Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Study: Anti-malarial + antibiotic could reduce Covid-19 duration
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
French study finds anti-malarial and antibiotic combo could reduce COVID-19 duration
by Darrell Etherington@etherington / 11:12 am EDT • March 19, 2020

A new study whose results were published in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents has found early evidence that the combination of hydroxychloroquine, a popular anti-malaria drug known under the trade name Plaqenuil, and antibiotic azithromycin (aka Zithromax or Azithrocin) could be especially effective in treating the COVID-19 coronavirus and reducing the duration of the virus in patients.

The researchers performed a study on 30 confirmed COVID-19 patients, treating each with either hydroxychloroquine on its own, a combination of the medicine with the antibiotic, as well as a control group that received neither. The study was conducted after reports from treatment of Chinese patients indicated that this particular combo had efficacy in shortening the duration of infection in patients.

The patient mix included in the study included six who showed no symptoms whatsoever, as well as 22 who had symptoms in their upper respiratory tract (things like sneezing, headaches and sore throats, and eight who showed lower respiratory tract symptoms (mostly coughing). 20 of the 30 participants in the study received treatment, and the results showed that while hydroxycholoroquine was effective on its own as a treatment, when combined with azithromycin it was even more effective, and by a significant margin.

[Image: Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA-24-1038x553-1.jpg]

Read more here:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/french...-duration/
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2020 09:49 AM by TripleA.)
03-21-2020 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Study: Anti-malarial + antibiotic could reduce Covid-19 duration
Tough break being a test subject. Controls. Yikes.

I want in the green group
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2020 09:52 AM by shere khan.)
03-21-2020 09:50 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-21-2020 09:50 AM)shere khan Wrote:  Tough break being a test subject. Controls. Yikes.

The two meds used are old ones (decades in use) with proven tolerable side effects.

If you don't have CV-19, it doesn't do anything. If you do have it, and were given both, it reduced the duration to 5 days, vs. up to 14 or more.

If you had the virus and were given just one, it reduced it somewhat.

If you had the virus and didn't get either, it just ran its normal course.

What's not to like?
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2020 09:56 AM by TripleA.)
03-21-2020 09:56 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Get this on the street ASAP. Trump is right to tell FDA to expedite, expedite, expedite.

The good news is that these are things that have been in use for some time, so any side effects should be well documented, which cuts the clinical trial process down by a bunch.

And frankly, if I'm dying of CV-19 (I'm not) then I want it, and if it makes hair grow out of my eyeballs then I'll deal with that later.
03-21-2020 09:56 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-21-2020 09:50 AM)shere khan Wrote:  Tough break being a test subject. Controls. Yikes.

I hear ya. That would be me. All the other subjects getting better and my ass still sick watching them play cards, laughin it up and sh*t.
03-21-2020 09:59 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(03-21-2020 09:56 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

The two meds used are old ones (decades in use) with proven tolerable side effects.

If you don't have CV-19, it doesn't do anything. If you do have it, and were given both, it reduced the duration to 5 days, vs. up to 14 or more.

What's not to like?

True. Still want to be on the green. Lol
03-21-2020 10:00 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-21-2020 10:00 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

What's not to like?

True. Still want to be on the green. Lol

So do all of us. But the sooner we find a treatment, the better. Vaccines are too far off. Finding existing drugs that work as a treatment after the fact are a better solution, quicker.
03-21-2020 10:04 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2020 09:56 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Get this on the street ASAP. Trump is right to tell FDA to expedite, expedite, expedite.

The good news is that these are things that have been in use for some time, so any side effects should be well documented, which cuts the clinical trial process down by a bunch.

And frankly, if I'm dying of CV-19 (I'm not) then I want it, and if it makes hair grow out of my eyeballs then I'll deal with that later.

There are no side effects to either drug. Everybody has had a a Zpack. I was saying that was always the drug of choice for those bad sinus infections when nothing else works. And the other drug is being used as a prophylactic against malaria for use in Africa, and has just about gotten rid of it.
03-21-2020 10:04 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-21-2020 09:59 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  

I hear ya. That would be me. All the other subjects getting better and my ass still sick watching them play cards, laughin it up and sh*t.

Then when the study's over, ask for the stuff that worked, lol.
03-21-2020 10:05 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(03-21-2020 10:04 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 09:56 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Get this on the street ASAP. Trump is right to tell FDA to expedite, expedite, expedite.

There are no side effects to either drug. Everybody has had a a Zpack. I was saying that was always the drug of choice for those bad sinus infections when nothing else works. And the other drug is being used as a prophylactic against malaria for use in Africa, and has just about gotten rid of it.

I have two patients that are regulars at my pharmacy who are now blind from plaquenil...
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2020 10:24 AM by UofMemphis.)
03-21-2020 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2020 10:23 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

I have two patients that are regulars at my pharmacy who are now blind from plaquenil...

Lupus patients?
03-21-2020 10:30 AM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis

Then I expect you to refuse to take it so that suopplies can be freed up for everyone else.
03-21-2020 10:46 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(03-21-2020 10:30 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  

Lupus patients?

Probably. Thats like saying 100% of the people who take tylenol eventually die.
03-21-2020 10:48 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

So, since the cisco tech who never worked in IT, but became a security guard then transitioned into a pharmacy tech is now hiding from his post, lets get the facts straight. Plaquenil can cause retinal damage for some patients who take very high doses and/or take it for a very long time. Neither are the use case for Covid 19. These would be cases for those with lupus, RA, or other diseases which require taking the medication for a very long time.
03-21-2020 11:02 AM
CapCityTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(03-21-2020 11:02 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

So, since the cisco tech who never worked in IT, but became a security guard then transitioned into a pharmacy tech is now hiding from his post, lets get the facts straight. Plaquenil can cause retinal damage for some patients who take very high doses and/or take it for a very long time. Neither are the use case for Covid 19. These would be cases for those with lupus, RA, or other diseases which require taking the medication for a very long time.

Didn't he work at Fresh Market too?
03-21-2020 11:15 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
I heard this on the overnight news. Good to hear if true. makes all this shutdown worth it? Nope, but maybe we can go ahead and end it sooner than they thought and just treat those who get sick if these medicines are in easy reach and good supply. Are they? Get those engines restarted!

03-21-2020 11:17 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-21-2020 11:17 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  I heard this on the overnight news. Good to hear if true. makes all this shutdown worth it? Nope, but maybe we can go ahead and end it sooner than they thought and just treat those who get sick if these medicines are in easy reach and good supply. Are they? Get those engines restarted!

I heard somebody last night say they are old medicines in ample supply, but I'm sure the ingredients are made in China, lol.
03-21-2020 11:56 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(03-21-2020 11:56 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 11:17 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  I heard this on the overnight news. Good to hear if true. makes all this shutdown worth it? Nope, but maybe we can go ahead and end it sooner than they thought and just treat those who get sick if these medicines are in easy reach and good supply. Are they? Get those engines restarted!

I heard somebody last night say they are old medicines in ample supply, but I'm sure the ingredients are made in China, lol.

Looks like, besides the millions of doses Trump ordered from Bayer, that Israels TECA is making 6million doses available to the US. They have already scaled up production going forward.

https://apnews.com/Business%20Wire/8075f...6b528202e0
03-21-2020 12:09 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom

What's not to like?

Being randomly chosen to be in the control/placebo group.

I get what he’s saying, I had the same kinda thoughts.

I’d try to go all “Hollyweird Hustle” and buy my way into the group getting both drugs!
03-21-2020 02:21 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom

Bayer has already donated between 2-4 million doses and were shipping them out all across the land starting around last Wednesday or so.

New Compassionate Care” and “Right to try” laws (thanks Trump!) allows you to simply sign a waiver, I’m guessing a hold harmless type deal and you can get a Rx right there from the Doc.

Hairy eyeballs not needed!
03-21-2020 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.