PAC 12: 14 SCHOOLS
Additions - SDSU, UNLV, Fresno State

THE AMERICAN: 12 SCHOOLS
Additions - BYU, Boise State, Air Force, Florida Atlantic

MOUNTAIN WEST: 10 SCHOOLS
Additions - UTEP, New Mexico State, Idaho

CONFERENCE USA: 12 SCHOOLS
No Additions

STANDING PAT: BIG 10 (14), SEC (14), ACC (14), MAC (12), SUNBELT (10)
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2020 06:25 AM by SMUstang.)
03-15-2020 05:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
RE: 2024 Conference Realignment
I don't think the Big 12, if they ever do expand, takes another Texas team without an existing one leaving. I think they'd take usf instead and double down on the Florida foothold, also prevents UCF from being on an island like West Virginia currently is.
03-25-2020 08:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Go to the lounge “college sports and conference realignment” for updates to this post.
03-26-2020 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(03-25-2020 08:20 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  I don't think the Big 12, if they ever do expand, takes another Texas team without an existing one leaving. I think they'd take usf instead and double down on the Florida foothold, also prevents UCF from being on an island like West Virginia currently is.

Makes sense. 1/3 of the schools are from Texas now, and they don't want to become a Texas conference like the SWC, which didn't make it into the 21st C.

Losing Colorado and Missouri may have really hurt the Big-12, because it confined them to a narrow vertical band of States between the Mississippi and the Rockies, with the sole exception of WVa, a low population State.

If they decide to expand (but UT may tend to veto those suggestions), it might be wise to go slightly east of the Mississippi or west into the Rockies.
03-28-2020 03:34 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(03-15-2020 05:38 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  BIG XII: 14 SCHOOLS
Additions - Colorado, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF

PAC 12: 14 SCHOOLS
Additions - SDSU, UNLV, Fresno State

THE AMERICAN: 12 SCHOOLS
Additions - BYU, Boise State, Air Force, Florida Atlantic

MOUNTAIN WEST: 10 SCHOOLS
Additions - UTEP, New Mexico State, Idaho

CONFERENCE USA: 12 SCHOOLS
No Additions

STANDING PAT: BIG 10 (14), SEC (14), ACC (14), MAC (12), SUNBELT (10)

1) If the Big 12 had wanted to, it could have added at least 3 of those schools a couple of years back when they welcomed applications and developed a formal short list, only to reject all the applicants.

2) Colorado found it was in their best interests to move to the PAC, and I doubt that they're having any regrets. UT won't want to pay them enough money to pull them back in.

3) PAC: SDSU is the only seeming no-brainer on the list, but the elite UC schools won't be happy to add a "California State University" to the roster.

(maybe, if they could get SDSU to merge with UCSD....)

4) THE AMERICAN: The MWC schools have a new 6 year contract, lowering the $$ benefit of joining the AAC. BYU's P5 or bust, and FAU doesn't meet the national brand or competitiveness criteria. FAU could only sneak in if UCF or USF splits.

5) Will all the others stand pat? Maybe every conference will stand pat, but the odds are probably for at least a couple of schools to switch conferences at some point.
03-28-2020 03:42 PM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Please go to to the "College Sports and Conference Realignment" board in the "Lounge" for the latest updates on this post.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2020 07:39 PM by SMUstang.)
03-28-2020 07:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.