ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Transfer Rule
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
OT: Transfer Rule
Now, with two P5 Conference ADs in support, you better believe this will happen sooner rather than later. Athletes in all sports will be allowed a one-time transfer without sitting out.

Honestly, I think it's the right call. In my mind, it has to be everyone sits one year or no one does, and this is actually probably doing right by the players. It has the potential of really hurting midmajors, but such is life.

02-17-2020 04:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarx Online
Hall of Famer

RE: OT: Transfer Rule
I think all student athletes should have to sit. Though if they do start getting paid I guess you could put the athlete on contract. This sucks IMO. A coach can’t count on any player from year to year. Athletes expect their scholarships will be honored even if they suck, but in this case if a player exceeds expectations they can just go in a whim. If this happens just go ahead and call the G5 the P5 farm system.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2020 05:54 PM by monarx.)
02-17-2020 05:53 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

The G5 is already a farm league for P5s. The problem was selectively choosing who had to sit or not ait a year.

I actually like the sot if before grad and no sotting if you are a grad hard and firm rule but it was never applied evenly.

I dont mind the rule. If you are a college athlete and your coach leaves (or assistant) or you just dont like the university, why not let them have another chance? They are 17-18 years old when making these decisions.
02-17-2020 06:26 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

You have a chance now. So you get another year of free college and living expenses, and don’t lose any eligibility. How horrible. The only disincentive for a player not to jump at the first P5 money and luxuries to wink at them is sitting a year. I don’t think that’s so bad. This and allowing unlimited paying of players will finally separate the Ps from the Gs
02-17-2020 10:36 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
We would absolutely benefit to this rule as well, when players who don't pan out in major conferences transfer to us (imagine having AJ Oliver active last season). I think the good thing about it is you only get the immunity once.
02-18-2020 07:32 AM
BigBlueBobby Offline
1st String

wow why is it when I hear this I immediately think of us losing more players than gaining more players?
02-18-2020 07:36 AM
Advertisement

bluelight Offline
1st String

(02-18-2020 07:32 AM)odu09 Wrote:  We would absolutely benefit to this rule as well, when players who don't pan out in major conferences transfer to us (imagine having AJ Oliver active last season). I think the good thing about it is you only get the immunity once.

That is good news for JJ. In 7 years he has counted on transfers. Very few top talent freshmen have been recruited by this coaching staff. If the rule is passed JJ could cut the recruiting budget by just taking transfers. In his system, freshmen usually don't play much anyway.
02-18-2020 08:20 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(02-18-2020 08:20 AM)bluelight Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 07:32 AM)odu09 Wrote:  We would absolutely benefit to this rule as well, when players who don't pan out in major conferences transfer to us (imagine having AJ Oliver active last season). I think the good thing about it is you only get the immunity once.

That is good news for JJ. In 7 years he has counted on transfers. Very few top talent freshmen have been recruited by this coaching staff. If the rule is passed JJ could cut the recruiting budget by just taking transfers. In his system, freshmen usually don't play much anyway.

Yay, more P5 reject projects like Kithcart and Dickens. Because I am sure that if these schools with unlimited resources can't motivate their work ethic, keep them supplied with clean piss, keep them from punching trainers or womens players, or keep them out of trouble, JJ is the answer for all their problems. They just need to be stripped of their self-esteem, yelled at, and publicly berated. Seems to be working splendidly.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2020 08:38 AM by EverRespect.)
02-18-2020 08:38 AM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Wow, even this thread has become a "bash JJ" thread. This place sure is fun. I'm outta here for a while. I'll see some of you at the games.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2020 08:44 AM by ODUCoach.)
02-18-2020 08:43 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(02-18-2020 08:43 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Wow, even this thread has become a "bash JJ" thread. This place sure is fun. I'm outta here for a while. I'll see some of you at the games.

Now you see why I took a 2 month break. This place kind of sucks now.
02-18-2020 08:51 AM
bench jockey Online
1st String

Yeah, bye. I'll leave it to you guys to wallow in this **** stream.

Sent from my SM-J320V using CSNbbs mobile app
02-18-2020 08:57 AM
Advertisement

DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

This could impact FCS schools who benefit from FBS football transfers who don't have to sit out dropping down. This should be a one time deal, you don't want kids transfering every year.
02-18-2020 09:17 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2020 08:43 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Wow, even this thread has become a "bash JJ" thread. This place sure is fun. I'm outta here for a while. I'll see some of you at the games.

If you just ignore Ever, Razor, and a hand full of psudeo Bobbywhatever names, it makes the board a lot more tolerable.
02-18-2020 09:37 AM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(02-18-2020 09:17 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  This could impact FCS schools who benefit from FBS football transfers who don't have to sit out dropping down. This should be a one time deal, you don't want kids transfering every year.

Great point!
I suspect that a significant number of transfers, if not almost all who previously went FCS, would no longer drop down.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2020 10:15 AM by ODUalum78.)
02-18-2020 10:14 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2020 10:14 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 09:17 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  This could impact FCS schools who benefit from FBS football transfers who don't have to sit out dropping down. This should be a one time deal, you don't want kids transfering every year.

Great point!
I suspect that a significant number of transfers, if not almost all who previously went FCS, would no longer drop down.

Maybe the FCS programs will get the kids who have shopped & dropped their two FBS programs 05-stirthepot
02-18-2020 10:49 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

The more I think about it, I believe it could help ODU. Football more than basketball and WBB. See players coming home, a popular reason to transfers and we have a lot of athletes from the 757 going away to schools.
02-18-2020 03:43 PM
Advertisement

Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(02-18-2020 03:43 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  The more I think about it, I believe it could help ODU. Football more than basketball and WBB. See players coming home, a popular reason to transfers and we have a lot of athletes from the 757 going away to schools.

The flip side hurts though. Imagine a guy having a breakout year and a P5 comes calling. 99.9% of kids are going to bail for the P5 life.
02-18-2020 04:43 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2020 04:43 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 03:43 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  The more I think about it, I believe it could help ODU. Football more than basketball and WBB. See players coming home, a popular reason to transfers and we have a lot of athletes from the 757 going away to schools.

The flip side hurts though. Imagine a guy having a breakout year and a P5 comes calling. 99.9% of kids are going to bail for the P5 life.

Yep. Say goodbye to the Ximines, Heineke, Lawry type players if this happens.
02-18-2020 08:22 PM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(02-18-2020 08:22 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 04:43 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

Yep. Say goodbye to the Ximines, Heineke, Lawry type players if this happens.

Worst part will honestly be a lot of guys will be poached to fill a hole for a year... I would rather all athletes sit a year.
02-18-2020 08:41 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Could be a free for all. Think about a coach leaving that the players like and the whole team transfers out, leaving the cupboard bare.
02-18-2020 08:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.