ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CAA became a really good conference ...
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
Especially from 2006 - 2012. What was it that made it so? Could another regional conference have a chance of replicating that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-27-2020 10:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: CAA became a really good conference ...
It really wasnt. In 06 Mason was the exception.

I think people remember it being better than it was.
03-27-2020 11:45 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(03-27-2020 11:45 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  It really wasnt. In 06 Mason was the exception.

Totally agree...most.of the time it was the best of the one bid leagues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2020 01:01 AM by BigBlueMonarch.)
03-28-2020 01:01 AM
ODU-FAN Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Old Dominion!
(03-27-2020 11:45 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  It really wasnt. In 06 Mason was the exception.

You don’t know what you are talking about. The top tier of the CAA was very very good for a long stretch. We had two make it to the final four. Hell, it took Butler a last second tip in to beat ODU in 2011 and that Butler team went to the final four that year. The top of the CAA: ODU, GMU, VCU and Drexel could compete with anyone in the country during that stretch, and did. You guys act like you know everything. That’s why I don’t even enjoy these boards any longer.

And another thing. Razor is Right most of the time. He speaks the truth even if most people on here refuse to accept it. I’m done now. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2020 07:24 AM by ODU-FAN.)
03-28-2020 07:23 AM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

The CAA was very good and we can add Hofstra to that list. Also Northeastern.

03-28-2020 07:33 AM
odufansam Offline
1st String

The bottom half of the conference was terrible similar to CUSA, but the top schools could
compete with anyone. Big OOC wins were more frequent. That’s the major difference. Middle Tennessee’s run a few years ago was the quality basketball we need out of this conference. They were a balanced, athletic team that could play with anyone.
03-28-2020 08:49 AM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2020 07:33 AM)ODU1986 Wrote:  The CAA was very good and we can add Hofstra to that list. Also Northeastern.

And Drexel and UNCW has their moments too. Maybe UNCW, Charleston, Ga St, App St and JMU would join CUSA East as a stand alone conference. Obviously 2 would be w/o football.
03-28-2020 08:55 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

It was a three bid league one year. That’s great for a non money conference. It was right there in the conversation with the A10 and MVC. The CAA should have made a power move and tried to get GW, Davidson and Richmond to join them first.
03-28-2020 09:00 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Just using 3 best teams:

06-

Mason-22
UNW- 42
Hofstra- 63

07-
VCU-52
ODU- 64
Drexel- 73

08-
VCU-68
MAson- 80
ODU- 118

09-
VCU-54
Mason- 89
ODU-93

10-
ODU-37
NE- 71
W&M- 107

11-
Mason- 24
ODu- 48
VCU- 53

Just as a frame of reference bc the CAA was better than CUSA is now.

The 3 top teams in CUSA in 2018 were MTSU-45, WKY-47, and ODU- 64
03-28-2020 09:15 AM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

The CAA was a good league if you liked watching the Monarchs play in person. You could easily drive to Philadelphia, Newark, De., Towson, Fairfax, Harrisonburg, Richmond, Williamsburg, and Wilmington, NC. When last did you drive to San Antonio or any of the other remote outposts in our current league? Recognizing that Fairfax and Richmond are now gone but they were replaced with other reachable places where you could root for you Monarchs in person. Yep basketball was a lot more fun back then.
03-28-2020 12:10 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2020 12:10 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  Yep basketball was a lot more fun back then.

It can get that way again if we join the A10 and have football be independent.
03-28-2020 01:25 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2020 12:10 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  The CAA was a good league if you liked watching the Monarchs play in person. You could easily drive to Philadelphia, Newark, De., Towson, Fairfax, Harrisonburg, Richmond, Williamsburg, and Wilmington, NC. When last did you drive to San Antonio or any of the other remote outposts in our current league? Recognizing that Fairfax and Richmond are now gone but they were replaced with other reachable places where you could root for you Monarchs in person. Yep basketball was a lot more fun back then.

I think if you take VCU out of the equation, it becomes a lot less fun, and if you take W&M or George Mason out, it's basically the NEC. That particular stretch was fun, but unsustainable because a) the CAA was a one-bid league before and after that (and certainly right now), and b) the programs that got it to that level (ODU, VCU, Mason) had ambitions that outstripped the CAA's. Yeah, today's CAA has closer teams than CUSA, but we already play JMU and W&M, and other than Charleston (with which we've never shared affiliation), nobody there gets my blood going any more than the Texas or Florida CUSA schools.
03-28-2020 03:05 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(03-28-2020 03:05 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(03-28-2020 12:10 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  The CAA was a good league if you liked watching the Monarchs play in person. You could easily drive to Philadelphia, Newark, De., Towson, Fairfax, Harrisonburg, Richmond, Williamsburg, and Wilmington, NC. When last did you drive to San Antonio or any of the other remote outposts in our current league? Recognizing that Fairfax and Richmond are now gone but they were replaced with other reachable places where you could root for you Monarchs in person. Yep basketball was a lot more fun back then.

I think if you take VCU out of the equation, it becomes a lot less fun, and if you take W&M or George Mason out, it's basically the NEC. That particular stretch was fun, but unsustainable because a) the CAA was a one-bid league before and after that (and certainly right now), and b) the programs that got it to that level (ODU, VCU, Mason) had ambitions that outstripped the CAA's. Yeah, today's CAA has closer teams than CUSA, but we already play JMU and W&M, and other than Charleston (with which we've never shared affiliation), nobody there gets my blood going any more than the Texas or Florida CUSA schools.

My blood got pumping by being able to see my team play in person.
03-28-2020 03:45 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

(03-28-2020 09:15 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Just using 3 best teams:

06-

Mason-22
UNW- 42
Hofstra- 63

07-
VCU-52
ODU- 64
Drexel- 73

08-
VCU-68
MAson- 80
ODU- 118

09-
VCU-54
Mason- 89
ODU-93

10-
ODU-37
NE- 71
W&M- 107

11-
Mason- 24
ODu- 48
VCU- 53

You are the worse cherry picker of absolutely meaningless stats I’ve EVER seen.

Why did you pick 2018? Why not last year or this year or the prior 2 years to 2018?

Oh right because it destroys your argument.

Clown.
03-28-2020 04:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2020 03:45 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  

Home games?

Realistically, how many road games are you likely to go to in the old-school CAA on an average year? Midweek games aren't happening except for W&M and maybe VCU. Some of those weekend games are in Boston and Long Island and Philly and Wilmington, so those aren't super likely. It's not like the CAA was a bus league just because it had a smaller footprint than CUSA.
03-28-2020 04:43 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

W&M, VCU, and JMU every year. Went to GMU several times and watched us get slaughtered so stopped making that trip. Went to Drexel once and UNCW twice. Went to all but 2 ODU CAAT games from 2004 to 2011. One miss was the championship game vs W&M because I had a proposal due and couldn't get out of work. Another was one we lost to GMU and I had a funeral to get to. If you want to take lemons and make lemonade in this schit conference, more power to you. But please stop pretending it is the same.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2020 08:14 PM by EverRespect.)
03-28-2020 08:14 PM
Advertisement

DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

We didn't know how good we had it, with the Brown Dump. It was great being able to make the CAAT games a day trip and we had huge crowds when the Va teams matched up. I don't see the band getting back together.
03-28-2020 11:17 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(03-28-2020 04:43 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(03-28-2020 03:45 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  

Home games?

Realistically, how many road games are you likely to go to in the old-school CAA on an average year? Midweek games aren't happening except for W&M and maybe VCU. Some of those weekend games are in Boston and Long Island and Philly and Wilmington, so those aren't super likely. It's not like the CAA was a bus league just because it had a smaller footprint than CUSA.

Realistically we probably averaged 6 to 6 1/2 road games a year. Even made it to Georgia State and Northeastern once apiece. If you are a fan you make the effort with bad weather/travel condition being the main limiting factor. Hell, Atlanta or Boston would be short trips compared to CUSA.
03-29-2020 09:08 AM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

And almost 50,000 fans at the last few CAA Tournaments .....

03-29-2020 09:42 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(03-28-2020 09:15 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Just using 3 best teams:

06-

Mason-22
UNW- 42
Hofstra- 63

07-
VCU-52
ODU- 64
Drexel- 73

08-
VCU-68
MAson- 80
ODU- 118

09-
VCU-54
Mason- 89
ODU-93

10-
ODU-37
NE- 71
W&M- 107

11-
Mason- 24
ODu- 48
VCU- 53

So CUSA's best in its current form was still not as good as old CAA. I think that kind of proves the point.

That 6 year stretch is much better than any stretch CUSA has had in its current form too.
03-29-2020 12:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.