Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Western Oregon residents petition to join Idaho
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
“Rural counties have become increasingly outraged by laws coming out of the Oregon Legislature that threaten our livelihoods, our industries, our wallet, our gun rights, and our values,” Mike McCarter, one of the chief petitioners, said in a news release. “We tried voting those legislators out but rural Oregon is outnumbered and our voices are now ignored. This is our last resort.”

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nort...11726.html
02-18-2020 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
RE: Western Oregon residents petition to join Idaho
Idaho's getting hammered by Californian immigrants. They'd just be buying time until they can expect more of the same.
02-18-2020 10:35 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Portlexitia.
02-18-2020 10:40 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(02-18-2020 10:35 AM)Mav Wrote:  Idaho's getting hammered by Californian immigrants. They'd just be buying time until they can expect more of the same.

There was one study that showed California exiters tended to be more conservative than the residents of the state they were moving to.
02-18-2020 10:41 AM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
And north Idaho (aka not Boise) has been trying to secede from South Idaho since I was born. Will never happen.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2020 11:34 AM by JDTulane.)
02-18-2020 10:42 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(02-18-2020 10:41 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 10:35 AM)Mav Wrote:  Idaho's getting hammered by Californian immigrants. They'd just be buying time until they can expect more of the same.

There was one study that showed California exiters tended to be more conservative than the residents of the state they were moving to.

Why don't you take a trip to Denver and get back to me on that one.
02-18-2020 11:03 AM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
Interesting development. Some counties in southern Oregon and northern California have already voted to approve aligning together to create the state of Jefferson. This new idea basically takes the state of Jefferson concept but merges it into Idaho.

I could absolutely see the local southern Oregon majority approve of the move - not sure it would gain approval in the Oregon legislature or by Idaho or Congress.

May be they would finally get a decent East-West interstate freeway to southern Oregon. It's currently a long, convoluted path from Boise to Medford.

Statehood realignment!
02-18-2020 11:12 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(02-18-2020 11:12 AM)YNot Wrote:  Interesting development. Some counties in southern Oregon and northern California have already voted to approve aligning together to create the state of Jefferson. This new idea basically takes the state of Jefferson concept but merges it into Idaho.

I could absolutely see the local southern Oregon majority approve of the move - not sure it would gain approval in the Oregon legislature or by Idaho or Congress.

May be they would finally get a decent East-West interstate freeway to southern Oregon. It's currently a long, convoluted path from Boise to Medford.

Statehood realignment!

The OP link mentions northern California joining the petition, as well.
02-18-2020 11:14 AM
450bench Online

I Root For: Memphis
Libs ruined another state apparently...
02-18-2020 09:12 PM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
The taxes are outrageous

Another beautiful state destroyed by loons

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
02-18-2020 09:56 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
wow:
[Image: Capture.PNG]

ridiculous as it sounds at first, the first thing you do with a disease is isolate/quarantine it so it does not infect the rest of the body.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2020 10:09 PM by GoodOwl.)
02-18-2020 10:08 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
(02-18-2020 10:08 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  wow:

ridiculous as it sounds at first, the first thing you do with a disease is isolate/quarantine it so it does not infect the rest of the body.

Kind of looks like a reverse Texas.
02-18-2020 10:31 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(02-18-2020 10:31 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 10:08 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  wow:

Kind of looks like a reverse Texas.

If the political divide we have in this country continues unabated and grows worse, I can see us eventually splitting up into reshaped states all over the country.

Maybe even two countries with weird borders.

Not in my lifetime, but maybe some Millennials here.
02-18-2020 11:26 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I think we are approaching the point as a nation where there are such severe differences in opinion between the NE and west coast elites and those in "flyover country" that some sort of split will eventually come about. Canada is maybe even more divided, if anything, and I still think the driver may be Alberta. If they secede, and under Canadian law they can, and there is considerable impetus to a secession movement there, then I think a number of places start to take a hard look at whether this can go on.

I could see a setup where BC unites with CA, OR, and WA on the west coast, and ON, QU, and the maritimes join with New England, the Middle Atlantic states, and some of the Midwest--maybe every state that touches on the Great Lakes--to form one country (or possibly two), with flyover US and Canada forming a second (or third). The question would be how some states--Virginia and Nevada come to mind--and provinces--SK and MB--choose to align.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 09:09 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
02-19-2020 09:04 AM

(02-19-2020 09:04 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think we are approaching the point as a nation where there are such severe differences in opinion between the NE and west coast elites and those in "flyover country" that some sort of split will eventually come about. Canada is maybe even more divided, if anything, and I still think the driver may be Alberta. If they secede, and under Canadian law they can, and there is considerable impetus to a secession movement there, then I think a number of places start to take a hard look at whether this can go on.

I could see a setup where BC unites with CA, OR, and WA on the west coast, and ON, QU, and the maritimes join with New England, the Middle Atlantic states, and some of the Midwest--maybe every state that touches on the Great Lakes--to form one country (or possibly two), with flyover US and Canada forming a second (or third). The question would be how some states--Virginia and Nevada come to mind--and provinces--SK and MB--choose to align.

I watched a high level long format discussion with Jordan Peterson and Rex Murphy and Rex asks Jordan about the stability and polarization of the US. To my surprise he said he didn't think it was that polarized, and his evidence was things were way nastier under Nixon. A quick reading of the history of Kent State suggests that's a credible claim. That's before my time so I have no context on that.
02-19-2020 10:03 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(02-19-2020 10:03 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(02-19-2020 09:04 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think we are approaching the point as a nation where there are such severe differences in opinion between the NE and west coast elites and those in "flyover country" that some sort of split will eventually come about. Canada is maybe even more divided, if anything, and I still think the driver may be Alberta. If they secede, and under Canadian law they can, and there is considerable impetus to a secession movement there, then I think a number of places start to take a hard look at whether this can go on.

I watched a high level long format discussion with Jordan Peterson and Rex Murphy and Rex asks Jordan about the stability and polarization of the US. To my surprise he said he didn't think it was that polarized, and his evidence was things were way nastier under Nixon. A quick reading of the history of Kent State suggests that's a credible claim. That's before my time so I have no context on that.

There was a much stronger center then, the "Silent Majority." Now the McGovernites were as nasty as AOC and Co. And you had the Wallace group who hadn't accepted the Civil Rights revolution. But you didn't have John McCormack or Carl Albert (I had to look them up to remember) ripping up Nixon's state of the union address. You had conservatives, moderates and liberals in both parties.
02-19-2020 10:12 AM
Advertisement

(02-19-2020 09:04 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I could see a setup where BC unites with CA, OR, and WA on the west coast, and ON, QU, and the maritimes join with New England, the Middle Atlantic states, and some of the Midwest--maybe every state that touches on the Great Lakes--to form one country (or possibly two), with flyover US and Canada forming a second (or third). The question would be how some states--Virginia and Nevada come to mind--and provinces--SK and MB--choose to align.

[Image: 800px-2016_Nationwide_US_presidential_co...re.svg.png]

[Image: US%202012%20Presidential%20Election.jpg]

[Image: obxsAT9.png]

These maps, to me, yield these rough divisions:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10240]

Attached File(s)
.png  gts-na-map-2020.png (Size: 59.68 KB / Downloads: 171)
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 10:54 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
02-19-2020 10:53 AM
450bench Online

I Root For: Memphis
Again, the truth of the matter is liberals ruin everything they touch.
02-19-2020 11:14 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
I don't see the U.S. and Canada merging anything at all, but I can certainly see the U.S. splitting up into 2 or more parts. After all, we have about the same land mass as Europe (minus Russia), which has about 50 countries.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 12:17 PM by TripleA.)
02-19-2020 12:17 PM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The only way this occurs is through another civil war.

Civil wars take a lot of effort and with the people today it won't happen.

We will keep chugging along until the earth decides it is time to get rid of the pest called humans or WWIII realigns everything.
02-19-2020 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.