Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Building a conference of independents
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Building a conference of independents
The Big Ten and SEC are college athletics’ two revenue monsters. The other 3 P5 leagues lag behind and are helpless to catch up.

But what if there was a way for their top programs to keep financial pace with the SEC and Big Ten. True independence is a tough road. Scheduling can get tricky plus you have to find a home for your Olympic sports. Plus the real financial windfall comes when you can leverage a network with a bundle of rights that include multiple attractive programs.

So let’s pull the top programs from the other conferences to form a conference that can financially contend with the Big 2. I’m thinking small is good and the number of conference games should be low to allow for regional OOC scheduling.

East:
Florida St
Clemson
VT
Oklahoma
Texas

West:
ND
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington

What are your thoughts and how would you structure a conference under similar premises? Any chance something like this might get off the ground?
03-23-2020 07:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Building a conference of independents
You don't need double representation in L.A. and ND would probably rather play most of their games in the east.

East:
Florida St
Clemson
VT
ND
Oklahoma
Texas

West:
Arizona
Colorado
Kansas
USC
Oregon
Washington

Or add some more basket ball mojo and have an east/west confederation :

East:
Duke
Florida St
Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Syracuse
VT
ND

West:
Arizona
Colorado
Kansas
USC
Oklahoma
Oregon
Texas
Washington
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020 12:55 PM by ChrisLords.)
03-25-2020 12:48 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
My concept was to think small rather than big, to concentrate the value of schools and maximize payouts. I’m thinking just 6 conference games so that schools have room to stay local with their OOC schedule.

I put ND in the West because they traditionally play an annual West coast away game in either LA or the Bay Area. In this case they’d play 2: LA annually, and then a game in the Pacific Northwest. USC is probably their biggest rival so it seemed fitting that those two should compete for a division title against each other.
03-25-2020 01:58 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-25-2020 12:48 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  You don't need double representation in L.A.
Agree, although Northern and Southern California are like 2 states, so to tap No. Cal. and to keep it small and give ND a reason for wanting this...

East:
Florida St
Clemson
VT
Oklahoma
Texas

West:
Notre Dame
Stanford
USC
Oregon
Washington

Note: Current rules require a full round-robin, so each team plays 9 conference games (like the current Big XII), though I assume they'd immediately seek a waiver.

Ironically, under the current rules you can play fewer games if you go to 12 members, so...

East:
Florida St
Clemson
VT
Oklahoma
Texas
Louisville

West:
Notre Dame
Stanford
USC
Oregon
Washington
Arizona

Play the 5 teams in your own division plus 2 random crossovers = 7 games; leaves 5 non-conference games (and since this takes care of 2 of Notre Dame's annual opponents, they only need Navy and still have 4 to work with... yes, I know, Terry!).
03-29-2020 11:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(03-29-2020 11:30 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(03-25-2020 12:48 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  You don't need double representation in L.A.
Agree, although Northern and Southern California are like 2 states, so to tap No. Cal. and to keep it small and give ND a reason for wanting this...

East:
Florida St
Clemson
VT
Oklahoma
Texas

West:
Notre Dame
Stanford
USC
Oregon
Washington

Note: Current rules require a full round-robin, so each team plays 9 conference games (like the current Big XII), though I assume they'd immediately seek a waiver.

No, they can play 8 conference games under the current rules. The Sun Belt does. That's why they split into divisions even with 10 FB schools.
03-29-2020 11:45 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-29-2020 11:45 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(03-29-2020 11:30 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

East:
Florida St
Clemson
VT
Oklahoma
Texas

West:
Notre Dame
Stanford
USC
Oregon
Washington

No, they can play 8 conference games under the current rules. The Sun Belt does. That's why they split into divisions even with 10 FB schools.

I stand corrected.

Quote:Under current rules, FBS conferences must have at least 12 members, and championship games must be between the winners of two divisions within the conference. Each division must play a round-robin schedule during the regular season in order to hold a championship game.

Council members adopted a proposal that originated with the Division I Football Oversight Committee but also approved an amendment from the Big Ten Conference. The amendment, offered by the Big Ten late last week, allows conferences with fewer than 12 members to hold championship games in football, as long as they meet one of two additional conditions: Conferences that want to play championship games must either play their championship game between division winners after round-robin competition in each division or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition between all members of the conference.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 01:49 PM by Hokie Mark.)
03-29-2020 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.