Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coronavirus and March Madness
Bookmark and Share
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
It seems everyday more and more measures are being taken. Are we possibly looking at no March Madness this year? Or possibly games with no fans? They just cancelled the Spring game. Reds talking about cancelling opening day.

03-10-2020 06:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Brendel just tweeted that the county hosting the AAC tournament just got a confirmed case of the virus

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

03-10-2020 06:46 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
RE: Coronavirus and March Madness
I go to the First 4 in Dayton every year and I don't see spectators being allowed after DeWine's comments today. The MAC tournament just banned all non-credentialed spectators from the rest of the tournament in Cleveland. I think the NCAA tournament will still go on just without spectators. That'll definitely help the favorites.

03-10-2020 06:52 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
Let’s just computer simulate the whole thing.

03-10-2020 06:57 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2020 06:57 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  Let’s just computer simulate the whole thing.
The NET is so secretive that it won't even allow us to know who ends up winning the tournament.

03-10-2020 06:59 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(03-10-2020 06:57 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  Let’s just computer simulate the whole thing.

I endorse BearcatMark to oversee the operation.

03-10-2020 06:59 PM
Advertisement

Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(03-10-2020 06:59 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

I endorse BearcatMark to oversee the operation.

[Image: oCoTeG.gif]

03-10-2020 07:01 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Mark would definitely be in his element with all the super surge protectors needed...

[Image: RectangularSimplisticLeopard-size_restricted.gif]

03-10-2020 07:08 PM
@ES Trader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
I say they push it a month or two. Hopefully Cumberland gets back to 100% and we win the whole thing.

03-10-2020 08:41 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(03-10-2020 08:41 PM)@ES Trader Wrote:  I say they push it a month or two. Hopefully Cumberland gets back to 100% and we win the whole thing.

May Madness? Yes!

03-10-2020 09:01 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Meh. We are talking about canceling our March Madness trip to Vegas next week.

Not scared about catching the Wu Flu so much as this may just not be the right year to fully experience this digit on my sports bucket list.

03-10-2020 09:16 PM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

The Ivy League has cancelled their conference tournaments.

Cancelled. As in, like, not playing them.

And yet, we still regard them as smart people...?

03-11-2020 05:28 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

(03-11-2020 05:28 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  The Ivy League has cancelled their conference tournaments.

Heck yea. Get ready for empty arenas and cancelled events. Basically need to mitigate and contain until the health system has the testing and treating capacity.

Should have started this weeks ago but now is better than never. Statistically you need slow this down so you don’t overwhelm the hospitals with cases or people who think they have it when they actually have something else.

The one big problem in a free society that has 50 state governments plus thousands of local ones is coordinating a response. We just don’t have a collective culture in the United States. Individual freedom and individuality are dominant which is great until there is a public health emergency. People temporarily are probably going to trade some freedom away for the collective good. It’s hard but it can be done.

03-11-2020 07:21 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2020 07:21 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 05:28 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  The Ivy League has cancelled their conference tournaments.

Heck yea. Get ready for empty arenas and cancelled events. Basically need to mitigate and contain until the health system has the testing and treating capacity.

Should have started this weeks ago but now is better than never. Statistically you need slow this down so you don’t overwhelm the hospitals with cases or people who think they have it when they actually have something else.

The one big problem in a free society that has 50 state governments plus thousands of local ones is coordinating a response. We just don’t have a collective culture in the United States. Individual freedom and individuality are dominant which is great until there is a public health emergency. People temporarily are probably going to trade some freedom away for the collective good. It’s hard but it can be done.

I am not an expert on viruses, and won't pretend to be one. I really hope the messures taken don't cripple our economy and the world economy.

03-11-2020 08:00 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2020 08:00 AM)jarr Wrote:  

I am not an expert on viruses, and won't pretend to be one. I really hope the messures taken don't cripple our economy and the world economy.
Public health decisions will be made in conjunction with economic experts. I'm sure most countries understand the economic impact will be far worse if the virus isn't contained quickly. The biggest concern is that some countries, not naming any names, decide to forgo any precautionary measures in hopes that the economy can still be stimulated and the virus will dissipate on its own...

03-11-2020 08:18 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2020 08:18 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 08:00 AM)jarr Wrote:  

Public health decisions will be made in conjunction with economic experts. I'm sure most countries understand the economic impact will be far worse if the virus isn't contained quickly. The biggest concern is that some countries, not naming any names, decide to forgo any precautionary measures in hopes that the economy can still be stimulated and the virus will dissipate on its own...

I agree, if quick immediate action is the answer then so be it. But Injust hope economic experts are being involved on these decisions.

03-11-2020 08:34 AM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I agree. I'm by no means an expert but the steps being taken seem much more aggressive than previous illnesses like this and those ones seemed a bit more dangerous.

But if they've the best way of keeping the most amount of people healthy then I'm all for it. Obviously you don't want a severe financial impact but doing less and having a more severe outbreak could be substantially much worse.

With remote capabilities society has never had more tools to avoid personal contact than ever before. Hopefully as easily as people can be productive and avoid personal contact hopefully our capability to limit the spread of infectious disease is much greater than ever before especially with as readily available as information is nowadays.

03-11-2020 08:50 AM
Tymanh99 Offline

I Root For: .
Donators
the CBI was just canceled

03-11-2020 12:18 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
If the college athletes are not allowed to attend school, then they should not be allowed to play sports. March Madness should be cancelled. All Spring sports baseball, tennis (my season this year would be over), etc should be stopped.

Since UC cancelled the Spring Game, we must all re-consider renewing our football season tickets since they should not be practicing spring football at all. Or all coaches, trainers, grad assistants, and players must be quarantined from other human contact - so tell those wives and girlfriends you are not coming home.

The football team will clearly not be prepared for the fall. And by then we may have internment camps for those exposed. So do we pay CLF and his staff since the season is over before it starts? Those tax dollars could be used for the 8 masks left in Hamilton county and two bottles of Purell.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020 12:47 PM by Ragpicker.)
03-11-2020 12:39 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(03-11-2020 12:18 PM)Tymanh99 Wrote:  the CBI was just canceled

I thought it was cancelled years ago.

03-11-2020 12:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.