CCHA name coming back
Bookmark and Share
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
CCHA name coming back
https://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/...5e005.html

Rumors from BGSU have said for several years and that this would happen.

Guess St Thomas from St Paul will join.
02-18-2020 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: CCHA name coming back
Nothing beats history and tradition.
02-18-2020 10:31 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Not too surprising, the Alaska schools have come to a crossroads.

Actually it'd be cool if they could become part of this...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Co...key_League
02-19-2020 08:14 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
And again, NO, Miami wants no part of that league. Best of luck to you BGSU
02-19-2020 09:24 AM
TalonsUpPuckDown Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bowling Green
(02-19-2020 09:24 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  And again, NO, Miami wants no part of that league. Best of luck to you BGSU

I wouldn't be so sure, hoss...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2...w-CCHA.php

Relevant paragraphs:

Quote:I've heard it from enough people over the last year or so — Miami wants to move. It can deny it publicly all it wants, but it's practically common knowledge at this point within college hockey's inner circles. Being in the NCHC is an expensive proposition for Miami, and even though its monumental on-ice success in the 2000s enabled the school to do a lot of big things, it still doesn't have the resources of the nearby Big Ten schools, for example. Miami wants to go, and is willing to pay the heft NCHC exit fee to do it.

Western Michigan, on the other hand, has no interest in moving. Maybe that would change with a different athletic director or head coach. But as it stands, WMU's powers-that-be love being in the NCHC. They think it's helped them attract players that it wouldn't otherwise get.

What I'd been hearing is the CCHA conversations with Western have concluded while the conversations with Miami are still ongoing. Wodon's article seems to back that up.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 03:56 PM by TalonsUpPuckDown.)
02-19-2020 03:55 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(02-19-2020 08:14 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Not too surprising, the Alaska schools have come to a crossroads.

It’s more like part of the BCIHC becomes part of the WCHA. Simon Fraser wants DI hockey for all of Canada and since they are DII they could join. The WCHA would need four teams growing to six to maintain their autobid so welcome Arizona St, which would almost be automatic autobid for them.

UAH isnt out either as Austin Peay and Clarksvillle will build an new arena run by the Predators, which wants more Nashville area hockey. High Point U in NC also is building a DI rink and they publically have stated they want DI hockey

Liberty and Lindenwood have great facilities too now and both will start DI.

The sixth could com FGCU, which has a minor league rink near campus, or Georgia, as the city of Athens voted to build an arena near campus.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2020 03:41 AM by NoDak.)
02-20-2020 12:12 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(02-20-2020 12:12 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(02-19-2020 08:14 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Not too surprising, the Alaska schools have come to a crossroads.

It’s more like part of the BCIHC becomes part of the WCHA. Simon Fraser wants DI hockey for all of Canada and since they are DII they could join. The WCHA would need four teams growing to six to maintain their autobid so welcome Arizona St, which would almost be automatic autobid for them.

UAH isnt out either as Austin Peay and Clarksvillle will build an new arena run by the Predators, which wants more Nashville area hockey. High Point U in NC also is building a DI rink and they publically have stated they want DI hockey

Liberty and Lindenwood have great facilities too now and both will start DI.

The sixth could com FGCU, which has a minor league rink near campus, or Georgia, as the city of Athens voted to build an arena near campus.

More delusional expansion thoughts......... there is another board for this.....
02-21-2020 10:35 AM
All American

(02-19-2020 03:55 PM)TalonsUpPuckDown Wrote:  
(02-19-2020 09:24 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  And again, NO, Miami wants no part of that league. Best of luck to you BGSU

Relevant paragraphs:

Quote:I've heard it from enough people over the last year or so — Miami wants to move. It can deny it publicly all it wants, but it's practically common knowledge at this point within college hockey's inner circles. Being in the NCHC is an expensive proposition for Miami, and even though its monumental on-ice success in the 2000s enabled the school to do a lot of big things, it still doesn't have the resources of the nearby Big Ten schools, for example. Miami wants to go, and is willing to pay the heft NCHC exit fee to do it.

Western Michigan, on the other hand, has no interest in moving. Maybe that would change with a different athletic director or head coach. But as it stands, WMU's powers-that-be love being in the NCHC. They think it's helped them attract players that it wouldn't otherwise get.

What I'd been hearing is the CCHA conversations with Western have concluded while the conversations with Miami are still ongoing. Wodon's article seems to back that up.

C'mon man. This makes zero sense. So the best team in the CCHA leaves for the better conference and WMU stays put and we join a rag-tag league where even the author says is on shaky funding grounds and have to pay a huge bounty to do it? Thats just not realistic. And travel would be no better really and if travel was such a huge issue than we just quit scheduling half of Hockey East every year. We voluntarily schedule Providence and Maine and UMASS Lowell every year but that author says we are worried about travel... no credibility in that article. NONE.
02-21-2020 02:21 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-21-2020 02:21 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

Relevant paragraphs:

C'mon man. This makes zero sense. So the best team in the CCHA leaves for the better conference and WMU stays put and we join a rag-tag league where even the author says is on shaky funding grounds and have to pay a huge bounty to do it? Thats just not realistic. And travel would be no better really and if travel was such a huge issue than we just quit scheduling half of Hockey East every year. We voluntarily schedule Providence and Maine and UMASS Lowell every year but that author says we are worried about travel... no credibility in that article. NONE.

You are saying there is no credibility in that article because leaving the NCHC is something you are very much against. There is one reliable poster on Hawktalk that stated that several athletic department members expressed concern over just how much money it is costing to play in the NCHC. I believe that to be true. However, we just hired Chris Bergeron away from BG 10 months ago, so I think short term there is little reason to think we would leave the NCHC now. However, if Bergeron is unable to engineer a turn around, THEN I think it is possible we might leave for the CCHA or somewhere else even.
02-21-2020 11:05 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
I wish Buffalo could find a big enough donor to get hockey off the ground :(
02-23-2020 04:44 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(02-23-2020 04:44 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  I wish Buffalo could find a big enough donor to get hockey off the ground :(

Hockey programs seem to compete with basketball programs for financial support and fan support. Adding the sport would likely have a negative impact on your basketball program.
02-24-2020 07:31 AM
All American

(02-21-2020 11:05 PM)DICK Wrote:  

Relevant paragraphs:

You are saying there is no credibility in that article because leaving the NCHC is something you are very much against. There is one reliable poster on Hawktalk that stated that several athletic department members expressed concern over just how much money it is costing to play in the NCHC. I believe that to be true. However, we just hired Chris Bergeron away from BG 10 months ago, so I think short term there is little reason to think we would leave the NCHC now. However, if Bergeron is unable to engineer a turn around, THEN I think it is possible we might leave for the CCHA or somewhere else even.

And just how much more is it to travel to Bemidji State than St. Cloud? You are really only talking about the 2 Colorado schools, NoDak, and UNO. Fine quit scheduling Providence, Maine, and UMass-Lowell and find somebody more local OoC. Problem solved.

Moving to the CCHA would cost us EVERYTHING. It would be a lost cause that only the dreamers of the distance past support based on an image that no longer exists.

Show me how actual data and math of how the NCHC with an improved out of conference schedule is more expensive than the CCHA. Otherwise it is YOU that are just living in your rear view mirror. I'd rather be the Indiana of the Big Ten than the Miami of the MAC. and the CCHA wouldn't even be the equivalent of the MAC, more like the Ohio Valley Conference. It would be doom to Miami Hockey. The CCHA is doomed with that lineup of schools in my opinion as it is already.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2020 09:55 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
02-24-2020 09:51 AM
All American

Relevant paragraphs:

The Miami admin can't even get the ticket office to run properly and are absolutely amateurish at marketing, but Im supposed to put any credibility on their decision making of conference affiliation? Good grief, they are so passive and out of touch that it is a liability on the Athletics Department in general.
02-24-2020 09:58 AM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(02-21-2020 02:21 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Show me how actual data and math of how the NCHC with an improved out of conference schedule is more expensive than the CCHA.

Travel in the CCHA will be significantly less expensive than travel in the WCHA or the NCHC. That's pretty obvious, isn't it?

I'm not sure what point there is in bringing out of conference scheduling into it except to muddy the water.

As a Bowling Green fan, I would be delighted to welcome Miami back to the CCHA. We had a huge crowd in Bowling Green for Miami's visit this past winter, even though the students were on break. It would be great fun to play more of these games every year.

If the CCHA and Miami can't work this out now, maybe in the future. Or, perhaps Western Michigan will rethink it's position at some point. A trade of Bemidji State and Minnesota State for Miami and Western Michigan seems to make enormous sense.
02-24-2020 10:42 AM
TalonsUpPuckDown Offline
Water Engineer

(02-24-2020 09:58 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

Relevant paragraphs:

The Miami admin can't even get the ticket office to run properly and are absolutely amateurish at marketing, but Im supposed to put any credibility on their decision making of conference affiliation? Good grief, they are so passive and out of touch that it is a liability on the Athletics Department in general.

Per Bergeron in a conversation I had with him a couple years after the formation of the NCHC, Miami's first year NCHC travel costs went up $150k over the CCHA. And in that first year your only significant OOC travel was to Providence and no way did it cost $150+ to travel there so this "It's our OOC travel that's the true cost driver, not the NCHC schedule" is bunk. Oh, and your attendance since joining the NCHC is down every year except 2016-17 which means you have to borrow even more from your general fund to make up the difference. Oh, and Miami is in the top quartile of the entire MAC when it comes to borrowing from the general fund to cover athletics cost overruns.

Now I'm not saying you're going to make the move, but if your AD isn't at a minimum considering this as a viable option he's not meeting his fiduciary responsibilities.

As Deming said, "In God we trust...all others bring data," so here's my data (a numbers guy from Boston University maintains these):
Analysis of college hockey attendance: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
Analysis of college hockey revenue/expense: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2020 03:28 PM by TalonsUpPuckDown.)
02-24-2020 03:24 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
And in the end, it is St. Thomas, joining Bowling Green in the CCHA and doubling the number of all-sports Division 1 schools in the CCHA.

https://news.stthomas.edu/july-29-2020-press-release/
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2020 02:17 AM by BruceMcF.)
08-03-2020 02:16 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I’m interested to see how St Thomas stacks up when they join.
08-03-2020 05:15 PM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
This works. St. Thomas sure is biting a lot off in this move from Division III to Division I. The location is nice, though.
08-04-2020 11:21 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(08-04-2020 11:21 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  This works. St. Thomas sure is biting a lot off in this move from Division III to Division I. The location is nice, though.

I never realized how large they are. 10,000 students and a $540M endowment. I'm sure they can pull D1 off if their academic donor base translates to the athletic donor base.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2020 04:08 PM by mufanatehc.)
08-04-2020 04:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.