Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA: Cancel vs. Postpone Tournament
Bookmark and Share
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
It was definitely a question I had. Jay Bilas in the second video mentions that it may have come down to contractual agreements between the NCAA and their partners including the media, vendors, and insurance carriers. That is, the NCAA's ability to recoup losses due to cancellation vs. postponement. In any event, it's water over the damn now but I wish there was some way to have taken incremental steps to cancel it instead of outright.

03-13-2020 07:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: NCAA: Cancel vs. Postpone Tournament
I have a feeling there will be a preseason NCAA tournament next November with the 68 teams who should have played this March.

03-14-2020 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(03-14-2020 09:24 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I have a feeling there will be a preseason NCAA tournament next November with the 68 teams who should have played this March.

That is what I would do. I would also like to see a preseason NCAA tournament every season.

03-14-2020 09:33 AM
Advertisement

colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(03-14-2020 09:24 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I have a feeling there will be a preseason NCAA tournament next November with the 68 teams who should have played this March.

Perhaps, except some of the involved athletes will have graduated or otherwise moved on with their lives by then. There's really no way to go back in time and re-create the past (time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana).

It sure would be fun, though, to see and debate the bracket for this spring's cancelled tournament.

03-14-2020 09:58 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

(03-14-2020 09:58 AM)colohank Wrote:  

Perhaps, except some of the involved athletes will have graduated or otherwise moved on with their lives by then. There's really no way to go back in time and re-create the past (time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana).

It sure would be fun, though, to see and debate the bracket for this spring's cancelled tournament.

Just play with the rosters teams will have in November, it still would be a fun way to welcome back college basketball.

03-14-2020 10:05 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

If I'm Dayton, I would hang a national championship banner. Just like UCF did.

I drove about 500 miles today listening to sports radio. A lot of them were ripping the NCAA for its lack of a spine in simply canceling the tournament with no discussion about postponing or alternatives.

One guy on 700 WLW said that the NCAA should put 4-8 courts on football field in Atlanta where the Final Four is scheduled, and have an AAU-style tournament where there's 4-8 games going on at once. Do the whole tournament in 7 days. The winner would play 6 games over 7 days. That would be awesome, even without any fans there.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2020 10:23 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
03-14-2020 10:23 PM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
When you wonder why something was done, always follow the money?
Is anyone on here an insurance expert?
I used to buy business interruption cover for companies where I was CFO.
It covered certain costs related to lost business due to certain events like fires, tornados, etc.
I wonder if the NCAA had cover for Carona?
Seems unlikely, as the cancellation was voluntary, but I would appreciate hearing from an insurance expert.
Would ESPN have had coverage?

03-15-2020 07:28 AM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2020 07:28 AM)doss2 Wrote:  When you wonder why something was done, always follow the money?
Is anyone on here an insurance expert?
I used to buy business interruption cover for companies where I was CFO.
It covered certain costs related to lost business due to certain events like fires, tornados, etc.
I wonder if the NCAA had cover for Carona?
Seems unlikely, as the cancellation was voluntary, but I would appreciate hearing from an insurance expert.
Would ESPN have had coverage?

Given the fact that they pretty much knee jerked the decision, I'm sure that the NCAA felt that they were going to be able to recoup at least some of the mega millions that they seemingly were giving up.

Whatever policies they had, I'm sure it was endorsed to cover whatever pitfalls they foresaw. Whether they saw infectious disease or not is not known.

That said, I'm sure there are insurance companies out there "reviewing" all this for coverage as all claims are scrutinized as such.

As with everything, lawyers for both sides will come in and muck everything up.

Perhaps they will argue whether or not corona virus meets a certain definition.

Or maybe they will argue what the definition of "is" is.

And as always, there will end up being some sort of negotiated settlement.

I just can't believe that they at least didn't try to postpone it to see how things played out.

Adam Silver suspends the NBA season and everyone else just immediately jumped off the cliff with him. I guess they were afraid of cancel culture coming after them if they didn't fall in line.

03-15-2020 10:30 AM
Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
Business interruption may indeed cover this. If they had good coverage (I assume they do), the policies I’ve worked with would cover it unless there was an infectious disease exclusion. I rarely see that exclusion on policies. I reckon I’ll start seeing it more now, though.

03-15-2020 11:29 AM
Advertisement

dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
Yep, we've got assets in hurricane prone areas and i've had several experiences with them. Typically you insure for lost profits, etc and whether they would have gotten coverage is probably iffy. Very complex policies and sets of conditions. I'm curious what the Ncaa's contracts look like with the vendors/location contracts. Same goes for concerts etc, although those in most instances are looking to reschedule.

03-15-2020 11:42 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Iran is digging mass graves right now. What insurance policy covers that?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

03-15-2020 12:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.