Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Mitt Romney Signals He May Kill Subpoena In Biden-Burisma Probe
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Mitt Romney Signals He May Kill Subpoena In Biden-Burisma Probe
This is the same character who went along with Democrats in a purely political impeachment. And let’s not look behind the curtain at the guy on the Burisma board who was an advisor to Romney.

Quote:Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) made comments that many took to mean that he would vote against a subpoena in the investigation into Joe Biden's Ukrainian scandal.

"There's no question but that the appearance of looking into Burisma and Hunter Biden appears political," Romney said to reporters on Thursday.

"And I think people are tired of these kind of political investigations," he added, "and would hope that if there's something of significance that needs to be evaluated, that it would be done by perhaps the FBI or some other agency that's not as political as perhaps a committee of our, of our body."

Romney's skepticism presents a problem for the investigation, since he could be the deciding vote on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Committee Chairman Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) issued the request for the subpoena on Monday for testimony from a witness about Hunter Biden's time on the board of Ukrainian energy company Burisma.

While Romney did not explicitly say how he would vote on the committee on the subpoena, if he voted against issuing it, the subpoena would not be approved.

Romney was also the lone Republican to vote in favor of convicting the president on the Democrats' articles of impeachment, which drew the ire of many Republicans and other supporters of the president.

Link
03-06-2020 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Mitt Romney Signals He May Kill Subpoena In Biden-Burisma Probe
(03-06-2020 12:51 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  This is the same character who went along with Democrats in a purely political impeachment. And let’s not look behind the curtain at the guy on the Burisma board who was an advisor to Romney.

Quote:Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) made comments that many took to mean that he would vote against a subpoena in the investigation into Joe Biden's Ukrainian scandal.

"There's no question but that the appearance of looking into Burisma and Hunter Biden appears political," Romney said to reporters on Thursday.

"And I think people are tired of these kind of political investigations," he added, "and would hope that if there's something of significance that needs to be evaluated, that it would be done by perhaps the FBI or some other agency that's not as political as perhaps a committee of our, of our body."

Romney's skepticism presents a problem for the investigation, since he could be the deciding vote on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Committee Chairman Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) issued the request for the subpoena on Monday for testimony from a witness about Hunter Biden's time on the board of Ukrainian energy company Burisma.

While Romney did not explicitly say how he would vote on the committee on the subpoena, if he voted against issuing it, the subpoena would not be approved.

Romney was also the lone Republican to vote in favor of convicting the president on the Democrats' articles of impeachment, which drew the ire of many Republicans and other supporters of the president.

Link

Romney has ties to Burisma as well, just not as directly. I believe one of his chief donors, who may have been one of his former campaign managers, has a seat on the management panel at Burisma.

Romney is indelibly part of the Swamp and benefits from his associations with those who associate or work for Burisma.
03-06-2020 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
I admit, it’s taken me a long time to come to grips with the reality, but this episode has finally given me a moment of clarity about Romney: I am glad he lost the 2012 election to Obama. For all the negative impact Obama had on the country, I can now see that Romney would’ve been much worse. And when his term was up (either Jan. 2017 or Jan. 2021), he would’ve quietly walked away, leaving conservatives and Republicans with the check. So thankful that we were spared that.
03-06-2020 12:59 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-06-2020 12:59 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I admit, it’s taken me a long time to come to grips with the reality, but this episode has finally given me a moment of clarity about Romney: I am glad he lost the 2012 election to Obama. For all the negative impact Obama had on the country, I can now see that Romney would’ve been much worse. And when his term was up (either Jan. 2017 or Jan. 2021), he would’ve quietly walked away, leaving conservatives and Republicans with the check. So thankful that we were spared that.

I couldn't pull the trigger for that putz.....he's as slimy as they get....I simply stayed at home (again).....
03-06-2020 01:03 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-06-2020 01:03 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 12:59 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I admit, it’s taken me a long time to come to grips with the reality, but this episode has finally given me a moment of clarity about Romney: I am glad he lost the 2012 election to Obama. For all the negative impact Obama had on the country, I can now see that Romney would’ve been much worse. And when his term was up (either Jan. 2017 or Jan. 2021), he would’ve quietly walked away, leaving conservatives and Republicans with the check. So thankful that we were spared that.

I couldn't pull the trigger for that putz.....he's as slimy as they get....I simply stayed at home (again).....

He was raised that way. It started in Michigan with his dad and he's been a political mercenary moving wherever he had to in order to be elected ever since. Total POS in every sense of the word.

Now I'll be happy when some of the conservatives on this board begin seeing Bush Daddy and W in the same damned light, along with McCain.

If Washington is to be cleaned you have to objectively realize that some of the villains wear your colors.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2020 01:12 PM by JRsec.)
03-06-2020 01:11 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(03-06-2020 01:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

He was raised that way. It started in Michigan with his dad and he's been a political mercenary moving wherever he had to in order to be elected ever since. Total POS in every sense of the word.

Now I'll be happy when some of the conservatives on this board begin seeing Bush Daddy and W in the same damned light, along with McCain.

If Washington is to be cleaned you have to objectively realize that some of the villains wear your colors.

It's become apparent that the Bush family is as complicit in all the dirty dealings and good ol boy politics of the beltway as any democrat ever was. I hated to finally admit it because I was a Bush fan back when I wasn't nearly as interested in politics.
03-06-2020 02:01 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-06-2020 02:01 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

It's become apparent that the Bush family is as complicit in all the dirty dealings and good ol boy politics of the beltway as any democrat ever was. I hated to finally admit it because I was a Bush fan back when I wasn't nearly as interested in politics.

Examples other than the fact that they didn't like DJT?
03-06-2020 03:00 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

HW kept us from Michael Dukakis. And if not for conservatives like Perot and Buchanan, would have kept us from Clinton. W. kept us from Gore. Jeb was the anti-Pete Wilson. He helped turn Florida red. W., of course, completed the Republican takeover of Texas state govenrment.
03-06-2020 03:03 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-06-2020 03:00 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 02:01 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

Examples other than the fact that they didn't like DJT?

There are plenty. Just start by reading up on the Zapata Oil Company founded in 1953 and the partner involved and the dates and the connections and see if that peaks your curiosity. Early days involved Cuba and latter days involved the Bin Ladens.

And while your at it read the links I provided you on the SEC's contract duration and how the CBS Sports director started the talks early. Youi make too many assumptions based on personal feelings.

I like you as a poster, but much of what you request when you don't like what others have to say is a simple matter of looking up the data for yourself. If you care enough to comment you should care enough to investigate available information.

The Bush family is a Patrician political family on both sides, particularly on Barbara's side. But the time spent prior to the CIA for H.W. was wrapped up in CIA associations and probably started at Yale where he was a Bonesman. But how he rose to CIA director and then Reagan's V.P., and then President was no accident. Neither was Obama's father's connections to the Agency where he was an advisor in Africa.

Connections within the agency are seldom accidental. They can't afford for them to be. Draw your own conclusions, but also read up.
03-06-2020 03:12 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
Get rid of one McCain and get another one. Thank you Utah. You bunch of dumb asses.

The democrats need a McCain. Will we ever see one?
03-06-2020 03:13 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-06-2020 03:13 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Get rid of one McCain and get another one. Thank you Utah. You bunch of dumb asses.

McCain and Romney are Democrats.

You're from the South. Everybody was a Democrat in the South until the Civil Rights movement was backed by the Kennedy's. At that point there was a shift around 1968 and by the early 70's when more in the South lined up with Nixon rather than McGovern the switch began. It didn't mean their true identity was Republican and it didn't mean they abandoned their old Democratic machines at the state level.

This is what gives you Senators like Graham, Sessions, etc. These are guys who cut their teeth in days of the switch over and learned that you simply say what you have to say to get elected.

George C. Wallace was re-elected governor of Alabama his last time around by the black vote. He was elected in '64 running on a hard line segregationist platform.

This ain't nothin' new for these good ole' boys! Their game is politics not ideology and their aim is to stay elected no matter what lies they have to tell to do so.

And you bet your ass the Dems have a boat load of them. Just look at how awkward some of them look talking to blacks and Hispanics and promising the farm to the Commies. It's pathetic!
03-06-2020 03:21 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-06-2020 03:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 03:13 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Get rid of one McCain and get another one. Thank you Utah. You bunch of dumb asses.
You're from the South. Everybody was a Democrat in the South until the Civil Rights movement was backed by the Kennedy's. At that point there was a shift around 1968 and by the early 70's when more in the South lined up with Nixon rather than McGovern the switch began. It didn't mean their true identity was Republican and it didn't mean they abandoned their old Democratic machines at the state level.
This is what gives you Senators like Graham, Sessions, etc. These are guys who cut their teeth in days of the switch over and learned that you simply say what you have to say to get elected.
George C. Wallace was re-elected governor of Alabama his last time around by the black vote. He was elected in '64 running on a hard line segregationist platform.
This ain't nothin' new for these good ole' boys! Their game is politics not ideology and their aim is to stay elected no matter what lies they have to tell to do so.
And you bet your ass the Dems have a boat load of them. Just look at how awkward some of them look talking to blacks and Hispanics and promising the farm to the Commies. It's pathetic!

Wallace was elected first time in '62 not '64, four year term.
03-06-2020 03:23 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-06-2020 03:23 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I counted backwards from his '68 run for the Presidency and didn't think about the Governor's terms, but you need to check the Alabama terms. They run on odd years, or did when Wallace was elected.

Now how does that change my assertion?
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2020 03:30 PM by JRsec.)
03-06-2020 03:26 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-06-2020 03:26 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
I counted backwards from his '68 run for the Presidency and didn't think about the Governor's terms, but you are right.

Not at all. The part about the black vote the last time he ran is very interesting. One of the things he did was to build a bunch of trade schools around the state. A bunch of black friends that I grew up with went there, learned trades, and made far better livings than their parents or grandparents. And they voted for him.
03-06-2020 03:30 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
03-06-2020 03:37 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(03-06-2020 03:37 PM)green Wrote:  

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1235985697691111424

CHOOSE SIDES

He must have looked into a hat, and the hat told him to vote to subpoena Hunter.
03-06-2020 03:39 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-06-2020 03:30 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
I counted backwards from his '68 run for the Presidency and didn't think about the Governor's terms, but you are right.

Not at all. The part about the black vote the last time he ran is very interesting. One of the things he did was to build a bunch of trade schools around the state. A bunch of black friends that I grew up with went there, learned trades, and made far better livings than their parents or grandparents. And they voted for him.

I knew one of the Governors in Alabama fairly well. He told me a story about Wallace that revealed the man's genius. In his first campaign for state office he found himself shut out of a Democratic fund raiser being held in Birmingham because the party was particularly interested in seeing the incumbent reelected. Knowing he had not been invited to the exclusive event Wallace stayed at home and had members of his family call the residence where the fundraiser was being held and had himself paged all night long. This was to make the donors think he was at the party and was popular.

While governor he had one of the most effective dirty tricks cadre of any of his era.
03-06-2020 03:41 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Great story on Wallace!
03-06-2020 03:47 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-06-2020 03:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 03:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  McCain and Romney are Democrats.
I knew one of the Governors in Alabama fairly well. He told me a story about Wallace that revealed the man's genius. In his first campaign for state office he found himself shut out of a Democratic fund raiser being held in Birmingham because the party was particularly interested in seeing the incumbent reelected. Knowing he had not been invited to the exclusive event Wallace stayed at home and had members of his family call the residence where the fundraiser was being held and had himself paged all night long. This was to make the donors think he was at the party and was popular.
While governor he had one of the most effective dirty tricks cadre of any of his era.

I think Wallace was a lot like Huey Long in Louisiana--told the rednecks what they wanted to hear, but behind the scenes took pretty good care of the black population. There is a story that a number of black leaders came to see Huey with a request to remove a prohibition against blacks becoming registered nurses. Huey said, "I can fix that. You won't like my methods, so don't pay attention until it gets done." So Huey calls the legislature into special session, and addresses them at the start, "I had the most disgusting experience the other day. I went to visit Charity Hospital in New Orleans. There I say young white nurses, the pride of southern culture, having to run around and feed little n****r babies." Legislature passed it that afternoon.
03-06-2020 03:51 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-06-2020 03:51 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 03:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 03:23 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Wallace was elected first time in '62 not '64, four year term.

I think Wallace was a lot like Huey Long in Louisiana--told the rednecks what they wanted to hear, but behind the scenes took pretty good care of the black population. There is a story that a number of black leaders came to see Huey with a request to remove a prohibition against blacks becoming registered nurses. Huey said, "I can fix that. You won't like my methods, so don't pay attention until it gets done." So Huey calls the legislature into special session, and addresses them at the start, "I had the most disgusting experience the other day. I went to visit Charity Hospital in New Orleans. There I say young white nurses, the pride of southern culture, having to run around and feed little n****r babies." Legislature passed it that afternoon.

Who ever said demagogues couldn't be pragmatists too!04-cheers
03-06-2020 03:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.