Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

J. Brown/M. Jackson Comparison
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
J. Brown/M. Jackson Comparison
Per the previous post from H2Oville Rocket, I think it is very difficult to determine who the better Point Guard is between M. Jackson and Juice Brown as the following Career Statistical comparison bears out:

Brown 131 Games, 14.0 ppg, 5.3 Asst, 42 FG%, 34.4 FG3%, 80.4 FT%
Jackson 97 Games, 13.1 ppg, 4.1 Asst, 41.4 FG%, 38.0 FG3%, 79.4 FT%

Besides the statistics, another similarity between the two is both wanting the ball in crucial situations that is a very important quality you want in your point guard. With that said, the book on Jackson is not finished yet as he can separate himself from Brown by leading the Rockets to an “elusive” NCAA berth either this year or next! Whether you think either Brown or Jackson is better, we can all agree that we have been fortunate enough in the past 9 years to have seen two of the best Point Guards in Rockets history!
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 12:52 PM by Basketball Jones.)
03-10-2020 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
RE: J. Brown/M. Jackson Comparison
I think Juice was smoother. He also had a deeper team, Drummond, Boothe, Weatherspoon, Jon Jon etc. Marreon may end up having two seasons better than Juices best as well. Marreon went from a distributer to a scorer.

I was telling a buddy of mine; If Marreon gets to the dance, and ends up first team twice? With a POY next season? That's jersey retiring territory. The criteria is supposed to be MAC POY x2... But first team x2 and a dance should suffice. He'd be considered the savior. A role player like Willy and good shooting big man Knapke would never be forgotten as well.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 01:24 PM by UofToledoFans.)
03-10-2020 01:23 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(03-10-2020 12:52 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  Per the previous post from H2Oville Rocket, I think it is very difficult to determine who the better Point Guard is between M. Jackson and Juice Brown as the following Career Statistical comparison bears out:

Brown 131 Games, 14.0 ppg, 5.3 Asst, 42 FG%, 34.4 FG3%, 80.4 FT%
Jackson 97 Games, 13.1 ppg, 4.1 Asst, 41.4 FG%, 38.0 FG3%, 79.4 FT%

Besides the statistics, another similarity between the two is both wanting the ball in crucial situations that is a very important quality you want in your point guard. With that said, the book on Jackson is not finished yet as he can separate himself from Brown by leading the Rockets to an “elusive” NCAA berth either this year or next! Whether you think either Brown or Jackson is better, we can all agree that we have been fortunate enough in the past 9 years to have seen two of the best Point Guards in Rockets history!

Hard to gauge at this point... We’ll see after next season, but I will say that Juice played more in control than Jackson... Probably because he was surrounded by better talent and those teams were deeper...
03-10-2020 01:23 PM
Advertisement

Rocket A Offline
Heisman

I always thought that Juice was a better player when he was a distributor, as opposed to him trying to score himself. I felt that the team struggled when Juice tried to take games over.

I tried to apply that same philosophy to Marreon in a game earlier this season, Wright State possibly. What I soon came to realize, was Marreon's team needed him to score, if they were going to have any kind of success.

I know this doesn't answer the question, but is just my perspective.
03-10-2020 01:33 PM
Screwball Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Good points by all, and I'm also glad to have watched both these guys. My age doesn't give me confidence I remember that well, but my all time guard was Tim Reiser.
03-10-2020 02:00 PM
Advertisement

WHRocket Offline
2nd String

I’ve always felt that Rieser was the best pure point guard UT ever had. Easily the best passer and ball handler. The game has changed to the point that scoring has become more important. I agree that both Juice & Marreon were both more clutch at the end of a game. Marreon is required to score more due to the team’s lack of other scorers. He is the only player on the team that has the ability to create his own offense when things bog down. I am glad I got to watch all three with maybe Rudley in the Mix era.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020 08:05 AM by WHRocket.)
03-10-2020 02:17 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
It was a shame that guys like Juice & Boothe didn't make it to the Dance after 4 solid years here. It will again be a shame if the same fate finds Marreon.
03-10-2020 03:39 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Statistically, Juice was more consistent year to year, where Marreon's freshman year didn't stand out, but this season Marreon is having one for the record books.

He's already got the 3rd most points in a single season all-time and he's within reach of Harvey for #2. He's already set the single season record for most 3's with 99.

Also in single season MAC games, he's #2 in scoring, and 21.6 points per MAC game is 8th all-time. The others in the top 10 for that stat have the names of Mix (2x), Ray, Kozelko (2x), Knuckles, Thames, Jones and Martin. Good company.
03-10-2020 05:36 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Ahh...I thought this was going to be about music.
03-10-2020 09:51 PM
Advertisement

RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(03-10-2020 09:51 PM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  Ahh...I thought this was going to be about music.

03-lmfao That was good 02-13-banana
03-11-2020 12:29 AM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

As an old timer I have to add that John Rudley belongs in this discussion. The game was different then. He only averaged about 11 pts a game and they didn't record assists or have a 3pt line but he was a great point guard and facillitator on a team with several other scorers
03-11-2020 01:03 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

Mareon is better in my opinion because he a better defender. I was too young to see enough of Rudley to put him in that class. If he had played his last year I think Kasheef Payne might have been there as well he was the best defender ever at point guard. My understanding in Jack Freeman might have been the best if he had not been banned from point shaving but his career was before I was born.
03-11-2020 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.