Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Golden Flashes Of Old Series: Scott Cutley
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Golden Flashes Of Old Series: Scott Cutley
I imagine that many of us will get a little bored now that social distancing is reaching far into the realm of sports. So I have decided to start a thread like this every now and then for us Kent fans to share memories of players and games past.

I randomly decided to start with a player that left Kent State way too early. Scott Cutley was a tough ball player. Never to be mistaken for a stretch four, Cutley's job was to do dirty work. I will check stats later if this discussion takes off but I have fond memories of watching him during the 03-04 and 04-05 seasons. He had an edge.

Feel free to share what you remember or just shoot the breeze about Scott Cutley on this thread!
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 02:13 PM by fallsdog.)
03-16-2020 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
RE: Golden Flashes Of Old Series: Scott Cutley
Dude was the best charge drawer I've ever seen. He also had some interesting HS connections. I believe his HS team was named LA Westchester or something like that. He played with Trevor Ariza and I think someone else that made the NBA (Bobby Brown maybe?). Not too long ago I read a Players Tribune article by Darius Miles and Quinton Richardson talking about their early days with the clippers. They were both teenagers and that HS team was a powerhouse in the area so they ended up spending a lot of time hanging out with that team. Cutley's name didn't specicaly come up in the article but it was for sure his team.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 03:32 PM by anti-zip.)
03-16-2020 03:14 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Oh yeah, that team was mentioned in that article because they were the actual origin of Miles and Q's celebration where they'd hit their hands on their head. I'll try to find the article later but it was pretty cool. That celebration blew up at the time and I think this recent article was the first time they publicly revealed where it came from.
03-16-2020 03:16 PM
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

Here's the article. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/...rius-miles
Amazing headline too. "What the hell happened to Darius Miles? by Darius Miles."

Hassan Adams, that was the other NBA player I was forgetting off that team. Pretty crazy to think St. V's and LBJ went and beat that team. They had Ariza and two other players that played in the NBA plus Cutley who was arguable as good or better than the 2nd best player on St. V's team. That must've been a crazy team to watch. Anyways, here's the excerpt I was talking about:

"Man, we heard everything over the years. Every theory in the book. Some people thought it was a gang sign, some people thought it had something to do with aliens, some people thought it was a sign of disrespect. It was none of that. For whatever reason, we decided early on to keep it between us.

The real story is this.… We were so young that we couldn’t really go to the clubs, so we used drive around L.A. going to high school basketball games. We always used to go to Westchester High games because they had the prettiest girls.

Editor’s note: Yo! I was trying to go to the club. But D used to drag me to these games on his young-boy ****, and he would literally have these high school girls thinking they were about to go to prom with a Clipper.

I’m 18. I’m in my element, you know? I’ll mess around and go to prom. Why not? Anyway, it wasn’t just about the girls. Westchester had a really good team, so we used to go watch Trevor Ariza and Hassan Adams and Bobby Brown and those boys. I don’t know how it got started, but they’d throw up their fists after they made a three.

So we’d be hanging with them, and they’d be like, “Come on, when you gonna shout us out? You gotta do it. Show us some love.”

So cut to me dunking the **** out of the ball, or Q hitting a big three-pointer or something, I can’t even remember, and one of us throws it up. Two taps to the head. For them boys from Westchester High."
03-16-2020 03:32 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
I really liked Cutley and hated to see him go. He was tough and had tremendous basketball smarts.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 04:39 PM by Muskrat.)
03-16-2020 04:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.