[COVID-19 MEGATHREAD]
Bookmark and Share
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

I Root For: Memphis
At [COVID-19 MEGATHREAD]
[Let's try this again]

ALL COVID-19 DISCUSSIONS - PLEASE POST IN THIS ONE THREAD

If you are thinking about creating a thread in the main DF forum on anything directly relating to or slightly referring to COVID-19, even if it is Tigers related or the discussion of the thread moves in that direction, it will get moved to NTR and/or the Poeple's Forum. Please report posts if you see this happening and the MOD team will take the appropriate action.

So, from this point forward, please post in this thread. The MOD team would appreciate it.

Keep it civil folks. Lives are in the balance.
03-25-2020 11:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: TigerBasketball
RE: [COVID-19 MEGATHREAD]
Whah hoppon???
03-25-2020 11:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
snowtiger Away
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: METACOGNITION
Im just glad it’s gone . And glad to see Diego is ok too
03-25-2020 11:57 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: TigerBasketball
Nvmnd.... I found it. Lying dead on the floor...
03-26-2020 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

(03-25-2020 11:57 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  Im just glad it’s gone . And glad to see Diego is ok too

Got out today to walk to my local grocery store/market in Nob Hill ... good to get some fresh air here in SF. Still, so eerily quiet! Might have to do this for the entire month of April as well!!!
03-26-2020 12:12 AM
450bench Offline

It’s kinda like an old ghost town movie made about the future. You can almost hear Charlton Heston...
03-26-2020 07:34 AM
Advertisement

BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners

03-26-2020 08:23 AM
snowtiger Away
Hall of Flamers

We're entering the ice age here. maybe it's a message to 'chill' lol.
[Image: 91158881_10219719846658229_3464047980724...e=5EA3438E]
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020 10:46 AM by snowtiger.)
03-26-2020 10:33 AM
Unionman76 Offline
All American

paul tudor jones was on cnbc this morning (born and raised in memphis)

he had some predictions

on covid, in the usa, 600,000 to 700,000 cases
16,000 dead

but said the economy shutdown could result in 200,000 dead
(don't know where he got those numbers, mention suicides, opioid use)

he was on a conference call with trump and pence this week
03-26-2020 10:46 AM
snowtiger Away
Hall of Flamers

Everybody's got his/her own agenda. Even in a catastrophe.

I see new lines being drawn and new factions forming. Fascinating.

One thing that's weirdly interesting-- this viroid doesn't discriminate. Everyone from Harvey Weinstein to Prince Charles to Kevin Durant

As of today, the U.S. death rate is over 1000, and most states have not begun to peak.

16000 is a very low prediction....as predictions go.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020 11:41 AM by snowtiger.)
03-26-2020 10:56 AM
tiger-viper Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
this whole covid-19 vs suicide/opioid death toll is idiotic. people who od and commit suicide have a choice to do so. i realize addiction plays a role, but a choice was made somewhere down the road. most people dying of covid-19 did not choose to contract coronavirus.
03-26-2020 11:00 AM
Advertisement

snowtiger Away
Hall of Flamers

It's meant to support the 'go back to work now' idea, though.

I saw where The Mayor of Tupelo Mississippi ordered everyone to work from home and got unanimous approval from his city council, but the Gov of Miss said get yo asses back to work. I'm in charge here.

That's wild stuff. Governor vs Mayor.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020 11:14 AM by snowtiger.)
03-26-2020 11:07 AM
snowtiger Away
Hall of Flamers

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who issued a stay-at-home order last week, said it's likely the measure will remain in place over the next two or three months.
"I think April for California would be sooner than any of the experts that I talked to would believe is possible," he said.

mean while, In Kentucky..

At least one person in Kentucky is infected after taking part at a "coronavirus party" with a group of young adults, Gov. Andy Beshear said Tuesday.

The partygoers intentionally got together "thinking they were invincible" and purposely defying state guidance to practice social distancing, Bashear said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/ke...index.html
"This is one that makes me mad," the governor said. "We have to be much better than that."
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020 11:47 AM by snowtiger.)
03-26-2020 11:45 AM
Stammers Online
Legend

(03-26-2020 11:45 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who issued a stay-at-home order last week, said it's likely the measure will remain in place over the next two or three months.
"I think April for California would be sooner than any of the experts that I talked to would believe is possible," he said.

mean while, In Kentucky..

At least one person in Kentucky is infected after taking part at a "coronavirus party" with a group of young adults, Gov. Andy Beshear said Tuesday.

The partygoers intentionally got together "thinking they were invincible" and purposely defying state guidance to practice social distancing, Bashear said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/ke...index.html
"This is one that makes me mad," the governor said. "We have to be much better than that."

People have known about it and had info drilled into their heads for 2 months now. Easily the worst thing about the virus is that everyone is at the mercy of the lowest of the low on the food chain. If you physically jailed the bottom 10% of the population that has zero common sense, we wouldn't be anywhere near the trouble we are in right now.
03-26-2020 12:12 PM
tiger-viper Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-26-2020 11:07 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  It's meant to support the 'go back to work now' idea, though.

I saw where The Mayor of Tupelo Mississippi ordered everyone to work from home and got unanimous approval from his city council, but the Gov of Miss said get yo asses back to work. I'm in charge here.

i’d be telling that governor to go piss up a rope.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020 12:47 PM by tiger-viper.)
03-26-2020 12:46 PM
Stammers Online
Legend

(03-26-2020 10:56 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  Everybody's got his/her own agenda. Even in a catastrophe.

One thing that's weirdly interesting-- this viroid doesn't discriminate. Everyone from Harvey Weinstein to Prince Charles to Kevin Durant

As of today, the U.S. death rate is over 1000, and most states have not begun to peak.

And yet there is a lot of hope. You have 38 states with under 1,000 cases, 32 states with less than 500 cases, 43 states with less than 20 deaths and 33 states with less than 10 deaths.

I'm curious about what you are basing your statement about a prediction of most states not peaking, and 16,000 being low.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020 12:53 PM by Stammers.)
03-26-2020 12:47 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Away
Hall of Flamers

(03-26-2020 12:47 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(03-26-2020 10:56 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  Everybody's got his/her own agenda. Even in a catastrophe.

And yet there is a lot of hope. You have 38 states with under 1,000 cases, 32 states with less than 500 cases, 43 states with less than 20 deaths and 33 states with less than 10 deaths.

I'm curious about what you are basing your statement about a prediction of 16,000 being low.

In the realm of all predictions the 'experts' are giving us---16K is low for the United States

It's a very neutral statement on my part. You are trying to make it something arguable. I'm not in the mood to argue...The fact is I don't even enjoy it.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020 12:59 PM by snowtiger.)
03-26-2020 12:58 PM
Stammers Online
Legend

(03-26-2020 11:07 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  It's meant to support the 'go back to work now' idea, though.

I've done a search for the last hour and haven't seen anything attributed to the governor that is close to this statement. If you have a link I would love to see it.
03-26-2020 01:01 PM
Stammers Online
Legend

(03-26-2020 12:58 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(03-26-2020 12:47 PM)Stammers Wrote:  

I'm curious about what you are basing your statement about a prediction of 16,000 being low.

In the realm of all predictions the 'experts' are giving us---16K is low for the United States

It's a very neutral statement on my part. You are trying to make it something arguable. I'm not in the mood to argue...The fact is I don't even enjoy it.

I am being polite, I am asking reasonable questions about statements you are making, because I want to know what the facts are to help me know what the truth is.

I haven't even disputed anything you have said. How can that be an argument?
03-26-2020 01:04 PM
Stammers Online
Legend

(03-26-2020 12:46 PM)tiger-viper Wrote:  

i’d be telling that governor to go piss up a rope.

All I have seen so far is the governor saying that the state wouldn't be run like a dictatorship, and encouraging everyone to work from home. I haven't seen a quote from him telling everyone to physically go back to their place of employment.

The sticking point it seems, is that he seems to be including virtually every business as an essential service.

EDIT:
Found it! 90 minutes of searching the entire internet and only one measly quote to back it up. I should have started there in the first place.

Quote:Rachel Maddow
“So take, for example, the beautiful city of Tupelo, Mississippi,” said Maddow. “Birthplace of Elvis Presley, right? World famous. On Saturday, the mayor of Tupelo, Mississippi, ordered a stay-at-home order for that city. He banned gatherings of more than ten people. He ordered nonessential businesses to shut in Tupelo … yesterday, the city council in Tupelo met and in a unanimous bipartisan vote, they voted to affirm and ratify those rules that the mayor put in place in Tupelo. But today, the governor of Mississippi superseded that. Today, the governor of Mississippi said Tupelo and any other city or town in the state can’t do anything like that. Only his rules apply.”

There are dozens of sources where the governor explicitly says that the state isn't going to be run like a dictatorship like China; which directly contradicts Maddow, and he calls her statement "a dangerous lie."

Google Sources For Governor Saying Mississippi Would NOT Be Run Like a Dictatorship:
Axios
USNews.com
Business Insider
MSNBC (not Maddow)
Fox News
CNN
Clarion Ledger
Washington Post
Dozens of others

What Reeves said was that he encouraged people to work from home, was not ordering businesses to shut down, and was NOT overriding anyone in any town or city. Cities and towns in Mississippi including Tupelo have set their own guidelines without interference from the governor and without incident.

This is obviously a major difference from the governor telling everyone that they had to go to their place of employment to work and his orders superseded everyone else's. In my opinion Maddow was either misinformed or lying. Of course, people are free to believe what they want and draw their own conclusions.

One last thing on this just in case anyone thinks I am taking one side because of political leanings. I think Reeves is an idiot for not ordering everyone to stay home.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020 01:47 PM by Stammers.)
03-26-2020 01:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2020 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.