35 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-31-2020 12:56 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  What about Art Long. No horse could make him back down.
03-lmfao

Or Ron Allen? Anyone who would tie you up and burn you with a hot coat hanger is not to be trifled with. 03-lmfao

In all seriousness, didn't Curtis Bostic also have a black belt in Karate?

I know some may laugh at this, but what about Damon Flint? He played 2-3 years with turf toe. That's as about as painful as it gets. Turf toe ended Jack Lambert's football career.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020 01:42 PM by Cat-Man.)
03-31-2020 01:38 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
Brad Jackson was a dyed-in-the-wool tough guy. I remember one game where Bobby Brannen took a hard foul. In today’s world, it would have been an F2. Bobby ran after the guy who fouled him with the intention of killing him. Brad Jackson ran after Bobby and tackled him on the floor. Then he picked Bobby up and carried him to the bench. Brannen was swearing the whole time but was smart enough to avoid taking on Mr. Jackson.

03-31-2020 01:41 PM
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
(03-31-2020 01:38 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
(03-31-2020 12:56 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  What about Art Long. No horse could make him back down.
03-lmfao

Or Ron Allen? Anyone who would tie you up and burn you with a hot coat hanger is not to be trifled with. 03-lmfao

I know some may laugh at this, but what about Damon Flint? He played 2-3 years with turf toe. That's as about as painful as it gets. Turf toe ended Jack Lambert's football career.

That would have been Donald Little, not Ronald Allen.

Eric Hicks. The guy ate babies. Pretty sure he was shot in the leg before either his freshman or sophomore season and still came to play.

Hicks and Max were about as intimidating of a front court that you could get.

03-31-2020 01:49 PM
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
Ruben Patterson went out and dropped 32 points the day after his mother died of a heart attack. That's about as tough as it gets.

03-31-2020 02:12 PM
Teakwood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: All Bearcats
Lots of ways to define toughness. If you're looking for that intimidating aura, don;t want to see them in a dark alley, it is Long, Max, and Hicks in that order. The 'never say die', play till you collapse type of toughness will take a little more thought. Ruben playing after his mom died is huge. Gary playing at an all-conference level on one ankle is another, and I do appreciate Flint playing through turf toe. Somebody help me, who else has played through some serious injuries or illness that I am forgetting?

03-31-2020 02:20 PM
BearcatnKY Offline
Bearcat Baller

I Root For: UC luck, ONCE.
Chadd Moore with his bad back.

03-31-2020 02:47 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Wasn't it Taron Barker who broke Kirkland's jaw. He always struck me as a bad dude. Hicks definitely with getting shot and also getting a concussionand coming back vs Louisville, but I wouldn't want to run into KMart on his bad side either. Was it Bostic that hooked up with Mick's wife? That would take some balls.

03-31-2020 03:07 PM
Advertisement

MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
Fortson IMO. I just remember him throwing elbows after rebounds that could split an oak in two.

03-31-2020 04:29 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Intimidating, physical, didn't know a smile if they saw one, would be ready to trade blows with anyone trying any crap against them or a teammate in no particular order...

Eric Hicks
Jason Maxiell
Corie Blount
Jamaal Davis
Kenyon Martin
Yancy Gates
Jarron Cumberland

03-31-2020 08:02 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(03-31-2020 01:38 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
03-lmfao

i liked dame. he did seem to have some bad luck. ron allen? what the hell made you think of him? good god man

blocktavious was a pretty bad dude. hicks and max were a lot of fun. what a tandem. is my memory hazy or did they not make the most of their time together?

03-31-2020 09:58 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
The list begins and ends with .... Eric Hicks.

January 7, 2006. UC is down 10 at half and Eric Hicks gets a concussion in the first half. At the end of halftime Hicks is told by an assistant that he would be sitting out the second half due to a possible concussion. Hicks forcibly grabs the assistant coach, gives him a gentle nudge into the nearby locker, and tells the assistant "F you, I'm playing" and runs out of the locker to the court. Hicks goes on to dominate the second half and finish the game with 24 points, 12 rebounds and 10 blocks. A few days later in an interview Hicks would go on to say that he doesn't even remember playing in the second half of that game.

I'm 6'5" and I have a picture of me standing next to Hicks and he is my height or maybe a tad shorter. No UC player at his size played bigger or tougher.

04-01-2020 08:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.