Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Josh Parrish into Transfer Portal
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
Josh Parrish into Transfer Portal
As a graduate transfer. Really had a nice year-too bad.....
03-28-2020 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Intellectual_Brutality Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls!
RE: Josh Parrish into Transfer Portal
I watched very little ball this last year but in the little I saw I was impressed by his athleticism the most, a grown man among mostly boys. Tough loss. Best of luck to him!
03-28-2020 02:44 PM
Kayjay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
Hard nosed and a hard worker. He really had to work to get his minutes on the court at Rice. That toughness will be missed. His lack of perimeter shooting made it tough to consistently garner starters minutes and he was not the best free throw shooter. I liked watching Josh play and I am sorry to lose that depth on the team. It will be interesting to see what team is recruiting him.
03-28-2020 06:02 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
And now Peterson. So much for next season...

Quote:Mark Berman
@MarkBermanFox26
@Drewpeterson23
has entered his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal. Drew was one of four Owls to play in all 32 games this past season, starting 31. He averaged 11.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists.
03-31-2020 12:28 PM
1st String

(03-31-2020 12:28 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  And now Peterson. So much for next season...

@MarkBermanFox26
@Drewpeterson23
has entered his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal. Drew was one of four Owls to play in all 32 games this past season, starting 31. He averaged 11.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists.

Hah, this is just getting comical now. I love basketball but at this point I'm content shedding the program. Until NCAA changes its rules to curtail this transferring farce, there's no point in watching/learning names/getting invested
03-31-2020 01:13 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
wow
03-31-2020 01:14 PM
Advertisement

temchugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
Ugh; why do we bother?
03-31-2020 01:17 PM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
03-31-2020 03:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
MyBB RE: Josh Parrish into Transfer Portal
wow. something needs to change to stop all this. It's just no fun trying to be a fan at a smaller school.
03-31-2020 03:38 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-31-2020 01:13 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  
(03-31-2020 12:28 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  And now Peterson. So much for next season...

@MarkBermanFox26
@Drewpeterson23

Hah, this is just getting comical now. I love basketball but at this point I'm content shedding the program. Until NCAA changes its rules to curtail this transferring farce, there's no point in watching/learning names/getting invested

Exactly.
03-31-2020 03:59 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators

@MarkBermanFox26
@Drewpeterson23

So who's left for next year's roster (as well as next year's incoming freshmen and undergrad/grad transfers in)?

Are we going to evolve into being known as a program for players interested in having 1 (or 2)-and-done auditions for larger programs?
03-31-2020 04:13 PM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Seriously perhaps the NCAA should have some form of payment for schools that lose players. If the new school can just shop and browse the portal it seems the original school who took these former less than desirable recruits should get at least something out of it.
03-31-2020 04:19 PM
peanutgallery Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Well, at least this is only happening in men's basketball. All the other sports haven't been plagued by the transfer portal.

I also thought we would have a pretty good team next year. It seems that there is a domino effect when the first good player enters the portal.

We are probably going to have to get used to this. We apparently sign players that will get to play a lot their first two years, which helps us recruit more talented players. Maybe we should just be grateful that we get to see them play for 2 years.

If they value basketball more than their education, and they dream of playing in the NBA, then it makes sense to transfer to a larger school. Yes, people should dream big. However, most of the players transferring will regret this move 10 years from now.
03-31-2020 06:57 PM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
One is a datapoint that can be easily explained away, two raises eyebrows, but three makes it a trend.

I wish all of them the best of luck. My $.02 is that if coaches, AD's, College Presidents, etc. can leave at will, then players should be able to decide where they want to be. Question is why they want to leave a great education and allegedly a great environment. They all are decent players but not like any of them are in zipcode of a NBA or even material professional look.

For Rice however, something is broken above/beyond the transfer portal. That is just the vehicle out. Question is why so many want to get into that vehicle in first place. I thought we had a players coach that was put in that job b/c he could attract and retain talent. The fact that we are doing neither at the present time is cause for major concern.

Rice can tout all the success it wants in sports not named FB, MBB or Baseball but reality is those three are 10x more important than all the others combined to get to the bigger prize of a better lot in life vs. languishing in C-USA.

Look at where this MBB program is vs. 5-years ago, 10-years ago, and 20-years ago. Very difficult to make an argument that it is the same let alone a better place. Results have not just been flat-lined against an already low bar. They have regressed.

So many other examples of D-1 MBB programs that have gotten over-the-hump and other Rice athletic programs that have done so as well. The issues here are Rice MBB specific.

Need JK or Pera to sell some hope b/c the results on-the-court and now off-the-court paint a bad picture. Someone needs to explain why the reality is different than the really bad optics here.

Taking it at face-value, it looks like a dumpster fire.
03-31-2020 07:07 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I really want to love men’s college basketball, but this transfer ridiculousness makes it almost impossible for me. I would rather suck and get guys who want Rice degrees at this point. Every time we have a wave of transfers, I basically half-ignore the following season because I don’t know who most of the team is.

I don’t “blame” Murphy and Peterson for their decision. But I wish they had never set foot on Rice’s campus. I am ok with anyone who graduates. But I wish the guys who use rice as a basketball stepping stone would just have never come. Plenty of crap academic schools they could have used as a stepping stone, what the hell was the point of coming here?

As crap as football has been for a while now, I would rather fold up the tent on men’s basketball than football. At least the football players stick around and graduate.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020 11:01 PM by mrbig.)
03-31-2020 10:59 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Agree completely with the “wish they never stepped foot” comment. I replied to both Trey and Drew’s announcements in twitter feeds by simply saying “who?”.
04-01-2020 05:47 AM
Advertisement

1st String

I think blaming individuals is beside the point, the problem is an NCAA-level one. You guys saw the sizable list of transfers all across CUSA, right? It's clear that the "stepping stone" strategy is now widespread among recruits, every player with "big dreams" has it mind no matter what they say, and the only question is whether they execute on it or not.

I don't blame the students in the least, but I do blame NCAA, and won't be watching basketball until this farce ends. I'm also in favor of shutting the program, with an eye to spinning it back up when rules/regs change.
04-01-2020 10:29 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Disgraceful.
04-01-2020 11:20 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Pera must be sick to his stomach. What a dismal situation.
04-02-2020 05:40 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(03-31-2020 07:07 PM)owl40 Wrote:  One is a datapoint that can be easily explained away, two raises eyebrows, but three makes it a trend.

I wish all of them the best of luck. My $.02 is that if coaches, AD's, College Presidents, etc. can leave at will, then players should be able to decide where they want to be. Question is why they want to leave a great education and allegedly a great environment. They all are decent players but not like any of them are in zipcode of a NBA or even material professional look.

For Rice however, something is broken above/beyond the transfer portal. That is just the vehicle out. Question is why so many want to get into that vehicle in first place. I thought we had a players coach that was put in that job b/c he could attract and retain talent. The fact that we are doing neither at the present time is cause for major concern.

Rice can tout all the success it wants in sports not named FB, MBB or Baseball but reality is those three are 10x more important than all the others combined to get to the bigger prize of a better lot in life vs. languishing in C-USA.

Look at where this MBB program is vs. 5-years ago, 10-years ago, and 20-years ago. Very difficult to make an argument that it is the same let alone a better place. Results have not just been flat-lined against an already low bar. They have regressed.

So many other examples of D-1 MBB programs that have gotten over-the-hump and other Rice athletic programs that have done so as well. The issues here are Rice MBB specific.

Need JK or Pera to sell some hope b/c the results on-the-court and now off-the-court paint a bad picture. Someone needs to explain why the reality is different than the really bad optics here.

Taking it at face-value, it looks like a dumpster fire.

Is this the time to re-engage McKinsey, ask them to also specifically benchmark Rice versus Tulane, and consider dropping to Division 3?

We’ve been told the goal posts have been moved (so to speak) in football, and basketball needs to be the focus. Now the basketball (and likely baseball) landscape is forever changed. Can Rice succeed? How is success quantified? What specific steps can we take to look like our private school peers such as Tulane? Or are the external factors (C-USA) too difficult for us to overcome?
04-02-2020 08:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.