Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

How i would make tournament selections
Bookmark and Share
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
How i would make tournament selections
Working on a way to get rid of the NCAA selection committee and eliminate P5 bias in the selection of tournament teams.

1) Give teams one point for every win.

2) Give net ratings points based on the following formula.

Positions 1-10=5 points
Positions 11-20=4 points
Positions 21-30=3 points
Positions 31-40=2 points
Positions 41-50=1 point

3) Quad points
4 points for every quad 1 win, -1 for every quad 1 loss
3 points for every quad 2 win, -2 for every quad 2 loss
2 points for every quad 3 win, -3 for every quad 3 loss
1 point for every quad 4 win, -4 for every quad 4 loss

4)Selection
Total earned points for every team based on this formula.

You get your automatic qualifiers for the conference tournament title and the remaining at large selections are based on points earned of remaining teams.

Tiebreaker goes to the team with the higher quad score.

Seeding is based on points for each team qualified for the tournament.

That way the name on the front of the jersey has no bearing on selection.
03-14-2020 09:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: How i would make tournament selections
(03-14-2020 09:49 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Working on a way to get rid of the NCAA selection committee and eliminate P5 bias in the selection of tournament teams.

Positions 1-10=5 points
Positions 11-20=4 points
Positions 21-30=3 points
Positions 31-40=2 points
Positions 41-50=1 point

3) Quad points

4)Selection

You get your automatic qualifiers for the conference tournament title and the remaining at large selections are based on points earned of remaining teams.

I don't know if that is the exact way to do it, but getting rid of the bias is a good idea.

Other ideas :

Go to 128 teams.

Split the money equally amongst all D1 teams. Less incentive to 'rig' the selection process that way.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2020 11:31 AM by 72Tiger.)
03-14-2020 11:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

This year's results in AAC
Houston........ 69
Wichita St..... 59
Cincinnati..... 51
Memphis...... 48
Tulsa.............45
U Conn........ 35
SMU ............35
UCF..............15
USF................8
Temple...........6
Tulane...........-5
ECU............-23
03-14-2020 10:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
(03-14-2020 11:31 AM)72Tiger Wrote:  
(03-14-2020 09:49 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Working on a way to get rid of the NCAA selection committee and eliminate P5 bias in the selection of tournament teams.

Positions 1-10=5 points
Positions 11-20=4 points
Positions 21-30=3 points
Positions 31-40=2 points
Positions 41-50=1 point

3) Quad points

4)Selection

I don't know if that is the exact way to do it, but getting rid of the bias is a good idea.

Other ideas :

Go to 128 teams.

Split the money equally amongst all D1 teams. Less incentive to 'rig' the selection process that way.

Hell to the No
03-14-2020 11:11 PM
Advertisement

AlonsoWDC Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
I'll take the devil I know, please.

Soon enough, we wouldn't have any high-profile OOC games because nobody would want to schedule us.
03-15-2020 01:25 AM
Tiger87 Online
Hall of Famer

Can't do any formula-basis with the unbalanced SOS and conferences.
If you want a radical overhaul, just do away with conference tourneys and have a fully seeded tournament with all 350 teams. Spread the first 3 rounds over the normal conference tourney week. At the end of the week, you can be down to the normal 64 teams.
Then the only controversial element is the seeding. Guarantee regular season champs from all 32ish conferences a first round bye and top 64ish seed. Use a composite ranking to seed everyone else.
03-15-2020 06:29 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

Reviewing it I am seeing that Quad numbers may have too much of a bearing on the final number.

So I will be playing with the points per win ratio to apply a greater value on wins to see how that plays out.

Or maybe go back to my original format which put a smaller emphasis on Quad.

It will be a continuous work in progress.

It gives me something to do since almost all sports are on temporary suspension.
03-15-2020 07:03 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(03-15-2020 07:03 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Reviewing it I am seeing that Quad numbers may have too much of a bearing on the final number.

So I will be playing with the points per win ratio to apply a greater value on wins to see how that plays out.

It gives me something to do since almost all sports are on temporary suspension.
Yep Q1 wins are just too heavily skewed in favor of power leagues because teams in those leagues usually stack up wins OOC and get multiple opportunities for Q1 wins @ home.

Memphis had 1 Q1 opportunity @ home and won the game.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2020 09:24 PM by macgar32.)
03-15-2020 09:24 PM
GoDownSwinging Offline
Special Teams

(03-15-2020 09:24 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:03 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Reviewing it I am seeing that Quad numbers may have too much of a bearing on the final number.

Yep Q1 wins are just too heavily skewed in favor of power leagues because teams in those leagues usually stack up wins OOC and get multiple opportunities for Q1 wins @ home.

Memphis had 1 Q1 opportunity @ home and won the game.

Agreed that part of the reason why Big 10 basketball was so good was because of better Quad opportunities with their conference games.

Point is, the AAC basketball as a whole is weak.Memphis had a bad season, Cincinnati was inconsistent or wasn't as dominant as I thought. UCONN was good, but didn't win any "close" games, and they're leaving at a bad time because the Big East will get a good quality basketball team next year.
Tulsa was okay but had an awful out of conference schedule. Seems like everyone is leaving Wichita. USF continues to struggle, and UCF had a bad year. Don't even get me mentioning ECU and Tulane.

Point is, Arensco should be embarrassed about how bad the conference did in basketball instead of worrying about what team he's going to hot dog their way to the Peach Bowl for money purposes. I do not believe we will get 4 teams in the tournament next year. We need to shoot for 7 teams annually, and keep par with the rest of the country. We also need to do a better job of hiring coaches this offseason if one leaves, which I doubt will happen. Our basketball conference sucks.
03-15-2020 11:27 PM
AlonsoWDC Online
Hall of Famer

Bro, if you think UConn is making the NCAAT anytime soon, you ain't watching the same sport I am.
03-15-2020 11:48 PM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Online
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2020 11:27 PM)GoDownSwinging Wrote:  We need to shoot for 7 teams annually, and keep par with the rest of the country. We also need to do a better job of hiring coaches this offseason if one leaves, which I doubt will happen. Our basketball conference sucks.

Dude, there's only 3 conferences who regularly get 7 in - ACC, B12, and Big Ten. The BEast only got 4 in last year. The PAC has had 4, 3, and 3 the last three years.
We are solidly the 7 place basketball league - behind the P5 money and the BEast. That's not terrible and it's not changing any time soon.
As for coaches, we've actually got some pretty good ones. Sampson, Marshall, and Haith are respected nationally as veterans that most programs would be lucky to have. The others - Penny, Hurley, Hunter, Brannen especially - are viewed as up and comers.
03-16-2020 04:03 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(03-16-2020 04:03 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 11:27 PM)GoDownSwinging Wrote:  We need to shoot for 7 teams annually, and keep par with the rest of the country. We also need to do a better job of hiring coaches this offseason if one leaves, which I doubt will happen. Our basketball conference sucks.

Dude, there's only 3 conferences who regularly get 7 in - ACC, B12, and Big Ten. The BEast only got 4 in last year. The PAC has had 4, 3, and 3 the last three years.
We are solidly the 7 place basketball league - behind the P5 money and the BEast. That's not terrible and it's not changing any time soon.
As for coaches, we've actually got some pretty good ones. Sampson, Marshall, and Haith are respected nationally as veterans that most programs would be lucky to have. The others - Penny, Hurley, Hunter, Brannen especially - are viewed as up and comers.

I think our league can compete now because most teams can combat talent with experience...But when the one and done rule goes away that may no longer be the case.
03-16-2020 04:10 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

(03-14-2020 10:11 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  This year's results in AAC
Houston........ 69
Wichita St..... 59
Cincinnati..... 51
Memphis...... 48
Tulsa.............45
U Conn........ 35
SMU ............35
UCF..............15
USF................8
Temple...........6
Tulane...........-5
ECU............-23

03-lmfao
03-16-2020 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.