Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Feds Add Gun Companies to ‘Essential’ Business List Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Feds Add Gun Companies to ‘Essential’ Business List Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
Quote:The Department of Homeland Security added gun dealers, ranges, and manufacturers to its essential business coronavirus-response guide on Saturday.

The updated guidance from DHS's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) now considers "workers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges" to be essential. Those industry workers are listed under the designation for "law enforcement, public safety, and other first responders."

The change comes after some state and local officials have shut down gun stores and manufacturing plants around the country. The federal guidelines could influence how state and local officials implement lockdown orders moving forward. Demand for firearms has skyrocketed in response to the uncertainty surrounding the global pandemic, even as shutdowns in some states have closed the only legal avenue for purchases. Some officials cited the lack of DHS guidance to defend those closures.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, the firearms industry's trade group, requested the essential designation in a March 20th letter to DHS. The group praised the updated DHS guidance as "crucial."

"We have seen over the past week hundreds of thousands, even millions of Americans choosing to exercise their right to keep and bear arms to ensure their safety and the safety of loved ones during these uncertain times," Lawrence Keane, general counsel for the group, said in a statement. "Americans must not be denied the ability to exercise that right to lawfully purchase and acquire firearms during times of emergency."

While DHS cautioned that the guide is not binding on states, it is the federal government's official recommendation for how they should respond to the novel coronavirus outbreak.

"This list is intended to help State, local, tribal and territorial officials as they work to protect their communities, while ensuring continuity of functions critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security," Christopher C. Krebs, director of CISA, wrote in a March 28 memo.

The firearms industry said state and local government officials, which have been split on what to do with gun businesses, should heed the updated guidance.

"This guidance from the Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) is crucial to governors and local officials as they craft the orders to preserve public health," Keane said.

Democratic New Jersey attorney general Gurbir Grewal pointed to DHS to defend Democratic governor Phil Murphy's decision to shutter not only stores but also the state background check system in his emergency order.

"The governor's executive order tracks every other executive order that has a stay-at-home provision and none of those—none of those—contain an exemption for firearm stores and nor does the federal guidance from Homeland Security contain that type of exemption when it comes to essential facilities and nonessential facilities," he said at a town hall this week.

A number of gun-rights groups are already locked in a legal fight with New Jersey. Activists are also exploring cases in Washington, California, Texas, and Florida where shutdowns have either been threatened or are already in effect.

Pennsylvania reversed its shut down order for gun stores even after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court declined an emergency legal challenge from Second Amendment activists. Delaware also reversed course on closing gun stores after threats of legal action. The Los Angeles County Sheriff has flip-flopped on the issue repeatedly in March.

Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation which is behind several of the cases, praised the Trump administration for making the change.

"Every freedom-loving American owes President Trump and his administration a very big thank you for protecting our Second Amendment rights," he said. "This is another Trump promise made and promise kept."

Krebs said the federal government will continue to play a "supporting role" in localities' decisions on which businesses should remain open. He cautioned government officials and business owners alike to consider all factors before making a decision about whether or not to stay open during the pandemic.

"State, local, tribal, and territorial governments are responsible for implementing and executing response activities, including decisions about access and reentry, in their communities, while the Federal Government is in a supporting role," he said in the memo. "Officials should use their own judgment in issuing implementation directives and guidance. Similarly, while adhering to relevant public health guidance, critical infrastructure owners and operators are expected to use their own judgement on issues of the prioritization of business processes and workforce allocation to best ensure continuity of the essential goods and services they support."

Link

One by one, every business will be deemed "essential" and in this way our economy, which is truly essential, will be reactivated.
03-29-2020 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Feds Add Gun Companies to ‘Essential’ Business List Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
[Image: tenor.gif]
03-29-2020 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: Feds Add Gun Companies to ‘Essential’ Business List Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
I would strike that bit down. Food, water, utilities and medical is the most important than anything else. Guns and ammo are not important. We do not eat guns, ammo and firing ranges. We do not used them for utilities and medical purposes.
03-29-2020 01:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Now if only we could remove media from "essential businesses".
03-29-2020 01:24 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(03-29-2020 01:12 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I would strike that bit down. Food, water, utilities and medical is the most important than anything else. Guns and ammo are not important. We do not eat guns, ammo and firing ranges. We do not used them for utilities and medical purposes.

When your dumbazz breaks into my property to steal food because you are incapable of surviving without a grocery store open, you will eat some ammo.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 01:35 PM by UofMstateU.)
03-29-2020 01:34 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(03-29-2020 01:12 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I would strike that bit down. Food, water, utilities and medical is the most important than anything else. Guns and ammo are not important. We do not eat guns, ammo and firing ranges. We do not used them for utilities and medical purposes.

I have enough meat in my freezer to last months and was all provided by a gun.
03-29-2020 01:37 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

[Image: quote-those-who-would-give-up-essential-...283040.jpg]
03-29-2020 03:05 PM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Feds Add Gun Companies to ‘Essential’ Business List Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

Yea, and without our right to keep and bear arms, none of those other things are guaranteed to be there.

Ask the Koreans in LA County just a scant “crisis” or two ago.
03-29-2020 03:16 PM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
(03-29-2020 03:05 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

[Image: quote-those-who-would-give-up-essential-...283040.jpg]

I’m amazed by how smart these men were. They are still 100% right on point 200+ years later with some of the most drastic changes humanity has ever seen. Maybe even more on point today than then.
03-29-2020 03:25 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Awesome. Flip the bird to these idiot liberal mayors who used this as an anti 2nd Amendment political stunt.
03-29-2020 03:27 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(03-29-2020 01:34 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

When your dumbazz breaks into my property to steal food because you are incapable of surviving without a grocery store open, you will eat some ammo.

04-bow
03-29-2020 03:32 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

He’s too lazy to get up off the couch and stop reading the obituaries to break in someone’s property.
03-29-2020 04:55 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama

No, we just use them to protect ourselves from the criminals your liberal loons want to let out of jail, not to mention the ones still on the streets who are now emboldened by most large police forces having modified the way they now respond to criminal acts.
03-29-2020 06:08 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

03-lmfao03-nutkick

This^^^^^!
03-29-2020 06:09 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(03-29-2020 01:37 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

I have enough meat in my freezer to last months and was all provided by a gun.

Exactly, I'm too old to drop down out of tree onto a deer to stab it in the neck. My freezer is well stocked, even if one of them did test positive for CWD I'll eat that bad boy when push comes to shove.
03-29-2020 06:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.