WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VanderWal
wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
VanderWal
A new member who is awaiting activation of his account provided me the following regarding VanderWal.

Enjoy:

“I’m from Marietta and an alum. If you’re not from the Marietta area, you cannot fathom what VanderWal has done here. MC won a TOTAL of 3 conference games in the 3 seasons before he arrived. In his 4th season they won the OAC regular season, OAC tourney and went to the Sweet 16. In the past 10 season, he’s won 5 consecutive OAC regular seasons (6 total), been to 8 NCAA tourneys, 4 Sweet 16s and 2 Elite 8s. The program had only won the OAC once and had 1 NCAA tourney appearance (both 1975).
2015 National COY.
Marietta is in BFE 2 hours from any semblance of a city or airport and costs $36,000 per year. He brings in players from Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami (FL), Naples (FL) with scholarship offers. Can you imagine putting him in a place like Kalamazoo and giving him scholarships! He’ll blow the doors off that place and I guarantee WMU will win the MAC within his first 4 years. We’ve been fortunate to keep him this long and you’ll be fortunate to get him…good luck!”

Also:

“ I meant to say the kids he gets had scholarship offers to other schools, but instead chose to pay Marietta’s crazy tuition to come play for him.”
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020 08:28 AM by wmutkelaw.)
03-24-2020 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BrewtownBronco Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU
RE: VanderWal
If this is true, I for one would be excited.
03-24-2020 11:47 AM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

...Probably not even on Kathy's radar.
03-24-2020 04:11 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

After all, you’re my VanderWal.
03-24-2020 05:34 PM
ess Offline
1st String

I Root For: The individual
(03-24-2020 05:34 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  After all, you’re my VanderWal.

04-clap2
03-24-2020 05:45 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Didn't we have a former baseball player from WMU named John VanderWahl who had a pretty good MLB career, especially as a pinch hitter?
03-24-2020 05:46 PM
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

Eldon Miller was an outstanding D3 Coach.
It took him 5 years to have winning MAC season record.
03-24-2020 07:52 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
I was there for his final two seasons. During the incredible season, I didn't miss a single home game. Even had a friend at UM that came to visit just so he could see them play. Those games were the highlight of my time in Kalamazoo. What an atmosphere. We'll never see that in Kalamazoo again. I'd be happy if the Broncos could build up the program enough to even draw half as much interest in terms of fans.

But yeah, it would be quite a transition for a coach and might take a few years. It also matters how many contacts he has in the coaching world and could he assemble a great staff? Every coach is different. We took a chance in football with a kooky character that believed his own b.s. and wanted to start new traditions. Most importantly he got the kids to believe. The result was a trip to Dallas I won't ever forget.

I think what this program needs is a young, energetic coach that can relate to his players and all he wants is a chance to prove himself at this level. Somebody who has a vision and can sell it. Win and the interest in the program will come back. Our teams had just gotten so predictable people lost interest, except the hardcore fans and there aren't enough of them and most of them are gray. We need a salesman in addition to a great teacher. Somebody who can get some student interest behind the program.
03-25-2020 01:15 AM
wmutkelaw Offline

More from the Marietta poster who is awaiting approval from the high ups:

Coach VanderWal dresses up in costumes when Midnight Madness falls on Halloween. The students chant “VanderWal, VanderWal…” during games. I’ve never seen a Coach touch a community like he has. His energy is infectious. Despite having 50% of the capacity of other programs, Marietta’s consistently been in the top 5 nationally in home attendance since he took over. The place absolutely rocks every night...not common in D-III
03-25-2020 06:19 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(03-24-2020 07:52 PM)okgc Wrote:  Eldon Miller was an outstanding D3 Coach.

A little misleading. He was 5-5 first two years. We hadn't had a winning MAC record in previous seven seasons.

Which tells you how bad our program was when he took over.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020 12:19 PM by MajorHoople.)
03-25-2020 07:22 AM
wmutkelaw Offline

Can WMU handle a coach who may attempt to change the culture? WMU hired a football coach who is successfully undoing all prior attempts/successes at changing the culture.
03-25-2020 07:35 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(03-25-2020 06:19 AM)wmutkelaw Wrote:  More from the Marietta poster who is awaiting approval from the high ups:

Coach VanderWal dresses up in costumes when Midnight Madness falls on Halloween. The students chant “VanderWal, VanderWal…” during games. I’ve never seen a Coach touch a community like he has. His energy is infectious. Despite having 50% of the capacity of other programs, Marietta’s consistently been in the top 5 nationally in home attendance since he took over. The place absolutely rocks every night...not common in D-III

A cute wife and kids are always a plus.
03-25-2020 12:58 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

Knowing there's a lot of good coaches out there makes me optimistic.

What do you all think of the former Bronco on staff w/ Missouri, Cornell Mann? Alma mater Akron, coached with Western, Central, Dayton, & Iowa St. Recruited Kool when he was in Kalamazoo.

(03-25-2020 06:19 AM)wmutkelaw Wrote:  More from the Marietta poster who is awaiting approval from the high ups:

I'm curious about Marietta's facilities. That he can win without the biggest arena is a good sign.

(03-24-2020 07:52 PM)okgc Wrote:  Eldon Miller was an outstanding D3 Coach.

Looks like he won the MAC, then went on to Ohio St & had moderate success there.

We got to look at this long-term. A coach who takes a few years to win the MAC is better then a coach who never does.
03-25-2020 04:39 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:After all, you’re my VanderWal.

.... clean up your mess ma'am, my name's not Paul!
03-25-2020 06:23 PM
HaymondAtThe4 Offline
2nd String

[Image: 42f20b84f33644729718e2f8ef7060b3_front.jpg]
03-25-2020 11:24 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

A lot of coaches like being at D-III - the atmosphere-environment (like coaching HS but with college kids) - and aren't looking to move up.

Vanderwal may be one of those.
03-26-2020 08:42 AM
Advertisement

cspence00 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MC Pioneers
Hello everyone, my name is Chad and I'm the mystery poster from Marietta. I have no stake in this, in fact, if Coach VanderWal doesn't get the position, that means we get to keep him! I just want WMU to know what I've witnessed over 13 seasons.

There's no doubt WMU's wish list includes a D-I assistant from a high-level program. But what shouldn't be overlooked is how a winner and fierce competitor like Coach VanderWal would approach this position. He has already built a national program from scratch. He's called every shot for 13 seasons. Plus, knowing him the way I do, he would have the biggest chip on his shoulder. He would be proving to everyone that he belongs in this world (which he absolutely does). You want energy, you'll get it!

This would be his shot...he'd have all his chips in this basket. If he fails (which he won't), he'll likely never get another look at a D-I position. If a high-level D-I assistant gets this, maybe he wins, maybe he doesn't, he can just go back to being a high-level D-I assistant. He could claim the facilities weren't the greatest or he didn't have the budget or staff he was used to at a big program. Who would have the greater motivation??? Coach VanderWal doesn't know how to fail.

VanderWal built his program with nothing but sheer determination (maybe delusion), the ability to make everyone (recruits, administrators, fans, etc.) believe in him and maybe one of the greatest basketball minds I've ever seen. This man will change WMU basketball...count on it!!
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2020 01:55 PM by cspence00.)
03-27-2020 01:46 PM
HaymondAtThe4 Offline
2nd String

I'm intrigued
03-27-2020 04:45 PM
wmutkelaw Offline

Unfortunately, we lack leadership in our administration that would be willing to take a risk. When Dunn retired, I think part of WMU died.

I look for a lame hire...I hope I’m proven wrong.
03-27-2020 08:42 PM
WMUPorter Offline
Special Teams

Is there any true connection here or is it just something that fans are hoping for?
03-27-2020 09:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.