Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

COVID19 cases in Cleveland area
Bookmark and Share
PaulJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Any updates on whether MAC will run games without fans present given the 3 confirmed cases in Cleveland area yesterday??
03-10-2020 08:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
RE: COVID19 cases in Cleveland area
(03-10-2020 08:46 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  Any updates on whether MAC will run games without fans present given the 3 confirmed cases in Cleveland area yesterday??

The governor has declared a state of emergency for Ohio. We'll see where that takes us. On another note. Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy will stop filming in front of live audiences due to concerns about the virus.
03-10-2020 08:53 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(03-10-2020 08:53 AM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 08:46 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  Any updates on whether MAC will run games without fans present given the 3 confirmed cases in Cleveland area yesterday??

The governor has declared a state of emergency for Ohio. We'll see where that takes us. On another note. Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy will stop filming in front of live audiences due to concerns about the virus.

That is a standard and reasonable step State governments can do which always quicker access to state and federal funds and assistance, which in this case can also be very helpful, really does not speak to restrictions or even recommendations in terms of public gatherings, so yea will have to see what NCAA and MAC decide soon.
03-10-2020 08:56 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Breathe everyone. No reason for this reaction. We generally do not test for virus so the strain is probably already widespread with little impact to our lives. Wash your hands and stay home if you are sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-10-2020 09:18 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

Seeing that attendance is low to begin with..... I think the MAC tournament is just fine.
03-10-2020 09:22 AM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
MAC put out something last night that the show will go on as planned
03-10-2020 09:30 AM
Advertisement

RocketBBallFan Offline
1st String

Here is the statement from the MAC:

“We are working collaboratively with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), our local and state health and governmental officials, along with our partners the Cleveland Cavaliers and Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse regarding public safety for all our student-athletes, coaches and fans for this week’s MAC Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments," the MAC said in a statement. “We are proceeding as planned with our tournament and currently moving forward as scheduled. As a reminder the CDC has encouraged traditional precautionary prevention measures and guidelines. We will continue to monitor this situation on a daily basis.”
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 10:01 AM by RocketBBallFan.)
03-10-2020 10:01 AM
WHRocket Offline
2nd String

News break from the governor’s office. All upcoming indoor sporting events will only allow family to be in attendance. Sounds like the event will go on.
03-10-2020 02:03 PM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(03-10-2020 02:03 PM)WHRocket Wrote:  News break from the governor’s office. All upcoming indoor sporting events will only allow family to be in attendance. Sounds like the event will go on.

From the statement I read, this was not a mandate of any kind, just a request.

We'll see what the MAC does now.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 02:15 PM by Redwingtom.)
03-10-2020 02:14 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(03-10-2020 02:14 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 02:03 PM)WHRocket Wrote:  News break from the governor’s office. All upcoming indoor sporting events will only allow family to be in attendance. Sounds like the event will go on.

From the statement I read, this was not a mandate of any kind, just a request.

We'll see what the MAC does now.

My understanding is MAC is meeting this afternoon, expect a news release soon as to their decision
03-10-2020 03:55 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

The cases here in the Cleveland area so far are all people who brought it back from travel (2 from Egypt, 1 from a conference in DC) reportedly. No local community transmission yet that I have heard.

But the issue isn't really running into people with it here, it is bringing a few thousand people from 5 states or more together and keeping them in an enclosed space together for hours on end. If even 1 or 2 people come that have it, they could possibly spread it to dozens or hundreds of others, who would then carry it back home, because they won't know they have it until after the event is over.

Seems drastic I know, but the way to deal with something like this is to get out ahead of it and keep it contained if possible. This isn't like the normal seasonal flu. Mortality rate is 10 - 50 times worse then the flu, by the best estimates so far. And it's a novel virus meaning no one likely has any inherent immunity. And the incubation period is a lot longer than the flu, so someone infected can possibly transmit it to a lot more people before they know it than the flu.

Would not be surprised to see them cancel.
03-10-2020 04:50 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Tourney goes on but without fans.
https://getsomemaction.com/news/2020/3/1...l-mac.aspx

Only teams, school personnel, families and media allowed. Tickets will be refunded. Sucks for people who have already traveled.

So, teams that usually have no attendance will have an advantage over UT then.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 05:43 PM by northcoastRocket.)
03-10-2020 05:42 PM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(03-10-2020 04:50 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  The cases here in the Cleveland area so far are all people who brought it back from travel (2 from Egypt, 1 from a conference in DC) reportedly. No local community transmission yet that I have heard.

But the issue isn't really running into people with it here, it is bringing a few thousand people from 5 states or more together and keeping them in an enclosed space together for hours on end. If even 1 or 2 people come that have it, they could possibly spread it to dozens or hundreds of others, who would then carry it back home, because they won't know they have it until after the event is over.

Seems drastic I know, but the way to deal with something like this is to get out ahead of it and keep it contained if possible. This isn't like the normal seasonal flu. Mortality rate is 10 - 50 times worse then the flu, by the best estimates so far. And it's a novel virus meaning no one likely has any inherent immunity. And the incubation period is a lot longer than the flu, so someone infected can possibly transmit it to a lot more people before they know it than the flu.

Too many unknowns/too early to get a true US mortality rate. China's Nationwide rate is supposedly
2.1%. Recent rate reported at .7%. US equates to 3.4% based on known cases. Be realistic and use common sense.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020 08:47 AM by Boca Rocket.)
03-11-2020 08:45 AM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

(03-11-2020 08:45 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 04:50 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  The cases here in the Cleveland area so far are all people who brought it back from travel (2 from Egypt, 1 from a conference in DC) reportedly. No local community transmission yet that I have heard.

Too many unknowns/too early to get a true US mortality rate. China's Nationwide rate is supposedly
2.1%. Recent rate reported at .7%. US equates to 3.4% based on known cases. Be realistic and use common sense.

Yeah...judging by how it moved in Italy, we'll probably see the true extent of things in a week or two. Hard to tell though...we're just not testing enough or correctly. Scary that we were not better prepared for this. And that's an indictment on our political leaders from all sides!
03-11-2020 09:09 AM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(03-11-2020 09:09 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

Yeah...judging by how it moved in Italy, we'll probably see the true extent of things in a week or two. Hard to tell though...we're just not testing enough or correctly. Scary that we were not better prepared for this. And that's an indictment on our political leaders from all sides!

If you read the recent Scientific American article on coronavirus in Italy, they believe the reason Italy is hit so hard is the age of the population. It averages about 10 years older than in the US and so elderly make up a much greater percentage of the overall population.Very unlikely you will see similar numbers.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020 09:28 AM by Boca Rocket.)
03-11-2020 09:26 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

16% of US population is over age of 65, with no vaccine and that group often with many other heath risks and pre-existing conditions, everything society can do, including all of us, to help protect them is critical, even if it means interruptions to regular work and leisure activities and practices for a few weeks or longer, regardless of what that total population is, everyone likely knows someone in that group at highest risk.
03-11-2020 10:22 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-11-2020 10:22 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  16% of US population is over age of 65, with no vaccine and that group often with many other heath risks and pre-existing conditions, everything society can do, including all of us, to help protect them is critical, even if it means interruptions to regular work and leisure activities and practices for a few weeks or longer, regardless of what that total population is, everyone likely knows someone in that group at highest risk.

The goal isn't necessarily to limit exposure entirely, that ship has completely sailed on overall containment. It's to limit the exposure rate so that medical facilities are not overloaded and the vulnerable populations can receive the care they need sooner.
03-11-2020 10:26 AM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

(03-11-2020 09:26 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

If you read the recent Scientific American article on coronavirus in Italy, they believe the reason Italy is hit so hard is the age of the population. It averages about 10 years older than in the US and so elderly make up a much greater percentage of the overall population.Very unlikely you will see similar numbers.

While it may average out to be older, I find it impossible to believe that there are more elderly folks in a country of 60 million compared to a country with 327 million!
03-11-2020 10:35 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(03-11-2020 10:35 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 09:26 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

While it may average out to be older, I find it impossible to believe that there are more elderly folks in a country of 60 million compared to a country with 327 million!

Not more, but more in a localized region that has mostly been exposed. Compared to the U.S. where many population centers have yet to see the virus at all.
03-11-2020 10:39 AM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
(03-11-2020 10:22 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  16% of US population is over age of 65, with no vaccine and that group often with many other heath risks and pre-existing conditions, everything society can do, including all of us, to help protect them is critical, even if it means interruptions to regular work and leisure activities and practices for a few weeks or longer, regardless of what that total population is, everyone likely knows someone in that group at highest risk.

That is a noble sentiment, and I don't want to take the side of killing old people. There is a balance, though. If we all stayed home from December through February every year, thousands fewer old people would die of the flu. If we all drove a lot less, thousands fewer people would die in car accidents. There are a lot of lifestyle changes that we could make that would make us safer, but there is a balance. (I'm not saying that Dewine was wrong. I have mixed feelings, but on balance I guess he is probably right due to the massive uncertainty surrounding coronavirus.)
03-11-2020 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.