Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

$$ for new building plans at NIU
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
$$ for new building plans at NIU
Funding has been released by the state for planning for two new facilities at NIU. The one tied to the Illinois Innovation Network mentions a site north of the Convocation Center. If that's the undeveloped field on the north side of Lucinda Ave., wasn't that the planned site for the new baseball stadium in the master plan for athletic facilities?

Here's the link to the Star online ...

https://northernstar.info/news/state-rel...1896d.html
02-14-2020 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: $$ for new building plans at NIU
Whatever happened to NIU's plans to build a proton therapy center over 10 years ago?

Did they go into the same black hole as Frazier's grand facility master plan?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/...nding-wall
02-14-2020 04:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doggone Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(02-14-2020 04:05 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Whatever happened to NIU's plans to build a proton therapy center over 10 years ago?

Central Dupage Hospital received funding and built one first. There was no need for a second in the area.
02-14-2020 04:31 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

(02-14-2020 04:05 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Whatever happened to NIU's plans to build a proton therapy center over 10 years ago?

A pipe dream...never would have progressed...even thinking about NIU doing
such a project was ridiculous

I have my suspicions but no facts to back them...
02-14-2020 06:36 PM
HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

(02-14-2020 04:01 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  Funding has been released by the state for planning for two new facilities at NIU. The one tied to the Illinois Innovation Network mentions a site north of the Convocation Center. If that's the undeveloped field on the north side of Lucinda Ave., wasn't that the planned site for the new baseball stadium in the master plan for athletic facilities?

Here's the link to the Star online ...

https://northernstar.info/news/state-rel...1896d.html

As far as the baseball field that was the original plan but the latest I heard was to just renovate the current field but where are they even gonna get the money to do that?
02-15-2020 09:28 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

That's what I thought, as an alternative if they "needed" that site north of the Convo. And good point on the cost of renovation. But any renovation of the existing field is going to be more expensive that just repair/replacement. If you read the "official" athletic master plan, one of the justifications for a new field is that the current one has the sun in the batter's eyes the majority of daytime.

In other words, the whole field was built facing the wrong way. Home plate should look toward the northeast, like the softball field on the east side of the Chessick (home plate at the southwest corner, like Wrigley Field). So a project would mean tearing down the bleachers, backstop, etc. and building new ones. A complete new stadium because some idiot forgot batters can't wear sunglasses.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2020 10:31 AM by pvk75.)
02-15-2020 10:28 AM
Advertisement

62423dp Offline
Special Teams

[quote='pvk75' pid='16678461' dateline='1581780521']
That's what I thought, as an alternative if they "needed" that site north of the Convo. And good point on the cost of renovation. But any renovation of the existing field is going to be more expensive that just repair/replacement. If you read the "official" athletic master plan, one of the justifications for a new field is that the current one has the sun in the batter's eyes the majority of daytime.

In other words, the whole field was built facing the wrong way. Home plate should look toward the northeast, like the softball field on the east side of the Chessick (home plate at the southwest corner, like Wrigley Field). So a project would mean tearing down the bleachers, backstop, etc. and building new ones. A complete new stadium because some idiot forgot batters can't wear sunglasses.
[/quote

The standard for all ballparks is to have home plate in the SW corner of the field. NIU baseball stadium is a complete embarrassment. I feel bed for Coach K and his staff. They have lost multiple recruits due that monstrosity of a field. Horrid infield, drainage scoreboard, dugouts. Not to mention the lack of fan amenities such as restrooms and accessibility. It’s pathetic. Easily one of the worst D1 ballparks in NCAA.
02-15-2020 11:23 AM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
I've seen plans for the refurbished baseball field and they look awesome. It will be great if they ever get to it.
02-15-2020 11:51 AM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(02-15-2020 11:23 AM)62423dp Wrote:  [quote='pvk75' pid='16678461' dateline='1581780521']

[/quote

The standard for all ballparks is to have home plate in the SW corner of the field. NIU baseball stadium is a complete embarrassment. I feel bed for Coach K and his staff. They have lost multiple recruits due that monstrosity of a field. Horrid infield, drainage scoreboard, dugouts. Not to mention the lack of fan amenities such as restrooms and accessibility. It’s pathetic. Easily one of the worst D1 ballparks in NCAA.

I've spent many hungover Saturdays and Sundays watching games at that field as a student. And you're right, most highschools have a better field than us. Even some Community Colleges.
02-15-2020 01:06 PM
HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

(02-15-2020 10:28 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  That's what I thought, as an alternative if they "needed" that site north of the Convo. And good point on the cost of renovation. But any renovation of the existing field is going to be more expensive that just repair/replacement. If you read the "official" athletic master plan, one of the justifications for a new field is that the current one has the sun in the batter's eyes the majority of daytime.

Renovation might not mean that complete overall that you mentioned. I have batted there many times ( many years ago) don’t remember the sun being a problem to me or teammates but yes it doesn’t face the way it should.
02-15-2020 01:28 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
The new one is supposed to have lights too, which will mitigate the sun issue by having games at night.
02-15-2020 01:38 PM
Advertisement

HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

I was contacted by the athletic department last summer about their preliminary plans and it’s in 3 phases if I remember correctly...again I don’t see where the $ is coming from as but hopefully it works out.
02-15-2020 01:45 PM
62423dp Offline
Special Teams

(02-15-2020 01:38 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  The new one is supposed to have lights too, which will mitigate the sun issue by having games at night.
Minimal games would be played at night. Lights would be nice for late spring early summer for tournaments or teams not named NIU.

There will not be a “new” stadium anytime soon and an upgrade to the current facility is slim and none. This program is closer to being done than getting a new stadium or upgrade.
02-15-2020 02:34 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(02-15-2020 11:23 AM)62423dp Wrote:  [quote='pvk75' pid='16678461' dateline='1581780521']

[/quote

I was public address announcer in 92, 1st hear back. We did games in a pint size construction trailer about 5 feet off the ground. I think there was 2 sets of bleachers on each side where I am pretty sure you couldn't see the whole field. It was no better than watching a 16 inch game at a public park. Actually, I have seen better. The Roseland Little League field looks like Camden Yards next to it.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2020 02:45 PM by randyfensfanclub1.)
02-15-2020 02:43 PM
jjj Offline
Special Teams

The new Informatics building is going to be in one 4 locations ( a poll was given to faculty).

1. Next to library on west side (they will replace the parking lot with the building).
2. Directly north of the convo center.
3. North of College of Business on the North40.
4. Monanto building in Sycamore (this is not a joke!) How the heck would students be able to go to a class at Monsanto and be back on campus for their next class????
02-15-2020 02:48 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

What bothers me is our State does not have the money for this.
02-15-2020 05:50 PM
Advertisement

DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
(02-15-2020 02:48 PM)jjj Wrote:  The new Informatics building is going to be in one 4 locations ( a poll was given to faculty).

1. Next to library on west side (they will replace the parking lot with the building).
2. Directly north of the convo center.
3. North of College of Business on the North40.
4. Monanto building in Sycamore (this is not a joke!) How the heck would students be able to go to a class at Monsanto and be back on campus for their next class????

Please, please, please #1
02-15-2020 07:56 PM
NIU2007 Offline
Water Engineer

02-15-2020 08:35 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

Damn...what about the proposed olympic sports facility they were planning to build there?
02-15-2020 09:45 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

(02-15-2020 08:35 PM)NIU2007 Wrote:  Baseball Plans

https://d81ldo19jx3e0.cloudfront.net/niu...s-Park.pdf

From the artwork, it looks like the field will "point" the way it is.

----------
For the record:
From the Athletic Facilities Master Plan, 2014 ...
Ralph McKinzie baseball field, overview, page 20:
"The field and the entire facility is oriented such that players are facing south and looking into the sun when standing at home plate. This is the complete opposite of the desired orientation."

----------
So they're going to spend money to rebuild the whole place without turning it, which wouldn't be all that much more considering what's in the "new" plan. Curious. Is this yet another NIU master plan we're ignoring?

That said, I think it's great that it will honor Coach O. Well-deserved and another NIU tradition respected.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2020 10:11 PM by pvk75.)
02-15-2020 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.