Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Trump’s election may have messed up the sex balance of babies
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Trump’s election may have messed up the sex balance of babies
Quote:Depending on your political inclination, you probably greeted the election of Donald Trump in November 2016 with awe or dismay – or an uneasy combination of both. But Trump’s ascendancy might be responsible for something much weirder: a decline in the number of boys born in Canada’s most populous province.

According to a new study in the scientific journal BMJ Open, Trump’s election was associated with a temporary shift in the sex ratio of newborn babies. But this short-term decline in male babies was only apparent in politically liberal areas of the Canadian province and not in conservative parts.

A relationship between stressful events and the sex ratio of babies might seem implausible, but the pattern is actually well established. Terrorist incidents such as 9/11 and the 2005 London bombings saw a similar shift in the gender balance, which skewed towards girls over baby boys for a few months afterwards.

Ravi Retnakaran, a clinician at Toronto’s Mount Sinai Hospital, usually studies type 2 diabetes but couldn’t resist looking into the link between stressful geopolitical events and sex ratios. Around the time of Trump’s rise to power he just so happened to stumble across several papers exploring the sex ratio at birth after adverse societal events. As the November 2016 result was perceived as so unexpected by many, he wondered if it might have a similar influence as these other events.

“I felt this apprehension in society that immediately harked back to September 11,” he says. “And that’s when the light dawned in my head, and I wondered if this could have the same sort of effect on the sex ratio.” Retnakaran and his colleague Chang Ye patiently waited for babies to be born so they’d have data to analyse. They looked at all births in Ontario before Trump’s election (April 2010 to October 2016); just afterwards (November 2016 to February 2017); and later on (March 2017 to October 2017).

The team found the lowest ratio of boys to girls occurred in March 2017. This effect was observed in liberal-leaning parts of Ontario, but not in conservative areas. Before Trump’s election, for every girl born in liberal-leaning regions of Ontario, 1.0605 boys were born, but between March 2017 and July 2017 this figure dropped to 1.0217 boys per girl. For conservative-leaning regions there was a slight increase in the ratio, but a statistical analysis showed this was down to chance, not an outside factor.

“We were looking for a very specific signal,” Retnakaran says. “The stratification we did based on liberal-leaning parts compared to conservative-leaning surprised us because we didn't know if that would be there or not.”

You might think the sex ratio at birth would be an even split, but it generally slightly favours males. Around the world, 105 boys are born for every 100 girls. Scientists can’t yet explain quite why that’s the case, although one theory is that because men tend to die younger than women more boys are needed at the start of life.

But at conception the sex ratio is equal – there is no difference in the number of males and females conceived – so the eventual male bias is to do with the probability of miscarriage later in pregnancy being skewed by the foetuses’ sex. “The overall mortality is greater for girls but there are specific windows,” explains Retnakaran. “It’s believed that the common effect that you see after an adverse societal event like an earthquake is reflecting the differential loss of male foetuses within a gestation window of around 20-25 weeks.” That's why three to five months after a stressful event, you may see a fall in the number of boys that are born.

But why are male foetuses less equipped to hang on in times of crisis than girls? Fertility expert Allan Pacey from the University of Sheffield says we simply haven’t figured that out yet, though it’s likely to be linked to stress hormones like cortisol. “We do know that stressful events in people's lives, such as terrorism, earthquakes, war, can lead to alterations in the sex ratio,” he says. “But nobody knows the mechanism by which this effect manifests itself.”

Retnakaran’s work chimes with research from the end of 2019 that found pregnant women experiencing physical and psychological stress are less likely to have a boy. Study author Catherine Monk, professor of medical psychology at Columbia University in New York, says this might be explained from an evolutionary standpoint.

“We don’t need as many males to carry a species forward as we do females,” she says. “One man can contribute to reproduction with a lot of different females, so girls are favoured in stressful times.”

But can an upsetting election result really be considered in the same bracket as a natural disaster or terrorist attack? And even if it could, why would Trump’s win have this effect in Canada?

Retnakaran figured the victory for the right-leaning Republican nominee could have global implications and hence be perceived as a stressor in left-leaning nations. And Canada, a historically liberal country with close geographic, economic and socio-political ties to the US might feel this more acutely.

“Maybe this research says more about liberals in Ontario. Maybe they should chill out more,” says Pacey. “But if their stress hormones went up in the same way that people react badly to terrorist attacks, then I can see this mechanism operating.”

It’s not the first time Trump’s win has been studied in relation to birth outcomes. Last year, Ralph Catalano and colleagues from the University of California, Berkeley discovered a significant jump in preterm births to Latina mothers living in the US in the nine months following the 2016 political result. “This new work surprises me only because it suggests that Canadians were stressed by the election of Donald Trump. I don't know any epidemiologist qualified to explain that,” Catalano says.

And isn’t the only thing that can affect the sex ratio. There’s a whole host of bizarre suggestions in the scientific literature. Billionaires are more likely to have sons. As are mothers who eat cereal for breakfast. While extreme weather or fasting during Ramadan appears to favour girls.

An important caveat though: Retnakaran’s paper and these similar studies can only establish correlation, not cause. And these are observations at the population level, not the individual. While there are loads of myths about lifestyle changes that can influence a baby’s sex — from a man’s choice of underwear to eating acidic foods — the evidence just isn’t there. The probability of a woman giving birth to a boy or girl will remain the same as a coin toss whatever you do, stresses Pacey.

“I once met a woman who dipped her husband's testicles in hot water every night because she wanted a girl,” he reveals. “The problem is whatever crazy thing that’s tried, 50 per cent will think it worked for them, while the other half will be disappointed.”

Link

Always good to google who writes these pieces to see what they look like. Never fails to explain what you are dealing with.

[Image: P8PnRQDJ_400x400.jpg]

03-06-2020 08:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Trump’s election may have messed up the sex balance of babies
What did i just read? This makes more sense.

[[/u]VILLAGER #3: B--... 'cause they're made of wood?

BEDEVERE: Good!

CROWD: Oh yeah, yeah.

BEDEVERE: So, how do we tell whether she is made of wood?

VILLAGER #1: Build a bridge out of her.

BEDEVERE: Aah, but can you not also make bridges out of stone?

VILLAGER #2: Oh, yeah.

BEDEVERE: Does wood sink in water?

VILLAGER #1: No, no.

VILLAGER #2: It floats! It floats!

VILLAGER #1: Throw her into the pond!
03-06-2020 08:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
If this isn't the Onion, all I can say, is Ontario needs to non-breed itself into non-existence. I mean, they can honestly say, "not my president."
03-06-2020 09:14 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Why do Canadian liberals give a crap who the U.S. President is? They can't even figure out what language they want to use.
03-06-2020 09:56 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Trump’s election may have messed up the sex balance of babies
They are bitter because Trudy dropped to his knees when Trump walked in the room.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2020 10:03 PM by EverRespect.)
03-06-2020 10:02 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Is there anything that isn't Trumps fault? Wow, such unbelievable crap. If stressful times cause this to happen I guess we didn't have any boys being born during WWII. Too funny.
03-06-2020 10:22 PM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Maybe it's because Liberal men are sissy boys and just dont have as many XY swimmers because of their soy consumption.
03-07-2020 11:26 AM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-07-2020 11:26 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  Maybe it's because Liberal men are sissy boys and just dont have as many XY swimmers because of their soy consumption.

03-lmfao03-lmfao That’s as plausible an answer as anything else offered!!

Wondering if there are any soy boys wanting to procreate with the studies author??
03-07-2020 11:58 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-07-2020 11:58 AM)Crebman Wrote:  
(03-07-2020 11:26 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  Maybe it's because Liberal men are sissy boys and just dont have as many XY swimmers because of their soy consumption.

03-lmfao03-lmfao That’s as plausible an answer as anything else offered!!

Wondering if there are any soy boys wanting to procreate with the studies author??

[Image: P8PnRQDJ_400x400.jpg][Image: pat2-742146.jpg]

pick your poison in compare/contrast?!
03-07-2020 12:03 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Well like I tell my Brother who has 4 girls......

It takes a man to make a man.....

Probably explains what’s going in those liberal shitholes.
03-07-2020 12:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.