Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Colonial Championship: Hofstra (25-8)/Northeastern (17-15)
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Colonial Championship: Hofstra (25-8)/Northeastern (17-15)
[Image: OAcGX31OKQplefS2O04Trg_96x96.png] [Image: DzvR3Po0Lk96RKUcvj-kZQ_96x96.png]

In 2006, Hofstra whipped George Mason twice down the stretch and entered Selection Sunday as a consensus IN while George Mason was a consensus OUT. The rest was history in one of the most memorable tournaments ever.

Hard to believe that was 15 years ago. And a school with Hofstra's history hasn't been dancing since Jay Wright 20 years ago.

If the committee tapped the Pride over the Patriots, it could've been Hofstra to the Final Four and later the A10 with the Patriots still in the Colonial to this day.
03-10-2020 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: Colonial Championship: Hofstra (25-8)/Northeastern (17-15)
You think that was bad? In 2006, George Mason's athletic director was on the Selection Committee. Sure, HE can't vote for his own school. Doesn't mean he can't slip money under the table to the other members to vote for his school. Is it a coincidence that his school gets in and a school that beat them twice doesn't?

2006 was the Bracket Matrix's first year. That season there were 23 brackets.
http://bracketmatrix.com/matrix_2006.html

13 of them chose Hofstra, 11 chose George Mason. If the Bracket Matrix were in charge, Hofstra would have made the field as the last team in and George Mason would have been the first team out. I actually picked both of them. Other things to consider.

1) George Mason got to play its Sweet 16 and regional final in nearby Washington DC. Do you think that was a coincidence? As far as I'm aware, there's no rules that say AD's have to leave the room when it comes to regional placement. Do you think George Mason wins those last two games if they don't have a home court advantage?

2) George Mason played North Carolina in Dayton where they upset them. That game should have been played in Greensboro. It was because Tennessee was mysteriously seeded higher than North Carolina and got to play in Greensboro instead of UNC. Tennessee was a #2 seed although out of 23 bracketologists including me, ESPN, CBS, and others every one of them had the Volunteers either a 4 seed or a 5 seed! So how does the Selection Committee have Tennessee a #2 seed? SEC Commissioner Mike Slive was on the Selection Committee as well! Coincidence? Florida was seeded a #4 by most of the bracketologists but a #3 by the Committee. They got to the Final Four that year as did SEC member LSU. You know who the fourth Final Four team was? UCLA. UCLA's AD was also on the Selection Committee. So every team that made the Final Four had representation on the Selection Committee!

In most years the Selection Committee is reasonable but in 2006 they were clearly favoritist. George Mason wasn't even their worst inclusion. Only one of 23 brackets chose Utah State and Air Force yet both teams got in! And 21 out of 23 had Missouri State in (I believe they set a record for the highest RPI to ever be left out) and 20 of 23 had Cincinnati in but both were left out.

So Go Hofstra! 14 years too late but better late then never!
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 04:15 PM by schmolik.)
03-10-2020 04:06 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(03-10-2020 04:06 PM)schmolik Wrote:  You think that was bad? In 2006, George Mason's athletic director was on the Selection Committee. Sure, HE can't vote for his own school. Doesn't mean he can't slip money under the table to the other members to vote for his school. Is it a coincidence that his school gets in and a school that beat them twice doesn't?

13 of them chose Hofstra, 11 chose George Mason. If the Bracket Matrix were in charge, Hofstra would have made the field as the last team in and George Mason would have been the first team out. I actually picked both of them. Other things to consider.

1) George Mason got to play its Sweet 16 and regional final in nearby Washington DC. Do you think that was a coincidence? As far as I'm aware, there's no rules that say AD's have to leave the room when it comes to regional placement. Do you think George Mason wins those last two games if they don't have a home court advantage?

2) George Mason played North Carolina in Dayton where they upset them. That game should have been played in Greensboro. It was because Tennessee was mysteriously seeded higher than North Carolina and got to play in Greensboro instead of UNC. Tennessee was a #2 seed although out of 23 bracketologists including me, ESPN, CBS, and others every one of them had the Volunteers either a 4 seed or a 5 seed! So how does the Selection Committee have Tennessee a #2 seed? SEC Commissioner Mike Slive was on the Selection Committee as well! Coincidence? Florida was seeded a #4 by most of the bracketologists but a #3 by the Committee. They got to the Final Four that year as did SEC member LSU. You know who the fourth Final Four team was? UCLA. UCLA's AD was also on the Selection Committee. So every team that made the Final Four had representation on the Selection Committee!

In most years the Selection Committee is reasonable but in 2006 they were clearly favoritist. George Mason wasn't even their worst inclusion. Only one of 23 brackets chose Utah State and Air Force yet both teams got in! And 21 out of 23 had Missouri State in (I believe they set a record for the highest RPI to ever be left out) and 20 of 23 had Cincinnati in but both were left out.

Utah St and Air Force got in because the WAC and MWC were ranked higher than the CAA.

No way was the CAA getting two.bids when the WAC and MWC were only getting 1
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020 10:10 AM by solohawks.)
03-10-2020 04:10 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(03-10-2020 04:06 PM)schmolik Wrote:  You think that was bad? In 2006, George Mason's athletic director was on the Selection Committee. Sure, HE can't vote for his own school. Doesn't mean he can't slip money under the table to the other members to vote for his school. Is it a coincidence that his school gets in and a school that beat them twice doesn't?

So Go Hofstra! 14 years too late but better late then never!

That's crazy. I remember the outrage but had totally forgotten about GMU AD being on the committee. And yes, Missouri St (21 RPI!) and Hofstra should've been ahead of AFA and George Mason.

Go Hofstra! That program has been cursed.
03-10-2020 04:37 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Yeah, those years were a mess. The year the MVC allegedly rigged RPI simply by playing and winning road games when the majors wouldn't budge off their own courts in the non-conference and thump their chests over their own conference strength. With USU and AFA, weren't WAC and MWC people also on the committee?
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020 08:15 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
03-11-2020 07:54 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Hofstra first bid since 2001 .... well done.
03-11-2020 09:39 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(03-11-2020 07:54 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Yeah, those years were a mess. The year the MVC allegedly rigged RPI simply by playing and winning road games when the majors wouldn't budge off their own courts in the non-conference and thump their chests over their own conference strength. With USU and AFA, weren't WAC and MWC people also on the committee?

Don't remember. Wouldn't surprise me if they were. I'm sure Craig Thompson (MWC commissioner) was head of the committee before but not sure of which year.
03-11-2020 10:07 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(03-10-2020 08:19 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  [Image: OAcGX31OKQplefS2O04Trg_96x96.png] [Image: DzvR3Po0Lk96RKUcvj-kZQ_96x96.png]

In 2006, Hofstra whipped George Mason twice down the stretch and entered Selection Sunday as a consensus IN while George Mason was a consensus OUT. The rest was history in one of the most memorable tournaments ever.

Hard to believe that was 15 years ago. And a school with Hofstra's history hasn't been dancing since Jay Wright 20 years ago.

If the committee tapped the Pride over the Patriots, it could've been Hofstra to the Final Four and later the A10 with the Patriots still in the Colonial to this day.

So because George Mason went to the Final Four, it means Hofstra would have? They maybe could have caused some damage but they have to play the games.
03-11-2020 10:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.