I Root For: huskies
MAC MBB seed watch
Akron 11-3 @BGSU @BUF Ohio KSU
BGSU 11-3 Akron @Miami @KSU BUF
BUF 9-5 @Ohio Akron Miami @BGSU
KSU 7-7 Miami @Ohio BGSU @Akron

NIU 9-5 @EMU @WMU Toledo BSU
BSU 8-6 WMU @Toledo CMU @NIU

Cannot really make an educated guess at this point on how these six will be seeded. Possibly by next Sunday one or two will rise or fall enough to clarify the seeding. For sure there will be some not firmed up until March 6th at midnight.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-23-2020 12:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JB04 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: MAC MBB seed watch
It definitely looks like the East is going to beat up on itself a bit, and that NIU and BSU have the easiest final stretch. But who knows what will happen
02-23-2020 01:22 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
Will be a tough even if NIU wins out to get a one seed. Either way it would it be huge to be on a 5 game win streak going into the Mac tourney and hit that 20 win mark.
02-23-2020 01:33 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
If I am thinking of things correctly, it is guaranteed NIU would lose out to Ball State in a 2-way tie in any scenario.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2020 12:39 AM by MaddDawgz02.)
02-23-2020 11:29 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(02-23-2020 01:33 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  Will be a tough even if NIU wins out to get a one seed. Either way it would it be huge to be on a 5 game win streak going into the Mac tourney and hit that 20 win mark.

In my opinion----there is not a different between us getting the 1 or 4 seed....a bye to Cleveland is a bye to Cleveland. For us, there is no disparity in whether we play the 5 or 8 seed in our "first" game. We won't play Akron or Bowling Green until the semis anyway.

If we win out and get the 1-2 great...if we go 2-2 and sneak it at 4--just as great. Getting the bye is one less coin flip game that we have to go through. My hunch is if we get into a 5-12, 6-11 scenario, nothing is guaranteed---even at home.
02-24-2020 09:42 AM
El Duderino Offline
Special Teams

Number one seed!!! 5 game win streak going into tourny play!!! Hope springs eternal.

That week ago loss to the worst team in the MAC missing their top 2 scorers is much to fresh in my mind to hope for miracles. That we pulled off a minor miracle Saturday after a 13 point reversal of score down by 4 with under a minute left was huge but did not inspire feelings of confidence.
If I were a betting man no way would I bet on NIU over EMU tomorrow night. EMU started off MAC season very poorly but have won 5 of their last 7 games including losing IN Akron by 1 point (we lost to Akron by 23 AT HOME)!
We will have to play very well to go into the tourny 11-7.
02-24-2020 09:54 AM
Advertisement

pantone1935 Offline
All American

(02-24-2020 09:54 AM)El Duderino Wrote:  Number one seed!!! 5 game win streak going into tourny play!!! Hope springs eternal.

That week ago loss to the worst team in the MAC missing their top 2 scorers is much to fresh in my mind to hope for miracles. That we pulled off a minor miracle Saturday after a 13 point reversal of score down by 4 with under a minute left was huge but did not inspire feelings of confidence.
If I were a betting man no way would I bet on NIU over EMU tomorrow night. EMU started off MAC season very poorly but have won 5 of their last 7 games including losing IN Akron by 1 point (we lost to Akron by 23 AT HOME)!

Hate to agree with the Dude but EMU is playing great. Also beat Kent by 21 (yes KSU shot 22% from the field, but still). I feel better about beating BSU in the finale than bringing home a win from Ypsilanti.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-24-2020 11:17 AM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(02-24-2020 09:42 AM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  
(02-23-2020 01:33 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  Will be a tough even if NIU wins out to get a one seed. Either way it would it be huge to be on a 5 game win streak going into the Mac tourney and hit that 20 win mark.

In my opinion----there is not a different between us getting the 1 or 4 seed....a bye to Cleveland is a bye to Cleveland. For us, there is no disparity in whether we play the 5 or 8 seed in our "first" game. We won't play Akron or Bowling Green until the semis anyway.

If we win out and get the 1-2 great...if we go 2-2 and sneak it at 4--just as great. Getting the bye is one less coin flip game that we have to go through. My hunch is if we get into a 5-12, 6-11 scenario, nothing is guaranteed---even at home.

I want the NIT bid. I would love for them to win the MAC tourney, but as we've seen they play well one or two games and then lay an egg. Just don't see them winning it.
02-24-2020 11:56 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(02-24-2020 11:17 AM)pantone1935 Wrote:  
(02-24-2020 09:54 AM)El Duderino Wrote:  Number one seed!!! 5 game win streak going into tourny play!!! Hope springs eternal.

Hate to agree with the Dude but EMU is playing great. Also beat Kent by 21 (yes KSU shot 22% from the field, but still). I feel better about beating BSU in the finale than bringing home a win from Ypsilanti.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EMU is playing great but the big worry with them is somewhat similar to NIU, their offense can go MIA for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. It just takes one of those bad stretches to end a tourney run. That will be the challenge for both NIU and EMU. EMU and NIU exhibit great "sputterability" potential, as opposed to Clark Kellog's "spurtability"
02-24-2020 01:58 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

Milwaukee Pilot, the no.1 seed gets an invite to the NIT tourney if they don’t lose the MAC tourney so there is a difference in seeds.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2020 04:54 PM by dc1.)
02-24-2020 04:05 PM
HuskieDave Online
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(02-24-2020 04:05 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Milwaukee Pilot, the no.1 seed gets an invite to the NIU tourney if they don’t lose the MAC tourney so there is a difference in seeds.

Ah, I think you mean the NIT tournament, and, if they Do lose in the MAC tourney.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2020 04:36 PM by HuskieDave.)
02-24-2020 04:35 PM
Advertisement

Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(02-24-2020 04:05 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Milwaukee Pilot, the no.1 seed gets an invite to the NIT tourney if they don’t lose the MAC tourney so there is a difference in seeds.

Agree with that 100%---but if you are a top four seed your goal had better not be the NIT. If that is the fallback great, but I'm sure Akron or Bowling Green will be highly disappointed with an NIT bid.

I guess my point, I feel our odds of winning the tourney are going to be the same whether we are the 1 or the 4.......and to your point, probably the only path we have to NIT is to be the number 1 seed and lose.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2020 08:49 AM by Milwaukee Pilot.)
02-25-2020 08:47 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(02-25-2020 08:47 AM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  
(02-24-2020 04:05 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Milwaukee Pilot, the no.1 seed gets an invite to the NIT tourney if they don’t lose the MAC tourney so there is a difference in seeds.

Agree with that 100%---but if you are a top four seed your goal had better not be the NIT. If that is the fallback great, but I'm sure Akron or Bowling Green will be highly disappointed with an NIT bid.

I guess my point, I feel our odds of winning the tourney are going to be the same whether we are the 1 or the 4.......and to your point, probably the only path we have to NIT is to be the number 1 seed and lose.

Yes not much change in chances from the 1 to 4. In NIU's case, I think going to the 5 seed honestly only drops their chances from like 6 percent to 4 percent. NIU's overall chances are pretty low so the extra game against an inferior opponent at home doesnt change too much. But also yes, right now Id say the margin between a UB/BGSU/Akron in terms of quality of team is paper thin also reinforcing your point that the seed is not all that important. To be honest, my main motivation to root for a top 4 seed is for planning purposes. Headed to Cleveland this year, and knowing their seed would help plan the trip out
02-25-2020 02:51 PM
El Duderino Offline
Special Teams

IF the 4 & 5 seeds come down to to the last NIU game against Ball State and we beat them and have the same record as them, how is the tie breaker determined? By head to head points? They won by 4 so we have to beat em by 5!
02-25-2020 03:22 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(02-25-2020 03:22 PM)El Duderino Wrote:  IF the 4 & 5 seeds come down to to the last NIU game against Ball State and we beat them and have the same record as them, how is the tie breaker determined? By head to head points? They won by 4 so we have to beat em by 5!

After head to head record, it will go to division record, Ball State would beat NIU on division record unfortunately. NIU cannot win a 2-way tiebreak with Ball State in any circumstance where NIU and BSU are the top 2 teams in the division. The only exception where NIU could beat Ball State in a 2-team tiebreak is if NIU and Ball State were NOT tied for the division lead (in that case we are not talking about NIU as a bye team anyway as it would take an NIU late season collapse) In that case, division record is not used and after head to head you go to record vs top seeded teams. NIU would win out since it was 1-0 vs UB and BSU was 1-1

Now if its a 3 way tiebreak NIU/BSU/Buffalo and NIU beats Ball State, NIU would be the 3 seed! That is why this UB game tonight is pretty big, it would be nice to draw UB into a tiebreak scenario, either 2-way with NIU/UB or 3-way with NIU/Ball State/UB
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2020 04:01 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
02-25-2020 03:48 PM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

(02-25-2020 03:48 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(02-25-2020 03:22 PM)El Duderino Wrote:  IF the 4 & 5 seeds come down to to the last NIU game against Ball State and we beat them and have the same record as them, how is the tie breaker determined? By head to head points? They won by 4 so we have to beat em by 5!

After head to head record, it will go to division record, Ball State would beat NIU on division record unfortunately. NIU cannot win a 2-way tiebreak with Ball State in any circumstance where NIU and BSU are the top 2 teams in the division. The only exception where NIU could beat Ball State in a 2-team tiebreak is if NIU and Ball State were NOT tied for the division lead (in that case we are not talking about NIU as a bye team anyway as it would take an NIU late season collapse) In that case, division record is not used and after head to head you go to record vs top seeded teams. NIU would win out since it was 1-0 vs UB and BSU was 1-1

Now if its a 3 way tiebreak NIU/BSU/Buffalo and NIU beats Ball State, NIU would be the 3 seed! That is why this UB game tonight is pretty big, it would be nice to draw UB into a tiebreak scenario, either 2-way with NIU/UB or 3-way with NIU/Ball State/UB

Whoa MD. If not wrong I think NIU and BSU are both 4-2 in the west.
So if both win out until final Friday and Huskies win then we win tiebreaker. What am I missing?

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-25-2020 05:35 PM
Advertisement

dc1 Offline
Special Teams

Pantone, you are right not sure what MAddawg is talking about. A tie with Ball St probably goes all the way down to the score of our two games.
02-25-2020 06:21 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(02-25-2020 06:21 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Pantone, you are right not sure what MAddawg is talking about. A tie with Ball St probably goes all the way down to the score of our two games.

Score does not factor into tiebreakers
02-25-2020 07:19 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(02-25-2020 05:35 PM)pantone1935 Wrote:  
(02-25-2020 03:48 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Whoa MD. If not wrong I think NIU and BSU are both 4-2 in the west.
So if both win out until final Friday and Huskies win then we win tiebreaker. What am I missing?

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ball state is a game.behind NIU right now, if they end up tied Ball state would be +1 the rest of the way over NiU with division games since all games remaining are division games
02-25-2020 07:21 PM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

Update

BGSU 12-3 @Buf Ohio KSU
Akron 11-4 @Mia @KSU Buf
Buffalo 9-6 Akron Miami @BGSU
Kent st 8-7 @Ohio BGSU @Akron

NIU 10-5 @WMU Toledo BSU
BSU 9-6 @Toledo CMU @NIU

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-26-2020 09:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.