Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC Basketball Traveling Bases
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
ACC Basketball Traveling Bases
So situational but I was at the Cuse@Miami game last Saturday. Despite Cuse sucking this year they had easily 2/3rds of the crowd. Granted the Arena was probably at 50-60% capacity.

How does UNC, NCSt, Duke, UL and UVA travel to various arenas?
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 01:23 PM by TexanMark.)
03-10-2020 01:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: ACC Basketball Traveling Bases
From buying VT season tickets to sell a couple of years, I can tell you that you almost have to give away Louisville tickets. I ended up going to the VT Louisville game both years because there was more value to me to go to the game than to sell the tickets cheap. That may be because there's less VT demand for Louisville but I didn't see any Louisville fans at the game either.

Duke, UNC and Cuse went for good money. Miami went for a premium too but that might have been because they were on Senior night.
03-10-2020 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(03-10-2020 01:48 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  From buying VT season tickets to sell a couple of years, I can tell you that you almost have to give away Louisville tickets. I ended up going to the VT Louisville game both years because there was more value to me to go to the game than to sell the tickets cheap. That may be because there's less VT demand for Louisville but I didn't see any Louisville fans at the game either.

Duke, UNC and Cuse went for good money. Miami went for a premium too but that might have been because they were on Senior night.

1) VT isn’t super exciting in BB. 2) y’all are in the middle of nowhere 3) ACC offers too many good BB experiences in a season. That’s why you won’t see many UofL fans there.
03-10-2020 02:00 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(03-10-2020 01:22 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  So situational but I was at the Cuse@Miami game last Saturday. Despite Cuse sucking this year they had easily 2/3rds of the crowd. Granted the Arena was probably at 50-60% capacity.

Duke's alums are spread out over the country, so Duke can bring in a lot of fans even in places like Portland, OR but Duke brings in fans more readily in urban areas such as NYC, Boston, Atlanta and Miami.
03-10-2020 02:02 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-10-2020 02:00 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 01:48 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  From buying VT season tickets to sell a couple of years, I can tell you that you almost have to give away Louisville tickets. I ended up going to the VT Louisville game both years because there was more value to me to go to the game than to sell the tickets cheap. That may be because there's less VT demand for Louisville but I didn't see any Louisville fans at the game either.

1) VT isn’t super exciting in BB. 2) y’all are in the middle of nowhere 3) ACC offers too many good BB experiences in a season. That’s why you won’t see many UofL fans there.

I know a Liberty fan did NOT try to call out Virginia Tech for being "in the middle of nowhere"! At least Blacksburg is a stone's throw from I-81. How do you get to Lynchburg - take a raft down the James River?
05-mafia
03-10-2020 02:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(03-10-2020 01:22 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  So situational but I was at the Cuse@Miami game last Saturday. Despite Cuse sucking this year they had easily 2/3rds of the crowd. Granted the Arena was probably at 50-60% capacity.

In NC it is easy to get in and out the Arenas at WF and NC State. Many western NC and SW Va living fans will make the trip to WS to see State or UNC or VT. Tickets are so sparse at Duke that it's not worth messing with and the trick at Carolina is to have the parking pass of the Septuagenarian you got your tickets from. Travelling to Cassell is a pain in the ass because on ball game nights, there is no hotel space in Christiansburg/Blacksburg and if you came from the State of NC, there are only roaches until you get back to Mount Airy or W/S.

Clemson now has enough hotel space around it to make Littlejohn worth a trip every decade or so, but in reality most coming from NC will stop in Clemson if they are on their way to Atlanta, the mountains or Chattanooga. The problem for anyone from NC or VA going to Syracuse is that means Syracuse in the winter and most southeastern folks just don't like it.

My observation is that people were more willing to travel when games were played on Saturdays and tipped no later than 7:00 PM.

Piss on a 9:00 PM basketball game tip unless it is the ACC Title game.
03-10-2020 02:32 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

(03-10-2020 02:17 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I know a Liberty fan did NOT try to call out Virginia Tech for being "in the middle of nowhere"! At least Blacksburg is a stone's throw from I-81. How do you get to Lynchburg - take a raft down the James River?
05-mafia

I would rather be stuck in Grundy or Boykins than Lynchburg. 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 02:39 PM by Statefan.)
03-10-2020 02:35 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I thought the way to get to Lynchburg started with your first Sunday School class at the local Independent Free Will Born Again First or Second Baptist Church, followed by dancing, then drinking forcing your parents to send you to Liberty so that you could come to see the error of your ways. You know, the same way you end up at Wingate.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 02:42 PM by Statefan.)
03-10-2020 02:41 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU

05-mafia

Liberty is in the middle of nowhere. Y’all aren’t in larger cities and you don’t provide the excitement in BB that someone like Cuse does. It is what it is.
03-10-2020 03:21 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(03-10-2020 03:21 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

05-mafia

Liberty is in the middle of nowhere. Y’all aren’t in larger cities and you don’t provide the excitement in BB that someone like Cuse does. It is what it is.

Cuse brings a huge travelling fan base to VT. It's Louisville that doesn't travel.
03-10-2020 03:28 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-10-2020 02:41 PM)Statefan Wrote:  I thought the way to get to Lynchburg started with your first Sunday School class at the local Independent Free Will Born Again First or Second Baptist Church, followed by dancing, then drinking forcing your parents to send you to Liberty so that you could come to see the error of your ways. You know, the same way you end up at Wingate.

Hey, I've met some very nice people who attended Wingate.
03-10-2020 03:29 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

05-mafia

Both of y'all exist in the only place in the union where it's a felony to be pulled over for speeding at 10mph over. This is particularly hilarious given the prevailing speed on I-95 if traffic is thin enough to allow is 80+.
03-10-2020 04:33 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

It's because there is no easy work around there due to the mountains. Block 81 and you have to go down to the foothills or into WVa to get around the crash. IIRC the US munitions plant in Radford also wanted to curb speed on 81.
03-10-2020 04:37 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

Duke probably has the best representative in the Dome. The NE based Duke fans show in significant numbers. I'd say at least a few thousand. The Dome is an expensive ticket for Duke but tickets are available. If you don't mind sitting over 100 yards away from the court you can get in for $50-75.
03-11-2020 07:59 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(03-10-2020 03:28 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 03:21 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

05-mafia

Cuse brings a huge travelling fan base to VT. It's Louisville that doesn't travel.

Louisville fans don't travel to Virginia Tech maybe. Blacksburg is a 5 hour drive, and when we play on a weeknight, that's just not logistically easy to do.

But Georgia Tech would tell you a different story. The inner city church group bus trip that used to go to DePaul every year when they were conference mates, moved that to Georgia Tech as soon as we joined the ACC. 5 or 6 bus loads of Card fans have enjoyed trips to Atlanta since we joined the ACC.

But hoops traveling fan bases aren't important. Traveling fan bases to football bowl games is much more important. Quality of bowls go to the conferences that can fill those bowls up. Louisville fans represent quite well for bowl games.
03-11-2020 11:18 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

Louisville doesn't travel to Cuse in Football. I've never seen more than 150-200 fans. Hopefully that will change the longer our rivalry develops. Unfortunately, there are no cheap flights and the drive is 11 hours.

You are right that Louisville travels well to most bowl games. I hope the ACC can get another bowl in Florida.
03-11-2020 05:38 PM
Advertisement

(03-11-2020 11:18 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  But Georgia Tech would tell you a different story. The inner city church group bus trip that used to go to DePaul every year when they were conference mates, moved that to Georgia Tech as soon as we joined the ACC. 5 or 6 bus loads of Card fans have enjoyed trips to Atlanta since we joined the ACC.

Just because the GTAA couldn't be bothered to put a good product in that arena the last 15 years doesn't mean that no good product goes through the arena. Keep those checks coming now that the right leadership is in place. But remember you don't get to enjoy Pastner ticket availability forever.
03-11-2020 06:03 PM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(03-11-2020 05:38 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Louisville doesn't travel to Cuse in Football. I've never seen more than 150-200 fans. Hopefully that will change the longer our rivalry develops. Unfortunately, there are no cheap flights and the drive is 11 hours.

You are right that Louisville travels well to most bowl games. I hope the ACC can get another bowl in Florida.
I think Notre Dame, Louisville, BC, Syracuse, Miami and FSU are the most geographically disadvantaged when it comes traveling to other ACC sites for games, esp basketball games.

GT, Clemson, Wake, Duke, UNC, NC State and UVA significantly benefit by already being part of a tighter geographic area.
03-12-2020 08:05 AM

(03-12-2020 08:05 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 05:38 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Louisville doesn't travel to Cuse in Football. I've never seen more than 150-200 fans. Hopefully that will change the longer our rivalry develops. Unfortunately, there are no cheap flights and the drive is 11 hours.

I think Notre Dame, Louisville, BC, Syracuse, Miami and FSU are the most geographically disadvantaged when it comes traveling to other ACC sites for games, esp basketball games.

GT, Clemson, Wake, Duke, UNC, NC State and UVA significantly benefit by already being part of a tighter geographic area.

I'd say the people with real easy travel are the NC4, Clemson, UVA, and VT. And no I wouldn't include GT in the easy travel group.

You can still drive from GT to the ACC core for games, but it's a full entire day trip and requires a hotel stay. GT to Clemson 5-6 hours round trip. GT to FSU is 9 hours round trip. GT to WF is 11 hours round trip. GT to the Triangle is 12 hours round trip. GT to Blacksburg is 13 hours round trip. Everything else I don't personally consider very drive friendly at least when starting from Atlanta.
03-12-2020 12:06 PM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

(03-12-2020 12:06 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 08:05 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  

I'd say the people with real easy travel are the NC4, Clemson, UVA, and VT. And no I wouldn't include GT in the easy travel group.

You can still drive from GT to the ACC core for games, but it's a full entire day trip and requires a hotel stay. GT to Clemson 5-6 hours round trip. GT to FSU is 9 hours round trip. GT to WF is 11 hours round trip. GT to the Triangle is 12 hours round trip. GT to Blacksburg is 13 hours round trip. Everything else I don't personally consider very drive friendly at least when starting from Atlanta.

The ACC is basically now built around and organised around a central core tight-knit geographic group of schools that has mostly been together for a very long time. And that's mostly very good for all conference schools. A "from-to" analysis shows that it's much more difficult to take a 500-600 mile journey than one that is 100-200 miles. Each school can be put into a spreadsheet to show how many miles its fans need to travel each season to keep up with the AWAY games of their team. The schools mentioned in my previous post, plus Pitt, are the schools whose fans must travel a very long way. They are the most disadvantaged, based on that measure.
It is unlikely that these geographically disadvantaged teams can be expected to travel as well as the tighter knit teams. When conference longevity is considered, it's pretty easy to understand why the new school teams may not travel as well as the old school.
03-12-2020 01:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.