Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Possible New Transfer Rules for Next Year
Bookmark and Share
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ers-saying

The new rule would mean that a student-athlete would not need to sit out a year on the first transfer.

I think that it is good for the student-athletes. I think that it could be very bad for G5/FCS football and mid-major basketball schools to protect their best athletes from being poached by the "big boys/girls".
03-01-2020 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Possible New Transfer Rules for Next Year
(03-01-2020 01:32 PM)Zorch Wrote:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ers-saying

The new rule would mean that a student-athlete would not need to sit out a year on the first transfer.

I think that it is good for the student-athletes. I think that it could be very bad for G5/FCS football and mid-major basketball schools to protect their best athletes from being poached by the "big boys/girls".
As a high major, why waste your time seeking out borderline high major high school kids when you can pick them up, already proven at the D1 level from lesser D1 conferences. Fun for a midmajor to retain guys the caliber of Marcus or Nate when they are being openly recruited every off season for 3 years.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2020 03:01 PM by mrjoolius.)
03-01-2020 02:59 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

The flipside is we could get guys like Andy to come to W&M easier. If you're a talented player buried on the bench you could switch to a mid major without sitting out.
03-01-2020 03:32 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

It's always about the P5's. They would get their desired "minor league system" under the guise of helping out the student athlete. It could happen the other way, on occasion, but not as often as it will towards the well-known programs. Ah, well...
03-01-2020 03:45 PM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

(03-01-2020 03:32 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  The flipside is we could get guys like Andy to come to W&M easier. If you're a talented player buried on the bench you could switch to a mid major without sitting out.

It could also slightly upgrade the talent level of high school seniors that we could attract since P5’s would recruit much more heavily from frosh/soph ranks of lower conferences. Not saying I like this overall, but looking for some bright sides. It won’t be every talented player that chooses to leave, especially if they like everything else that W&M has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-01-2020 03:59 PM
Florida tribe fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(03-01-2020 03:45 PM)billymac Wrote:  It's always about the P5's. They would get their desired "minor league system" under the guise of helping out the student athlete. It could happen the other way, on occasion, but not as often as it will towards the well-known programs. Ah, well...

It’s indeed fascinating how nimble and flexible NCAA leadership can be in changing rules Power 5 wants changed. And how rules that make it insanely painful for lower level leagues to reorganize into eight team leagues to garner more auto bids are too damaging to even contemplate.
03-01-2020 05:16 PM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

Just thinking about the very few transfers we've had over the years. Not counting the two Juco transfers and kids who transferred as grad students or who graduated from here, we've had more transfer in from big name schools than we've lost.

Going way back
Mark Arazin to LaSalle
Rocky Copley from Missouri
Ted O'Gorman to Iona
Kenny Lambiotte from UVA
Bill Phillips to St. Josephs
Viglianco from Birmingham Southern
Calvin Baker to UVA
Sean McCurdy from Arkansas
David Cohn from Colorado State
Matt Milon from Boston College
Hunter Seacat to Appalachian State
Van Vliet from Wisconsin
Audige to Northeastern
LJ Owens to UMBC
03-01-2020 07:00 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Left off that list, David Grabuloff and Bobby Fitzgibbons from Wake Forest and FSU (I think), and more importantly to our 1997-98 team. Also, Adam Payton from Vanderbilt, who was a beast for us. Mike Johnson transferred here from OK State, I think. JohnMark Ludwick was a transfer from UT-something as well, if memory serves.

Viglianco was *to* Birmingham Southern, I think. Also, I can't remember the point guard we had about the same time that transferred to Auburn. Justin Jackette also transferred to Manhattan, where he made the NCAA tournament when they won their conference tournament, I think. Greg Malinowski transferred to Georgetown a year before Audige and Owens.

Also, it looks like you've left grad transfers out, just wanted to point that out for those missing Pierce and Whitman.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2020 07:34 PM by WMInTheBurg.)
03-01-2020 07:27 PM
Naptown Tribe Online
All American

(03-01-2020 07:27 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Left off that list, David Grabuloff and Bobby Fitzgibbons from Wake Forest and FSU (I think), and more importantly to our 1997-98 team. Also, Adam Payton from Vanderbilt, who was a beast for us.

Viglianco was *to* Birmingham Southern, I think. Also, I can't remember the point guard we had about the same time that transferred to Auburn. Justin Jackette also transferred to Manhattan, where he made the NCAA tournament when they won their conference tournament, I think.

Was that PG Brett Howell?

03-01-2020 07:30 PM
Naptown Tribe Online
All American

Don’t forget Adam Hess transferred to us from Eastern Michigan and Hawley Smith transferred to us from Temple. David Cohn to us from Colorado State, etc...

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2020 07:54 PM by Naptown Tribe.)
03-01-2020 07:32 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-01-2020 07:32 PM)Naptown Tribe Wrote:  Don’t forget Adam Hess transferred to us from a Eastern Michigan and Hawley Smith transferred to us from Temple. David Cohn to us from Colorado State, etc...

Man, I can't believe I remembered Mike Johnson but forgot Adam Hess & Hawley Smith.
03-01-2020 07:39 PM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-01-2020 07:30 PM)Naptown Tribe Wrote:  
(03-01-2020 07:27 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Left off that list, David Grabuloff and Bobby Fitzgibbons from Wake Forest and FSU (I think), and more importantly to our 1997-98 team. Also, Adam Payton from Vanderbilt, who was a beast for us.

Viglianco was *to* Birmingham Southern, I think. Also, I can't remember the point guard we had about the same time that transferred to Auburn. Justin Jackette also transferred to Manhattan, where he made the NCAA tournament when they won their conference tournament, I think.

Was that PG Brett Howell?

It was. Seemed like every bit the same type of energy as we'd get to watch for 4 years in David Schneider.
03-01-2020 07:41 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Thanks for all of the posts for the players I missed, and I definitely had Tom V. backwards, but it shows that we get more players who drop from big programs to us rather than leaving for the big time schools.

I think the transfer rule change will do one and only one thing. Disrupt college basketball programs.

Is it better for the athletes, yes. Is it better for the schools, I don't think so.
03-01-2020 07:50 PM
WM_Destro Offline
Special Teams

Some other rather obscure names from the past 20 years or so, who were with the Tribe for a cup of coffee before leaving/transferring out

John Sexton
Alex English Jr
Vali Lazarescu (Canadian dunk champion IIRC)

03-01-2020 08:09 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Obscure. You want obscure? Edwin Ofori Atah. I didn't include him because I have no clue where he went. I know that Jack Jenkins went to D2, but don't know where. Anyone with that nugget?
03-01-2020 08:47 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-01-2020 08:09 PM)WM_Destro Wrote:  Some other rather obscure names from the past 20 years or so, who were with the Tribe for a cup of coffee before leaving/transferring out

John Sexton
Alex English Jr
Vali Lazarescu (Canadian dunk champion IIRC)

(03-01-2020 08:47 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Obscure. You want obscure? Edwin Ofori Atah. I didn't include him because I have no clue where he went. I know that Jack Jenkins went to D2, but don't know where. Anyone with that nugget?

Those are some solid names... Alex Smith ended up somewhere other than here also, right? EOA looked really good his freshman year. Did things no freshman had done for us, although plenty of freshmen have done them since.
03-01-2020 09:04 PM
Advertisement

wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
In some recess of my brain I remember EOA did some MMA fighting, but not sure about his basketball career.

03-01-2020 09:19 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

Good ones coming in:
Kenny Lambiotte from UVA (but his contributions were really more for football than basketball)
David Cohn
Matt Milon
Andy Van Vliet
Adam Hess
David Grabuloff
Bobby Fitzgibbons (his brother Terry was already on the Tribe roster)
Adam Payton
JohnMark Ludwick

Good ones going out:
Bill Phillips
Calvin Baker
Chase Audige (to NorthWESTern)

Those three really hurt because they left after freshman year. A lot of "what might have been"s with those three.
03-02-2020 12:45 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Agree that Phillips really hurt and that Audige should eventually hurt (but he hasn't played a minute yet and who knows what his future holds that might hinder his career). Baker never really hurt: he was a big time recruit but was more worried about himself and getting out of here than his teammates at W&M and, after leaving, was pretty much a flop at UVA . Frankly, he wasn't that memorable.

If this new rule goes through I agree mid-majors will become farm systems in many ways for the Big Five. Here at W&M we might not get hurt as much as others as our recruits, as a general rule, choose William & Mary for other things--education, location, school reputation--than just basketball. Our new facility construction and this staff may also help a bit in retaining recruits.
03-02-2020 06:44 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2020 06:44 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  If this new rule goes through I agree mid-majors will become farm systems in many ways for the Big Five. Here at W&M we might not get hurt as much as others as our recruits, as a general rule, choose William & Mary for other things--education, location, school reputation--than just basketball. Our new facility construction and this staff may also help a bit in retaining recruits.

I want to believe you, and after hearing Nate and Andy glow about how much W&M has meant to them, I want to believe them too. The reality though, do you really think if Nate could have transferred anywhere unhindered after testing the NBA waters, that he would have returned. My heart says yes. My head thinks he'd be seduced by the big time and be at somewhere like Kentucky or Syracuse.
Its not going to be fun being a fan of the CAA when every all-freshman team gets gutted every off season.
03-02-2020 07:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.