Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Save Our Cheerleaders
Bookmark and Share
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
Save Our Cheerleaders
We have expressed our dismay at the cheerleaders not being at all our basketball games. Athletics did indeed cut the cheerleading program. The team receives no funding, and Aubrey is a volunteer coach. They are currently in their own competitive season and doing fundraising when and where they can. Because Athletics does not do anything for their program, they have prioritized their season over which games to attend. They have to do what's best for the cheerleaders. So they are left to fend for themselves. Aubrey lives almost an hour away, and this is beginning to take a toll on her as a full-time job. However, she feels that if she walks away, the cheerleading program will fold. This is Aubrey's third season since Athletics cut the program.

The cheerleaders have set up a GoFundMe page to accept donations. Please, if you value the cheerleaders as an integral part of our athletic events, please donate what you can. Aubrey and the cheerleaders will greatly appreciate it, and it may mean their survival and continued support of our teams. Here is the link to donate:

Save NIU's Cheerleaders
02-19-2020 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SRprepfootball Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Save Our Cheerleaders
Can't donate much but I put down a $20. Hope it helps!
02-19-2020 04:28 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-19-2020 04:28 PM)SRprepfootball Wrote:  Can't donate much but I put down a $20. Hope it helps!

Everything helps! They are struggling to survive, and all costs are borne by the cheerleaders and Aubrey. I find that this is an incredibly disgusting situation.

Aubrey's goal is $15,000. Costs for uniforms, equipment, and travel are not cheap. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could exceed her goal?

I know that Aubrey and the cheerleaders appreciate everyone's support in any amount.
02-19-2020 04:33 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

The cheerleaders are fundraising for there competition in Florida. NIU Athletics is all for the cheerleaders but as a group that supports NIU Athletic events. We can not afford to fund a competition/traveling team at this time. They are free to fundraiser where and whenever they want. I’m sure they could get a pretty big 50/50 raffle going at Cram the convo
02-19-2020 07:05 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Save Our Cheerleaders
(02-19-2020 07:05 PM)dc1 Wrote:  The cheerleaders are fundraising for there competition in Florida. NIU Athletics is all for the cheerleaders but as a group that supports NIU Athletic events. We can not afford to fund a competition/traveling team at this time. They are free to fundraiser where and whenever they want. I’m sure they could get a pretty big 50/50 raffle going at Cram the convo

Of course the cheerleaders could fundraise for their competitions. The issue is that they are no longer a part of Athletics. They lost their funding. If it would be me, I would tell Athletics where to stick it. However, they have pride in what they do, and want to help the teams in any way they can. The uniforms, equipment, and travel to away games cost money, which they must cover. In addition, when they win or place high in their competitions, they represent NIU, giving the university pride and some free marketing. It’s not fair, and Athletics should be ashamed of themselves.
02-19-2020 07:39 PM
machoman83 Offline
2nd String

This is a shame. Cheer and band are two of the biggest things that make a college athletic atmosphere so great/unique. I’d assume if you ask any players and fans most of them would say they love and appreciate having the cheerleaders there. Us fans should absolutely donate and try to help. And the school and athletic dept should be embarrassed by this. They are always preaching taking the school/athletics “to the next level” but this is taking us backwards.

If anyone on this board has any newspaper/media connections, I’m sure the cutting of the cheerleading program from the athletic dept and the team having to raise money on their own would make quite the story. Especially from a big university. And the extra attention would help donations and hopefully nudge the school to chip in some too
02-19-2020 08:38 PM
Advertisement

chihuskie Offline
Heisman

This is something that is just plain DISGUSTING. And it shows a complete lack of understanding of what true big time athletics is. It is cheerleaders. It is student organizations. It is frats and sororities. It is a band program. It is silverettes. It is a mascot.

And to not fund cheerleading (a co-ed sport) to claim poverty when we fund a baseball program, for example, that just makes no sense for NIU (a cold weather school) is just stupid. No other words.

Sorry, I don't mean to go off, but yes I do. This is disgusting, ridiculous, and cannot be supported in any way shape or form.

I will donate to the cheerleaders. And I will (upon hearing this) trumpet for the removal of STF, or I will blend into the background and become a former fan. This failure to understand anything about how to build a program-- how to support a program-- how to take care of a fan base -- for me is just inexcusable and intolerable.
02-19-2020 09:20 PM
dogdangit Offline
2nd String

(02-19-2020 07:39 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(02-19-2020 07:05 PM)dc1 Wrote:  The cheerleaders are fundraising for there competition in Florida. NIU Athletics is all for the cheerleaders but as a group that supports NIU Athletic events. We can not afford to fund a competition/traveling team at this time. They are free to fundraiser where and whenever they want. I’m sure they could get a pretty big 50/50 raffle going at Cram the convo

Of course the cheerleaders could fundraise for their competitions. The issue is that they are no longer a part of Athletics. They lost their funding. If it would be me, I would tell Athletics where to stick it. However, they have pride in what they do, and want to help the teams in any way they can. The uniforms, equipment, and travel to away games cost money, which they must cover. In addition, when they win or place high in their competitions, they represent NIU, giving the university pride and some free marketing. It’s not fair, and Athletics should be ashamed of themselves.

I agree with dc1, every organization on campus is getting their funding cut including mine, and we were already getting less than $500 a year. I'm all for cheerleading supporting on campus events but their budget would be drastically different if they didn't need to fundraise for a luxury trip to Daytona beach just to finish 2nd or 3rd out of 4 teams in their class. Only 4 other schools in the MAC go to this "nationals" and the only other Illinois schools that compete are UIC and SIU. Illini cheerleaders are fully funded and considered student athletes, yet do not compete.
02-19-2020 09:22 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2020 08:38 PM)machoman83 Wrote:  This is a shame. Cheer and band are two of the biggest things that make a college athletic atmosphere so great/unique. I’d assume if you ask any players and fans most of them would say they love and appreciate having the cheerleaders there. Us fans should absolutely donate and try to help. And the school and athletic dept should be embarrassed by this. They are always preaching taking the school/athletics “to the next level” but this is taking us backwards.

If anyone on this board has any newspaper/media connections, I’m sure the cutting of the cheerleading program from the athletic dept and the team having to raise money on their own would make quite the story. Especially from a big university. And the extra attention would help donations and hopefully nudge the school to chip in some too
It's a Title IX issue. How do you fund a men's baseball team that makes no sense, and not fund a co-ed sport predominately populated by females? Because you are sexist or stupid or both.

And note: I don't usually insult people. But, sometimes it's what is necessary.
02-19-2020 09:23 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(02-19-2020 09:20 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  This is something that is just plain DISGUSTING. And it shows a complete lack of understanding of what true big time athletics is. It is cheerleaders. It is student organizations. It is frats and sororities. It is a band program. It is silverettes. It is a mascot.

And to not fund cheerleading (a co-ed sport) to claim poverty when we fund a baseball program, for example, that just makes no sense for NIU (a cold weather school) is just stupid. No other words.

Sorry, I don't mean to go off, but yes I do. This is disgusting, ridiculous, and cannot be supported in any way shape or form.

I will donate to the cheerleaders. And I will (upon hearing this) trumpet for the removal of STF, or I will blend into the background and become a former fan. This failure to understand anything about how to build a program-- how to support a program-- how to take care of a fan base -- for me is just inexcusable and intolerable.

+100000. I’ll still buy tickets but my donations are done and going to the cheerleaders. This is far more infuriating and inexcusable than SeatGeek.
02-19-2020 09:30 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I agree the Florida trip is an extra, but IMO too much focus here on Florida. The Illini cheerleaders don't need to compete to try to gain attention because they are fully funded. I also bet they don't have to pay their own way to away football and basketball games either.

Remember this is the same athletic administration that cut the marching band back a few years ago. It exists today because NIU President Lisa freeman acted to bring it back. And I believe the a.dept. also cut the Silverettes. Yet they talk big about building up the fan experience.

Take a good look at what cheerleaders actually do. Many fans don't get off their butts; they just sit there and watch ... until the cheerleaders start motivating them. They actually do lead cheers, because a lot of fans don't know what to do. The cheerleaders also get the fans together on a particular chant or cheer. Cheerleading is exacty that.

BTW, I know of several coaches, including at NIU, who had signals to the cheerleader captain when they needed/wanted the fans to get loud. Especially basketball. Some of that noise "at the right times" was no accident.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 09:51 PM by pvk75.)
02-19-2020 09:49 PM
Advertisement

dc1 Offline
Special Teams

The cheerleaders want and will attend all football games but when it comes to b-ball games it’s usually no or up in the air. They’ve been to 2-3 games this season. As far as road games I don’t think the band has been going anywhere so not surprised the cheerleaders don’t get to go either. Hopefully next year they’ll be able to get a budget and get some more help but as far as a competition squad I don’t believe that’s in the cards.
02-19-2020 10:09 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2020 10:09 PM)dc1 Wrote:  The cheerleaders want and will attend all football games but when it comes to b-ball games it’s usually no or up in the air. They’ve been to 2-3 games this season. As far as road games I don’t think the band has been going anywhere so not surprised the cheerleaders don’t get to go either. Hopefully next year they’ll be able to get a budget and get some more help but as far as a competition squad I don’t believe that’s in the cards.

You can't cut funding for years, and then "restore funding" (which I would love to see happen and I would love to hear STF commit to it NOW) and expect everything to be ok. It's not. Head shake.

I could get sad--- but I am not! I am going to get mad! This is extreme incompetence.
02-19-2020 10:43 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(02-19-2020 10:09 PM)dc1 Wrote:  The cheerleaders want and will attend all football games but when it comes to b-ball games it’s usually no or up in the air. They’ve been to 2-3 games this season. As far as road games I don’t think the band has been going anywhere so not surprised the cheerleaders don’t get to go either. Hopefully next year they’ll be able to get a budget and get some more help but as far as a competition squad I don’t believe that’s in the cards.

Don't believe your initial comment is fair or necessarily accurate. Since we had lousy weather during the majority of each football game, I don't remember the exact game, but one of them I posted a salute to the band and cheerleaders sticking it out through monsoon like stretches of drenching rain when it also wasn't too warm. So the idea that they "wanted" to be there as opposed to basketball is debatable. When it comes to basketball games I don't know if they're appreciated versus the spotlight of never-ending solicitation plugs, the annoying DJ, and the too loud rap music. I'd be okay with every timeout featuring the band, cheerleaders, or Silverettes.
02-19-2020 11:31 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(02-19-2020 10:43 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  

You can't cut funding for years, and then "restore funding" (which I would love to see happen and I would love to hear STF commit to it NOW) and expect everything to be ok. It's not. Head shake.

I could get sad--- but I am not! I am going to get mad! This is extreme incompetence.

I have no idea why you can’t restore funding to a previously cut program. We did it with baseball, which was eliminated for 9 years.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2020 07:43 AM by HuskieDave.)
02-19-2020 11:47 PM
fathuskie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
This is what I was told talking to one of the cheerleaders, they work many events at the convocation center like regional youth cheer events, they pick up trash, vending whatever they can do to earn money and all their wages go into a check for the cheer program, that is where most of their funds come from. This go fund me is not a fundraiser to get them to Orlando.

They also said they do not get any compensation or financial support for appearing at games but are expected (at least by the fans) to show up, and the Cheerleaders want to be there to cheer at the games, that's why they have rented vans and paid out of their own pockets to travel to Nebraska, Iowa and other places to be at the game. She also said they cannot see or be seen by the athletic department trainers if injured since they are not apart of athletics.

If you can't afford to make a donation, please take a minute and please share the go fund me on social media, getting the word out would help them a lot.

They are also hosting a fundraiser at Fatty's on March 5th, with all proceeds going to the cheer program as well. Here is the information
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/save-the-ni...i76W3KkDPw
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 11:58 PM by fathuskie.)
02-19-2020 11:56 PM
Advertisement

chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2020 11:47 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  
(02-19-2020 10:43 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  

I have no idea why you can’t restore funding to a previously cut program. We did it with baseball, which was eliminated for 9 uears.

You are correct that funding can be restored. My point was that, you can't cut it and then years later assume everything is going to be great because you later restore it. Cutting it will have long lingering effects.
02-20-2020 01:28 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-19-2020 11:56 PM)fathuskie Wrote:  This is what I was told talking to one of the cheerleaders, they work many events at the convocation center like regional youth cheer events, they pick up trash, vending whatever they can do to earn money and all their wages go into a check for the cheer program, that is where most of their funds come from. This go fund me is not a fundraiser to get them to Orlando.

They also said they do not get any compensation or financial support for appearing at games but are expected (at least by the fans) to show up, and the Cheerleaders want to be there to cheer at the games, that's why they have rented vans and paid out of their own pockets to travel to Nebraska, Iowa and other places to be at the game. She also said they cannot see or be seen by the athletic department trainers if injured since they are not apart of athletics.

If you can't afford to make a donation, please take a minute and please share the go fund me on social media, getting the word out would help them a lot.

They are also hosting a fundraiser at Fatty's on March 5th, with all proceeds going to the cheer program as well. Here is the information
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/save-the-ni...i76W3KkDPw

This is not only cruel and disgusting, but it borders on criminal. So, if (God forbid) a cheerleader falls during a routine and is writhing in pain, no one from Athletics will tend to her/him? This is beyond indecent. So, I guess they are expected to have their own medical people on standby? If I were the cheerleaders, I would not perform at any NIU events. Maybe that's why that ambulance took so long to arrive at the basketball game - they thought it was for a cheerleader! Well, I guess we can now add medical treatment to their list of needs. As NIU fans, it is the right thing for us to make sure they have the necessary funds to address their needs.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2020 08:28 AM by Dog Fan.)
02-20-2020 08:17 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
This is so pathetic - we're definitely going backwards.

Fans "expect" cheerleaders at games but they expect them to be funded so they can be there, not have to go at their own expense. That's ridiculous for a program that is supposedly Division I.
02-20-2020 08:25 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Even if the cheerleaders get all the funds they need, they are still risking themselves by performing unless they have their own medical people at every game. I guess this means that if they are injured due to NIU's negligence, they can't sue because they are not authorized to be there? Did Athletics make they sign a release of liability?
02-20-2020 09:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.